Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rance retires to focus on family and faith

Rance retires to focus on family and faith

Champion Richmond defender Alex Rance has announced his retirement from AFL – effective immediately, to focus on his family and faith.

The five-time All Australian has been considering his future in recent months and has decided to retire from playing football to focus on the other important areas of his life, being his family and his religion.

Rance, 30, informed his teammates this morning that he was calling time on his 200-game career.

“I am someone who will always give their best to what they commit to, and I’m proud of the time, energy and dedication that I’ve put towards my football career,” Rance said.

“Right now, I feel I have served my purpose in terms of my on-field performance and cultural impact, and I’m so grateful to the football club for their support and care in allowing me to do that in my own unique way.

“Now I feel is the right time for me to put the same time and energy into other areas of my life that need it, and to prioritise the more important things to me, such as my spiritual growth, my family and friends.”

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale paid tribute to the departing defender.

“Alex, his manager and the Club have been in regular communication about Alex’s future, and while we will miss him dearly at our football club, we understand and respect his need to step away from football to focus on his personal life,” Gale said.

“He leaves this Club a highly-decorated premiership player and it has been a privilege for all us to watch him play. He is clearly one of the greatest players to have pulled on the Richmond jumper.”

“Alex has been the ultimate competitor, an incredible character of the Club, and a fine example of a Richmond Man.

“Although he’s stepping away from playing football, he’ll always be part of Richmond and we wish him and his family all the best for the future.”

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rance retires to focus on family and faith

I do admire him for doing what he thought was right, despite the huge amount of pressure (money, public etc) that would no doubt be weighing on him.

This is great for us. We’ve troubled them generally anyway in the last few years, but our new forward line will make it super tough for their Ranceless backline.

3. Thanks whythelongface thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

17 clubs will be happy with this. A brilliant player.

Wonder if Richmond will look to a KPD in the SPP. C'mon down Fletcher Roberts!
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

5. Likes Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The downside of this I suppose is that Richmond will free up a large chunk of salary cap and probably make another huge signing at the end of next season?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    The downside of this I suppose is that Richmond will free up a large chunk of salary cap and probably make another huge signing at the end of next season?
    If it's any consolation, Tom Lynch's deal is heavily back ended.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    If it's any consolation, Tom Lynch's deal is heavily back ended.
    Rance was contracted until the end of 2021 and I doubt Richmond expected him to play on after that. Perhaps Lynch's deal is structured to increase from 2022 when Rance was due to come off the books?

I assume Alex will be walking away from the money due in the final 2 years of his contract so it gives the Tigers options to restructure other deals like Lynch and bring payments forward.

Post Thanks / Like

He's had a terrific career, Good luck to him for the future
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I do admire him for doing what he thought was right, despite the huge amount of pressure (money, public etc) that would no doubt be weighing on him.

This is great for us. We’ve troubled them generally anyway in the last few years, but our new forward line will make it super tough for their Ranceless backline.
    Have they beaten us since we won the flag? If not, they technically haven’t knocked off the defending champs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Have they beaten us since we won the flag? If not, they technically haven’t knocked off the defending champs
    Yeah they fell over the line in the last round 2018 I think it was.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yeah they fell over the line in the last round 2018 I think it was.
    Yep, came over for that one and we had them on the ropes, but couldn't land the final blow. Lynch's 50 odd metre snap hit the post and that was that.

Post Thanks / Like

Tremendous career after initially looking like a panic merchant .
    Went from someone who turned the ball over and a poor decision maker into the premier defender
    Was a bit Easton wood in spoiling to the detriment of his team also
    Great news for us

Post Thanks / Like

I read he retired when he saw Naughtons guns.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Has been a superstar but Richmond have shown they’re capable of winning flags without him. Good on him for doing what’s right for him

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Has been a superstar but Richmond have shown they’re capable of winning flags without him. Good on him for doing what’s right for him
    It's interesting to note that even with the loss of Rance this year I don't know any of their supporters who used his injury as an excuse that they may not win the flag.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's interesting to note that even with the loss of Rance this year I don't know any of their supporters who used his injury as an excuse that they may not win the flag.
    Yeah the excuses came in 2018. They thought all they had to do was turn up toward the end of 2018 and the flag was theirs.

At Dimmer's press conference after they fell over the line against us in the last round 2018 I've never seen a bigger disconnect between what someone was saying and what actually happened out on the ground. Dimmer virtually said "oh well, we didn't turn up today but that's OK we can flirt with our form" and I remember thinking "I bet that you can't flirt with your form"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite