Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Our most disappointing loss for 2019?

I'm looking more at the home and away season because I think most people will nominate the final against GWS but by my reckoning two losses stood out for the 2019 season as our worst.

The loss against Carlton in round 5 was just so disappointing.
    A 44 point loss, letting Sam Petreveski-Seton run amok and we simply refused to ask anyone to even attempt to curb his influence. Cripps was produced a monster performance and like SPS we didn't look to tag him.
    Harry McKay made a mess of our match committee selections of going into the game with an undersized defence probably playing his best game of the season. They really caught us napping

The upshot of this loss was when we played them again in round 13 we had players running with Cripps and kept him to a more modest 22 possession performance. The match committee also got it's act together after this game as well

The other heartbreaking performance for me was losing to the North in round 10. Scott's last game at North got their team up for a big performance and we failed early on to meet that challenge.
    Our goal kicking was an issue and English couldn't do anything to curb the dominate Goldstein. Zaine Cordy moved into the ruck for a quarter and got us back into the game while English moved forward and kicked a couple of goals

What are the losses that you considered our worst for 2019?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our most disappointing loss for 2019?

The game against the Suns. Yes they were at their peak but we should be beating any team who has a remotely similar age profile to us. It's a huge part of why many of us were so bullish for the next few seasons - how well we perform despite our relative inexperience.

It was one of the games we went in with Cordy & Wood as an undersized KPD duo which were uniformly agreed was not a long term solution. From memory, Trengove came into the side the next week and structurally we looked 1000% better.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton. Not prepared, no interested, pathetic.

Worst loss of the season by far. I understand the disappointment with the Gold Coast game but at least we dominated the match for 3/4's and seemed to actually, you know, have a go.

I agree with GVGjr that the North loss was disappointing - but to me the disappointment was from FINALLY getting in front...then just allowing them to march straight back in and score.

The loss to Brisbane at the Gabba late was a bit of a pointer to the GWS final where we let their prime movers rack 'em up and just backed ourselves to 'win more than them'...no respect.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add St Kilda to the above. I don't know if disappointed or putrid is the best description though. That first quarter, and first half we made some vanilla footballers look like absolute guns while we were impotent. One goal in the first, three in the second and 43 points down at half time. The result of 27 points at the end flattered us considering they had 13 more scoring shots.

Then a month later at the same venue we kick 21 goals straight. Go figure.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

The Carlton loss had me livid. I couldn't believe how poorly we were prepared and it seemed we just thought they were no chance to beat whatever side we rolled out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'll add St Kilda to the above. I don't know if disappointed or putrid is the best description though. That first quarter, and first half we made some vanilla footballers look like absolute guns while we were impotent. One goal in the first, three in the second and 43 points down at half time. The result of 27 points at the end flattered us considering they had 13 more scoring shots.

Then a month later at the same venue we kick 21 goals straight. Go figure.
    I've said this a few times this year but the one thing players can control is the level of energy they bring to a game
    The Saints game was another in what was becoming a semi regular occurrence where we knew the opposition team had a bit to play for and we just didn't match their intensity early in the game.

It's certainly something that we need to address in 2020. We can't allow teams to bring more heat to the contest than what we do

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    The Carlton loss had me livid. I couldn't believe how poorly we were prepared and it seemed we just thought they were no chance to beat whatever side we rolled out.
    We structured up poorly and just thought we would overrun them but the fact we didn't try and shut a couple of their guys down was confusing. I get Bevo doesn't like us to tag but at times we need to be prepared to use that option

Post Thanks / Like

I had to watch the North game at my mum's place. She ended up throwing me out when I kicked something (I think it was a pillow-problem was it had a teacup perched on top of it) and it hit the telly...

I really, really hate those cow *!*!*!*!ers.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

The Carlton loss by far. They were an absolute rabble and we got killed by them. Disappointing for all the reasons set out above.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    The Carlton loss by far. They were an absolute rabble and we got killed by them. Disappointing for all the reasons set out above.
    In the round 5 game Cripps had 37 possessions and was a dominate player bringing others into the game (32 handballs) but we learned a lesson and manned him up in the round 13 game keeping him to a more modest, by his standards, 22 possessions.

It's hard to know why we are at times lackluster in the early part of games

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    In the round 5 game Cripps had 37 possessions and was a dominate player bringing others into the game (32 handballs) but we learned a lesson and manned him up in the round 13 game keeping him to a more modest, by his standards, 22 possessions.

It's hard to know why we are at times lackluster in the early part of games
    We need to iron it out. We improved as the season wore on, but being consistent with effort and application should be a non negotiable every week.

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Carlton game stands out, with very little effort from the midfield who got smashed that day. To top it off our backline was short and the pressure was really on with the Carlton mids pumping the ball into the F50 so many times.

Not sure if Trengrove, or Lew Young could have been more effective if the ball was coming in so many times, with Cripps winning so many centre clearances. Hopefully lesson learnt, more effort needed from the mids, and team selection is vital - just showed we can't play Wood tall, and Cordy is not a true KPP.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Spoilt for choice on this one!

Blues and Roos an even split for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread could also be called "Welcome back down to Earth: Don't get too cocky just yet"

Some pretty horrible performances to go with the great finish to the year

Post Thanks / Like

I'll go for the Gold Coast and Carlton games. Really bad losses against 2 teams we should have beat. Was at both games and we just weren't on those days. The GC game in particular disappointing on to back up from our great first 2 weeks of season 2019. I would have liked to have got one against the Pies as well but it wasn't to be and I'm hoping we get it all right come Round 1, 2020.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"