link

Emerging ruckman Tim English has been among the early pre-season standouts, according to star midfielder Josh Dunkley.

Dunkley, who enjoyed a breakout 2019 and has been elevated to the Western Bulldogs’ leadership group for 2020, said the 22-year-old big man had been tearing up the training track over the past month.

“I think Timmy English is one to look out for, he’s been training the house down,” Dunkley said.

“He’s always a good trainer in the pre-season and the way he’s moving at the moment, it’s going to be huge for us if we can get him as a ruckman performing for us.”

English, like Dunkley, also had a career-best season in 2019 as he played 20 AFL games and established himself as one of the competition’s most exciting young big men.

Dunkley, speaking at a joint training session alongside the AFLW team on Saturday, said he was looking forward to the year ahead and being part of the leadership group for the first time.

“It’s exciting. For me personally, I like to lead by actions – I’m not really a loud talker as many of the boys would know,” Dunkley said.

“I like to lead by what I do on the field.

“I’m not going to change too much the way I go about things, and hopefully I can lead by example.

“We haven’t really sat down and said where we want to go, it’s more about the now and trying to put your best foot forward in pre-season… really building that base and then we can attack the early part of next year.”