Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  45
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Brisbane Lions

Post Thanks / Like

Brisbane Lions

From the Hun

I'm not sure how much of a bonus Birchall will be given his struggle with injuries and if you are listing Deven Robertson as one of the 8 reasons why they can improve I think that is a bit of a stretch. Their quality midfield that runs very deep is their strength and I think they have some excellent key position players.
    They should be in for another top 6 spot in 2020

1. UPWARD TREND

After winning five games in each of the 2017 and 2018 seasons, last season was a breakout campaign for the Lions under coach Chris Fagan. The side won 16 games to finish second on the ladder, stunning the football world before bowing out of finals in straight sets. But the experience should prove invaluable going forward. While veteran defender Luke Hodge has hung up the boots, the Lions’ list is largely young and improving and that bodes well for them to again push their case as a serious contender in 2020 and potentially take another step or two forward.

2. GRANT BIRCHALL

One out, one in. While Hodge might have retired from the Brisbane backline, one of his four-time Hawthorn premiership teammates in Grant Birchall has been added to help fill the void. Yes, Birchall has had knee and hamstring issues which have restricted him to just eight games in the past three years, but the Lions would not have picked up the unrestricted free agent if they did not believe he could get his body right. Birchall has spoken of his hope a “fresh start” will help and is confident that at 31 years old he can still have a meaningful impact. An All-Australian in 2012, Birchall averaged 22.9 disposals across 24 games in his last full season in 2016.

3. NO.1 MIDFIELD

You read that right. Forget Collingwood, West Coast or Greater Western Sydney. It is the Lions who have the No.1 midfield in the competition according to Champion Data. The calculations, which are based purely on individual talent, not only include the primary on-ballers but also the wings. Lachie Neale, who finished equal-third in the Brownlow Medal in 2019, leads the charge in the Brisbane engine room along with captain Dayne Zorko, Jarryd Lyons and wingman Mitch Robinson — all of whom are rated elite in their positions by the AFL’s official statisticians. From a team perspective the No.1 rating matches up, with the Lions ranked second for clearances and fourth for inside-50s last season.

4. SECOND-YOUNGEST LIST

Brisbane will start next season with an average list age of just 23.43 years old. That puts them ahead of only Gold Coast Suns (23.24). That is excitimg for a team that played finals last season because it suggests there is more upside to come. Developing key forward Eric Hipwood, wingman Hugh McCluggage, former No.1 draft pick Cam Rayner, midfielder Jarrod Berry, key defender Alex Witherden and 2019 Rising Star nominee Noah Answerth will all start next season under the age of 23. Their ceilings are seemingly much higher than what they have produced to date.

5. ERIC HIPWOOD

Young key position players generally take time to develop and forward Eric Hipwood is no different. While still producing a solid 2019 season, he perhaps did not take the step forward many had thought he might. However, entering his fifth season, now is his time to shine. The 204cm big man booted 35.29 from 23 games last season but ranked below average for disposals, kicking and one-on-one contests. The Lions clearly believe he can take further steps forward, though, after signing him to a three-year contract extension estimated to be worth $2 million in September. Brisbane believes Hipwood has been crucial to the growth of their forward line in recent years with his team-first. Former St Kilda and Essendon star Brendon Goddard believes Hipwood will add some real consistency to his game in 2020.

6. SCORING POWER

The Brisbane forward line has plenty of firepower and finished last season as the highest scoring team in the competition. The Lions averaged 91 points a game during the home-and-away season, consistently finding a wide range of avenues to goal. Including finals, Charlie Cameron kicked 57 goals, Hipwood contributed 35, midfielder Zorko logged 23, wingman McCluggage kicked 23 and key forward Daniel McStay booted 21 goals. Mid-sized forward Lincoln McCarthy and Cam Rayner each kicked 20 goals to make for a total of seven players who contributed 20 or more goals. Geelong was the only other club to match that feat.

7. CAM ELLIS-YOLMEN

The former Adelaide onballer did not gather much fanfare when he was signed as a free agent during the trade period, but the Lions are excited by what they have picked up. Ellis-Yolmen was somewhat a forgotten player last season, not featuring for the Crows after Round 13 because of a stress reaction in his right leg. However, across 10 games in the first half of the season he averaged 23.5 disposals (12.3 contested), 4.9 clearances, 5.5 tackles and 93 SuperCoach ranking points. He will still be in his prime at 27 when next season starts and the Lions think he can add another big body to their midfield and provide clean clearances while also potentially pinch-hitting forward.

8. DEVEN ROBERTSON

Brisbane’s first pick in the 2019 AFL National Draft did not come until No.22. But they managed to pick up a player who some clubs rated as a potential top 10. The nephew of former West Coast captain Darren Glass, Robertson captained Western Australia at the national championships and was named the best-and-fairest player in Division 1 after breaking Sam Walsh’s record for the most disposals at the tournament by averaging 30 a match. A tough ball-winning machine, Robertson looks ready to feature at some stage next year and looms as a serious talent of the future.

CHAMPION DATA SAYS

It’s no surprise that Brisbane’s strength is in their midfield, rated as the No.1 midfield and ruck combination in the competition. They have three elite players in Dayne Zorko, Jarryd Lyons and Lachie Neale while new recruit Cam Ellis-Yolmen is rated above average.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks strebla thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brisbane Lions

Hard to see them anywhere but the top 6.

