Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11

View Poll Results: What is our pass mark for 2020?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Top 5

3 6.12%
  • Top 6

7 14.29%
  • Top 7

1 2.04%
  • Top 8

4 8.16%
  • 9th or 10th

0 0%
  • Nothing short of a flag or a GF

6 12.24%
  • A finals win

22 44.90%
  • Top 4

6 12.24%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pass Mark for 2020

We have recruited well and have a strong list so I'm interested even at this early stage what would be regarded as a pass mark for the 2020 season

Some food for thought

- We have 13 players that have played over 100 senior games. Daniel (91) will get to 100 games mark this year
    - We have another 8 with more than 50 games under their belt. Naughton and Richards will get there in the first half of the season
    - Bruce and Naughton are two of the most elite contested marking forwards in the game and Schache could be anything
    - Tim English is getting a lot of recognition as both an emerging quality ruck man in the competition but also because of his preseason
    - Our highly rated midfield in Bontempelli, Macrae and Dunkley

So after finishing in the top 8 in 2019 what is a pass mark for us in 2020? The goal is of course to win a premiership but I think we can be a bit more realistic than that but if it happens then great.

Outside on injuries what might catch us out?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pass Mark for 2020

Finishing top 6 and a finals win would be a bare minimum pass mark for me, given the midfield talent we have and the addition of 2 mature key position players. Bont is in his absolute prime and we need to take advantage of having such a generational talent.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

3. Likes GVGjr, anfo27, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Finishing top 6 and a finals win would be a bare minimum pass mark for me, given the midfield talent we have and the addition of 2 mature key position players. Bont is in his absolute prime and we need to take advantage of having such a generational talent.
    Good suggestion. I've added a finals win to the options

Post Thanks / Like

With this squad I'll say I'll be disappointed not to make the Grand Final(can you add that option?)
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we have a blend of young and experienced players that should see us play in September.
    Bont and the elite midfield should give us every opportunity to give great service to what I think is a deadly forward line.
    With it now harder to flood the aerial targets in the forward 50 we should be very excited.
    The only thing that could curtail us playing really deep at the end of the season would be injuries.
    If this group stays healthy hold on to your hats boys and girls.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Top 6 is it for me with a home final which we should win is the pass mark for me. Then the sky is the limit.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we have pushed all the chips into the middle of the table - It's Grand Final or bust for me.

The targeted recruiting of Bruce and Keath is something I have NEVER seen from our club before and I think that the Footy Department thinks our time is now. I would be disappointed if we don't finish top 4 and play DEEP into September. Given 'top 4' wasn't an option, I am voting premiership!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

9. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I think we have pushed all the chips into the middle of the table - It's Grand Final or bust for me.

The targeted recruiting of Bruce and Keath is something I have NEVER seen from our club before and I think that the Footy Department thinks our time is now. I would be disappointed if we don't finish top 4 and play DEEP into September. Given 'top 4' wasn't an option, I am voting premiership!
    So anything less than a top 4 finish is a fail?

I'm not quite sure we have the list profile to be so confident in 2020 but I suspect our real aim is top 4 in 2021

As comrade said with the likes of Bont and I'm assuming Macrae and Dunkley and a host of others the club owes it to the players to aim high for 2020 and for the next 2 seasons after that. A 3 year horizon to see what we can achieve

11. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A finals win will be a pass mark . Adding Libya to our on ball team may just crack the premiership window ajar !!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Top 4 for me with a deep finals run.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Top 4 for me with a deep finals run.
    Same for me. We have the players to go all the way but at minimum top 4 for me and at least a finals win.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I say top 4.

Plenty of good sides though and a few who should continue to improve. I can't really see the Cats or Pies getting better, but Richmond, Eagles, Brisbane and Giants should improve based on age profile and/or players back from injury. A lot needs to go right, but we have depth across all lines and quality players in key posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Setting a pass mark is a little different to what the club should be aiming for

Sure it should be top four and even a grand final but I'd be disappointed if we finished roughly where we did last year around number 7 or 8 especially if we meekly lost a final.
    If we were to finish in the top 6 though then we have a good chance to make an impact

A couple of more wins during the home and away season and an encouraging finals performance or two should be seen as a pass.

17. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have the potential to finish top 4 if we have no injuries and are consistent but I’ll go for top 6 and a home final hopefully a finals win as B4L said. Need a strong start to the season to get us in a strong position and not be catching up as we did last season to get in.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    A finals win will be a pass mark . Adding Libya to our on ball team may just crack the premiership window ajar !!
    Is Libya meant to be Libba but it autocorrected?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite