Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  20
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rance retires to focus on family and faith

He mastered the role he was given and became the best at that role in the AFL .
    His coach found what his strong points were and used them, his weaknesses were covered by the team recognising them and helping him in those areas.
    He was a very good reliable player who all teams would have wanted but you had to play the right game style to bring the best out of him.
    Kudos to Hardwick a great coach who can adjust his game style to the list he has.
    Beveridge is much the same where I see Clarkson as a coach who buys players to suit his game style.
    Bring back the biff

2. Thanks strebla thanked for this post
    Likes divvydan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Beveridge is much the same where I see Clarkson as a coach who buys players to suit his game style.
    Has there ever been a coach win a premiership in their second (or first) year of senior coaching?

Think Chris Scott did, but that doesn’t count.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Has there ever been a coach win a premiership in their second (or first) year of senior coaching?

Alan Joyce, but if Chris Scott doesn't count Joyce would count even less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post

Charlie Clymo won the premiership with Geelong in his one and only year coaching.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Damien Hardwick slams online trolls over Alex Rance retirement rumours

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has slammed “weak” keyboard warriors for smearing Alex Rance following his sudden AFL retirement.

Speaking for the first time about Rance’s departure, Hardwick said there was “nothing sinister” in the premiership defender’s decision to walk away the game last month with two years still to run on his contract.

“That’s what people do, I think they sit there and they hide behind keyboards and it’s weak. It’s incredibly weak and it’s incredibly disappointing from my point of view,” Hardwick said.

“There’s no truth to it, there’s nothing to it. This man is a man who’s been devoted to his family and his faith for a long period of time and there’s nothing more sinister than that.”

Hardwick said the door was open for Rance to return but wants what’s best for him, sharing the sentiments of premiership defender Bachar Houli who on Thursday said he ”prayed” his former teammate will return to footy.

Rance remains on Richmond’s list but Hardwick isn’t planning on him pulling on the yellow and black jumper this year.

“At this stage he’s retired in our plans, but plans can change,” Hardwick said.

“My more important thing is to make sure Alex is happy in his journey in life.

“Alex’s always been an incredible player for us, but his family and his faith have always been at the forefront of his mind. Whatever makes Alex happy, makes us happy.

“Is the door ajar? Probably it is but the ball is in Alex’s court from that point of view.”

Hardwick said his players preferred to acknowledge Rance’s achievements in private as he addressed the lack of social media tributes from them after the five-time All-Australian announced his retirement.

“I know we probably copped a little bit of flak with regard to that but it’s not how our club operates. We tend to leave the phones at home and the phones where they are,” he said.

“The more and more we hug, we love – all that sort of stuff is very much a part of us.

“(Rance) knows exactly how we feel about him, how important he is to the fabric of our organisation. So he’ll be heavily missed, not only as a football player, but as a person.”

Hardwick said he wasn’t caught off-guard by Rance’s early retirement despite most being shocked by the decision.

“We probably thought it may come to this at some stage – and it has,” Hardwick said.

“We would’ve liked to have got a couple of years out of him, but once again Alex’s happiness is at forefront of our mind.”

7. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good on you Dimma. Like the guy. I think he and Bevo have a lot in common-high EQ and truly care for their club and players taking a holistic view.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Good on you Dimma. Like the guy. I think he and Bevo have a lot in common-high EQ and truly care for their club and players taking a holistic view.
    I'm not a fan. To be honest I think he tends towards talking a lot of bollocks.

But then he's the Richmond coach so it would be a bigger surprise if I had a good word to say about him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    They are good mates as well
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Damien Hardwick slams online trolls over Alex Rance retirement rumours

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick has slammed “weak” keyboard warriors for smearing Alex Rance following his sudden AFL retirement.

Speaking for the first time about Rance’s departure, Hardwick said there was “nothing sinister” in the premiership defender’s decision to walk away the game last month with two years still to run on his contract.