Strong midfield inside and out, some good tall timber at both ends and enough veteran experience to cover what is otherwise a youthful list. The GABBA is also an advantage as not a lot of teams travel well there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Hard to see them anywhere but the top 6.

Strong midfield inside and out, some good tall timber at both ends and enough veteran experience to cover what is otherwise a youthful list. The GABBA is also an advantage as not a lot of teams travel well there.
    They have primarily drafted and developed their list

In 2015 they drafted Schache and Hipwood and obviously Schache came to us
    Then the 2016 was a bonanza for them, McCluggage, Berry, Witherden and McInerney have been excellent and they would be hopeful that Cox and Allison kick on
    In 2017 they landed Rayner, Bailey and would be hopeful with Starcevich

Landing Lyons and Neale were the big bonus for them and helped them in having a legitimate midfield

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    They have primarily drafted and developed their list

In 2015 they drafted Schache and Hipwood and obviously Schache came to us
    Then the 2016 was a bonanza for them, McCluggage, Berry, Witherden and McInerney have been excellent and they would be hopeful that Cox and Allison kick on
    In 2017 they landed Rayner, Bailey and would be hopeful with Starcevich

Landing Lyons and Neale were the big bonus for them and helped them in having a legitimate midfield
    Yes, they're a good case study of drafting best available and have got lucky with a few astute trades where the timing fell into their laps with Neale wanting out and his best mate from back home heading up North, while the Lyons one is still a head scratcher. It would have been easy to lose faith after the number of top picks walked in years prior, but they have clearly improved their talent identification, player engagement and now are retaining them.

Post Thanks / Like

Brisbane have done really well in their recruiting and drafting I reckon. They always seem to land the players they go after and although I am not the greatest Cam Rayner fan in the World I wouldn't mind reliving them of some of the talls they have drafted (oh I don't know-maybe A tall forward with a big tank who is good overhead and below his knees and is a beautiful kick of the footy? Do you think they may have a player like that we could take-Oh that's right WE HAVE ALREADY DONE THAT!!!!!! Love ya Joshy!)
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

7. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They should be a top 4 side again, especially playing home games at the GABBA where it is once more becoming fortress. They really need Hipwood to further improve and bag some goals.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm both fond of and bullish about Brissy, but after last season's meteoric rise I wonder if they'll find it doesn't just automatically happen in 2020.

Our tilts against them should be entertaining if nothing else.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They had an ultra juicy draw last year, so will be interesting to see how they cope with a tougher one. Definitely a top 4 contender with their midfield depth, but wouldn't be surprised if they slipped back a touch.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I'm both fond of and bullish about Brissy, but after last season's meteoric rise I wonder if they'll find it doesn't just automatically happen in 2020.

I could see that Melbourne had gotten waaaay ahead of themselves lat preseason and frankly the unthinking way that the media fawned all over them was frankly starting to get on my tits. They thought all they had to do was turn up and they would top 4 no question and there was probably a bit of truth to that. The big problem being that they didn't turn up.

But I don't get that feeling with Brisbane. Whether it's tyranny of distance (and we just don't get much media here about them) or they are genuinely keeping their heads up and arses down remains to be seen but I can see Brisbane making the finals
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

They did a great job at keeping the team on the park although Marcus Adams did his best to drag down the numbers
    If they struggle with injuries I still think they have the depth to cover it but it might test them

Post Thanks / Like

They had to come good sooner or later
    I think top 6 is almost certain with the Gabba being a fortress
    Forward lines a worry with a heavy reliance on Cameron

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I could see that Melbourne had gotten waaaay ahead of themselves lat preseason and frankly the unthinking way that the media fawned all over them was frankly starting to get on my tits. They thought all they had to do was turn up and they would top 4 no question and there was probably a bit of truth to that. The big problem being that they didn't turn up.

But I don't get that feeling with Brisbane. Whether it's tyranny of distance (and we just don't get much media here about them) or they are genuinely keeping their heads up and arses down remains to be seen but I can see Brisbane making the finals
    Tend to agree . Not consuming their own bath water like Melbourne do
    Reckon the way they bowed out might have stung a bit

Post Thanks / Like

I see Marcus Adams finished 2nd in the Brisbane 3km time trial behind Jarrod Berry
    We all know about his constant battles with injuries but that is an impressive effort by Adams and if he can stay health (that's a bit if) he will be a huge bonus for the Lions

I was never happy about losing him

Post Thanks / Like

I see Marcus Adams finished 2nd in the Brisbane 3km time trial behind Jarrod Berry
    We all know about his constant battles with injuries but that is an impressive effort by Adams and if he can stay health (that's a bit if) he will be a huge bonus for the Lions

He's a quality player when he's on the paddock. He's not someone you can bank on for a full season though.

I'm really bullish on Keath so that really softens the blow. Plus La. Young as a tall rebounder, and Lewie Young has shown signs.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

18. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Neither was I but WOW he was terrible for them last year. I'm going to wait until I see some positives out of him on field before I get too upset.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -