Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hawthorn

Post Thanks / Like

Hawthorn

From the HUN

Eight reasons to be excited about Hawthorn in 2020

A Brownlow Medallist returns, a bargain recruit joins the attack and there’s a heap of experience. But perhaps the man in the coaching box is the biggest reason why Hawks fan should be excited this year.

1. SO CLOSE

The Hawks weren’t exactly far off featuring in finals last season. They finished ninth on the ladder, just one game adrift of eight-placed Essendon. It was just the second time in 10 years the Hawks had missed out on September action and they are determined to get back there in 2020. With a strong mix of experienced heads and talented youth — led by master coach Alastair Clarkson — the side looks well placed to return to the top-eight. Internally, the feeling at Waverley Park is that a lot of upside across a lot of different areas.

2. MITCHELL RETURN

The Hawks boast arguably the biggest virtual recruit in the competition in 2020 — midfielder Tom Mitchell. The 2018 Brownlow Medal winner missed the entire 2019 season after suffering a horrific broken leg at training last January. While there are not yet any guarantees that he will be ready for Round 1, that is the goal as Mitchell’s training program gradually builds. The 26-year-old broke the record for the most disposals in a season in 2018 with 848 at an average of 35.3. He also led the league for clearances that season, averaging eight a game. If Mitchell can return to fitness and somewhere near the lofty bar he set himself in 2018, Hawthorn will be thrilled.

3. THE GENERAL

He was the No. 1 draft pick in 2011 and Jonathon ‘The General’ Patton is set to be the No. 1 man in the Hawthorn forward line next season. Patton was the Hawks’ big recruit during the trade period after eight seasons with Greater Western Sydney and will slot straight in to centre-half forward. The 26-year-old has not played a game since Round 15, 2018 due to back-to-back anterior cruciate ligament tears. However, he kicked 38 goals in 2016 and 45 goals in 2017 as he emerged as one of the star key forwards in the competition. Patton arrived at Hawthorn in good shape after being in full training at the Giants for the last month of last season. The Hawks are confident Patton’s best football is still ahead of him.

4. MORE WINGARD

Former Port Adelaide forward Chad Wingard’s start to life at Hawthorn last season didn’t exactly go to script. He missed the opening two rounds with a calf injury and went on to be sidelined for a further six games mid-season due to injury. But Wingard’s last seven games of the year certainly excited the Hawks and coach Alastair Clarkson, giving a glimpse of what the 26-year-old is capable of achieving in 2020. Wingard averaged 23.3 disposals, 6.1 inside-50s, 4.4 clearances, 7.0 score involvements and 87 SuperCoach ranking points across those final seven games playing both through the midfield and as a small forward. With a full pre-season under his belt, the Hawks think Wingard is more than capable of being an All-Australian for the third time in 2020.

5. BRILLIANT BURGOYNE

At age 37, Shaun Burgoyne is the oldest player on an AFL list next season. But the man they call ‘Silk’ still has his touch. Burgoyne played 18 games last season, averaging 16.2 disposals and 77 SuperCoach ranking points primarily playing across halfback. What makes 2020 exciting for Hawks fans is that he is poised to further lift his name in the record books. Currently sitting seventh on the all-time games played list with 376 outings under his belt, Burgoyne needs just eight more games to overtake St Kilda legend Robert Harvey and climb into the top-five on that list. If he were to play every home-and-away game and at least two finals, Burgoyne would become just the fifth player in history to reach 400 games. That would be a feat worth celebrating.

6. FAMILY TIES

The Hawks snagged two top-30 picks in November’s national draft, both of whom have family connections to the club. Will Day was taken at pick 13 and is the grandson of Robert Day, who played 38 games for Hawthorn including the 1971 premiership. Finn Maginness was taken at pick 29 and is the son of two-time Hawks premiership player Scott Maginness. As two highly-touted juniors, both could well feature at senior level at some stage next season. Day is an attacking halfback who is a strong kick on either side of his body while Maginness is consistent ball-winning midfielder who can also push forward.

7. EXPERIENCED LIST

While Shaun Burgoyne skews the figures a little, Hawthorn boasts both the oldest and most experienced playing list entering 2020. The Hawks will start next season with an average list age of 24.9 years, with those players having lined up in an average of 80.4 games each. That suggests Alastair Clarkson’s side should be ready to challenge for a top-eight spot once again. Youth and inexperience will be no excuse.

8. ROUGHEAD REPLACEMENT

Four-time premiership hero Jarryd Roughead has hung up the boots, but the Hawks hold high hopes that 198cm key forward Mitchell Lewis will soon fill his sizeable shoes. A Rising Star nominee last season, Lewis has played just 14 senior games in three years. However, he showed plenty of promise last season to average 11.5 disposals, 4.7 marks, 5.2 score involvements and kick 20 goals from 12 matches. The Hawks will be hoping the 21-year-old can take further strides forward in 2020 and have handed him Roughead’s old No. 2 jumper in a show of faith. Selected at pick 76 in the 2016 national draft, Lewis is shaping as a genuine steal.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hawthorn

Is there a reason why so many in the media and Hawthorn supports think they will be a top 6 team in 2020?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Is there a reason why so many in the media and Hawthorn supports think they will be a top 6 team in 2020?
    They have some pretty handy talent to come back into the team this year with Mitchell and Patton, and O' Meara set to improve.

And the Al Clarkson factor.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    They have some pretty handy talent to come back into the team this year with Mitchell and Patton, and O' Meara set to improve.

And the Al Clarkson factor.
    Mitchell and Patton have been out with very significant injuries and may not get going to the second half of the season, and perhaps not till 2021. Patton may never get back to his best.

Al Clarkson and O'Meara on the other hand.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

I’d love to see Hawthorn’s trade heavy approach fall flat on its arse as they wallow in the bottom 8 for the next decade but I can’t see it happening. They seem to always attract key players for unders and their system allows for unrated draftees to come in and flourish (Worpel, Sicily etc).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Mitchell and Patton have been out with very significant injuries and may not get going to the second half of the season, and perhaps not till 2021. Patton may never get back to his best.

Al Clarkson and O'Meara on the other hand.
    And the kiddy from Melbourne via GWS, number one draft pick but I just can't remember his name-his dad is in recruiting. Should have got a 50 metre penalty in the prelim when JJ ran into the protected zone but the umpire didn't feel like getting executed by overexcited bulldog supporters so he didn't blow his whistle.

Would you have done the Patton deal if you were Hawthorn.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And the kiddy from Melbourne via GWS, number one draft pick but I just can't remember his name-his dad is in recruiting. Should have got a 50 metre penalty in the prelim when JJ ran into the protected zone but the umpire didn't feel like getting executed by overexcited bulldog supporters so he didn't blow his whistle.

Would you have done the Patton deal if you were Hawthorn.
    Scully, and yes for Patton deal. Didn't cost them much
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

They have invested heavily in their ability to get players on the park.

They obviously had great success with Burgoyne and seem to believe that they can fix everyone.

Currently have O'Meara, Scully and Patton who have had enough injury concerns (prior to joining Hawks) , to have careers under serious threat. Wingard apparently had some lesser issues at Port Adelaide

They now add Tom Mitchell to that serious injury group and if they all stand up at close to their best footy Hawthorn will contend.

They also have Impey coming back from a knee and likely to play late in the season.

That means there are 5 of their best 22 who have had to contend with pretty serious long term injury.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    They have invested heavily in their ability to get players on the park.

They obviously had great success with Burgoyne and seem to believe that they can fix everyone.

Currently have O'Meara, Scully and Patton who have had enough injury concerns (prior to joining Hawks) , to have careers under serious threat. Wingard apparently had some lesser issues at Port Adelaide

They now add Tom Mitchell to that serious injury group and if they all stand up at close to their best footy Hawthorn will contend.

They also have Impey coming back from a knee and likely to play late in the season.

That means there are 5 of their best 22 who have had to contend with pretty serious long term injury.
    They also have 7 players over 30 years old, and 5 over 28.

I can't see them contending.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they will drop away due to age and injury.
    I also get the feeling Clarkson will change clubs soon because he will be approached by clubs like Melbourne, Carlton or even the Bombers and see it as a challenge.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm torn. I am a big believer that draft picks are severely overrated and the trading policy Hawthorn have adopted, whilst a bit more heavy handed than what I'd prefer, would vindicate my opinion if it proved successful.

On the flipside, I dislike Hawthorn. I don't like half the players they have targeted, and i would love to see their trade policy backfire on them.

Also if Patton is any better than 2018 Redpath then I'll be amazed. He was struggling before his most recent ACL and has no versatility. Mitch Lewis and Worpel though are worth getting excited about though.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I'm torn. I am a big believer that draft picks are severely overrated and the trading policy Hawthorn have adopted, whilst a bit more heavy handed than what I'd prefer, would vindicate my opinion if it proved successful.

On the flipside, I dislike Hawthorn. I don't like half the players they have targeted, and i would love to see their trade policy backfire on them.

Also if Patton is any better than 2018 Redpath then I'll be amazed. He was struggling before his most recent ACL and has no versatility. Mitch Lewis and Worpel though are worth getting excited about though.
    I think the one thing that the Hawks do better than most is extract value from their late order draft picks
    Their ability to target established players has been pretty effective as well and to top it off they have a great coach

I'm not sure they can perform as well as some in the media expect but they may be just a bit harder to beat than many expected

Post Thanks / Like

Don’t seem them contending but I can see them pushing for the eight.
    Not sure how the much vaunted Hawthorn medical team are going to improve Patton’s movement after that many knee recos.
    Nor prevent another one occurring
    Lewis looks a real prospect , and Mitchell returning is huge obviously

Post Thanks / Like

Hawthorn will be around the mark, with injuries and returning players dictating just how far they can go.

Their midfield has quality and depth, they have enough players who can impact the scoreboard. I'm not convinced on their key position stocks, but will be interest to see how Patton performs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Hawthorn will be around the mark, with injuries and returning players dictating just how far they can go.

Their midfield has quality and depth, they have enough players who can impact the scoreboard. I'm not convinced on their key position stocks, but will be interest to see how Patton performs.
    It might come down to how much they get from Wingard who I think many would have regarded as an under performed star.
    Impey also didn't play well and there will be high expectations on Mitchell getting close to his brownlow medal form.
    They had issues with their key defenders in 2019 and went out and addressed it as a priority
    Sam Frost might be a decent addition for them as he is athletic enough along with Michael Hartley so the Hawks have done what they typically do well by adding depth to their defence without spending much at all plus Jacob Koschitzke missed the season due to injury and will be around the mark this season. That's 3 KP options to go along with Frawley which probably means Sicily can be used in more attacking roles. They're not scared to carry a couple of additional talls because they know they are required.

The quality is there as well, Breust, Smith, Burgoyne, Worpel and O'Meara. If they fix their forward line and extract maximum performances from Breust, Gunston and Smith they might trouble some sides