“That’s what people do, I think they sit there and they hide behind keyboards and it’s weak. It’s incredibly weak and it’s incredibly disappointing from my point of view,” Hardwick said.

“There’s no truth to it, there’s nothing to it. This man is a man who’s been devoted to his family and his faith for a long period of time and there’s nothing more sinister than that.”

Hardwick said the door was open for Rance to return but wants what’s best for him, sharing the sentiments of premiership defender Bachar Houli who on Thursday said he ”prayed” his former teammate will return to footy.

Rance remains on Richmond’s list but Hardwick isn’t planning on him pulling on the yellow and black jumper this year.

“At this stage he’s retired in our plans, but plans can change,” Hardwick said.

“My more important thing is to make sure Alex is happy in his journey in life.

“Alex’s always been an incredible player for us, but his family and his faith have always been at the forefront of his mind. Whatever makes Alex happy, makes us happy.

“Is the door ajar? Probably it is but the ball is in Alex’s court from that point of view.”

Hardwick said his players preferred to acknowledge Rance’s achievements in private as he addressed the lack of social media tributes from them after the five-time All-Australian announced his retirement.

“I know we probably copped a little bit of flak with regard to that but it’s not how our club operates. We tend to leave the phones at home and the phones where they are,” he said.

“The more and more we hug, we love – all that sort of stuff is very much a part of us.

“(Rance) knows exactly how we feel about him, how important he is to the fabric of our organisation. So he’ll be heavily missed, not only as a football player, but as a person.”

Hardwick said he wasn’t caught off-guard by Rance’s early retirement despite most being shocked by the decision.

“We probably thought it may come to this at some stage – and it has,” Hardwick said.

“We would’ve liked to have got a couple of years out of him, but once again Alex’s happiness is at forefront of our mind.”
    And what else did we really expect not my club so I really don't care. Defen. Him hate him whatever his dad never played enough games
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    And what else did we really expect not my club so I really don't care. Defen. Him hate him whatever his dad never played enough games
    Even if Murray had played enough games then I still wouldn't want Alex at our club. For one thing where would we have played Brian Lake? Lake found his feet at fullback so do we move him away from there to accommodate a one position player? That's a good way to *!*!*!*! up two players just to find a possie for one.

14. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Even if Murray had played enough games then I still wouldn't want Alex at our club. For one thing where would we have played Brian Lake? Lake found his feet at fullback so do we move him away from there to accommodate a one position player? That's a good way to *!*!*!*! up two players just to find a possie for one.
    And his first few years he was terrible, shocking kick , he just stuffed up everything.
    I Thought he was lucky to get another contract at one stage.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

For *!*!*!*!s sake can this bloke make it all about himself any more? Now he's talking about a comeback:

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/alex-...ement-c-724984

He's a deadset cancer on a playing group. I am so glad that he didn't qualify as a father son with us and end up at the bulldogs. Luckily Murray has the same moral standards as his son and shot through from Footscray before he played 100 games.

17. Likes Rocket Science liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is all so weird.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

For *!*!*!*!s sake can this bloke make it all about himself any more? Now he's talking about a comeback:

He's a deadset cancer on a playing group. I am so glad that he didn't qualify as a father son with us and end up at the bulldogs. Luckily Murray has the same moral standards as his son and shot through from Footscray before he played 100 games.
    I don't get your angst with this, he has stated he is happy with things as they are now but won't rule out a possible return to Richmond
    Of course he should make a decision and stick with it but all he is doing is keeping his options open given his contract.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Rance the Elder was responsible for my first football heartbreak after he visited our primary school for a clinic along with Supa MacPherson the week prior to us representing the Dogs in the Big M Little League and I decided there and then he was the best player - and bloke - of all time ... until the prick jilted us. Why Murray? I couldn't understand.

It promptly cemented my love for Supa though, especially when he took it upon himself to be the bad cop on the beat.

Anyway yes, Rance the Younger is an insufferable twat.
    BORDERLINE FLYING