Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunkley: Young Dog turning heads

link

Emerging ruckman Tim English has been among the early pre-season standouts, according to star midfielder Josh Dunkley.

Dunkley, who enjoyed a breakout 2019 and has been elevated to the Western Bulldogs’ leadership group for 2020, said the 22-year-old big man had been tearing up the training track over the past month.

“I think Timmy English is one to look out for, he’s been training the house down,” Dunkley said.

“He’s always a good trainer in the pre-season and the way he’s moving at the moment, it’s going to be huge for us if we can get him as a ruckman performing for us.”

English, like Dunkley, also had a career-best season in 2019 as he played 20 AFL games and established himself as one of the competition’s most exciting young big men.

Dunkley, speaking at a joint training session alongside the AFLW team on Saturday, said he was looking forward to the year ahead and being part of the leadership group for the first time.

“It’s exciting. For me personally, I like to lead by actions – I’m not really a loud talker as many of the boys would know,” Dunkley said.

“I like to lead by what I do on the field.

“I’m not going to change too much the way I go about things, and hopefully I can lead by example.

“We haven’t really sat down and said where we want to go, it’s more about the now and trying to put your best foot forward in pre-season… really building that base and then we can attack the early part of next year.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes strebla, Mofra, WBFC4FFC, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dunkley: Young Dog turning heads

Set for a big 2020 Tim. I look forward to seeing more progression from him.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Great work by Dunks.

Midfielders always make fun of ruckman. Because they are tall, and, many would say a little bit 'less intelligent' than other players.

But Dunks? He understands that the ruckman is the guy who chooses who he hits the ball down too...so he pumps up Tim's tyres just a little bit...2-3 extra clearances for him each week, extra numbers on his contract come renewal time.

Smart.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Last week journos were tweeting that English is the standout of pre-season so far.

We played him 'raw' last year and he improved markedly as the season wore on so he should be primed for this year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

6. Likes Eastdog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Inject this into my veins.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

8. Likes Bulldog4life, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Last week journos were tweeting that English is the standout of pre-season so far.

We played him 'raw' last year and he improved markedly as the season wore on so he should be primed for this year.
    Could be one of our biggest improvers next year.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Love reading this. The big chilli bush can be the driver of our improvement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Could be one of our biggest improvers next year.
    If he isn't, his improvement may still have the biggest impact on team performance.

We were simply smashed in the ruck H1 last year, and I don't see that happening this year with English approaching maturity. He has all the tools to be one of the top rucks of the competition. If he simply becomes 'competent' (he's a baby in ruck terms) it will be a massive boost for us.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder why so many great ruckmen come from WA?

Polly Farmer
    NicNat
    Aaron Sandilands
    Dean Cox
    Andrew Purser
    Stephen Michael
    Graham Moss
    Ron Alexander
    Mike Fitzpatrick
    Tim English (give it a couple of years-no pressure son)

Feel free to add to the list.
    Is it something in the water over there that makes kids grow really tall? Or do we all smoke too much in Victoria
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Great work by Dunks.

Midfielders always make fun of ruckman. Because they are tall, and, many would say a little bit 'less intelligent' than other players.

But Dunks? He understands that the ruckman is the guy who chooses who he hits the ball down too...so he pumps up Tim's tyres just a little bit...2-3 extra clearances for him each week, extra numbers on his contract come renewal time.

Smart.
    Lol I'm sure that was his intention. There's always one player tearing up the preseason track fmd
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Great work by Dunks.

Smart.
    When I played cricket I always made a point of learning what the umpires' names were. "Good decision George" "Yep that was going down leg for sure" "come over and have drinks with us George" "That must have been pretty close but I can see what you mean"

"That must be out George" and George would usually say "Yeah son, I think that you might be right"

16. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely your joking George there's no way I hit that !!!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Get the feeling we're gonna hear this about Tim every pre-season from now until he retires.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Surely your joking George there's no way I hit that !!!!
    That can wait until drinks after stumps. "did you really think that was LBW George? I totally thought that I hit it"

Because George will always be back to umpire another match and it usually only took a raised eyebrow for him to think "Nah, he's obviously not out, he would have said otherwise"

20. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Get the feeling we're gonna hear this about Tim every pre-season from now until he retires.
    Eternal potential player, if he only keeps fit leading up to every preseason you're one hundred percent right. He'll retire and people will continue to point out how his improvement could shape our season.

The bouffant alone gets it done.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.