Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Inside explosive Demons saga

Inside explosive Demons saga:

The secret meetings which toppled former Melbourne president Glen Bartlett by Mark Robinson.

Shortly after he raised issues about Simon Goodwin’s behaviour, then Melbourne president Glen Bartlett says he was run out of town. Go inside the secret meetings and ‘malicious’ campaign which toppled a president.

It was the phone call, in January 2021, which floored Glen Bartlett.

The former Melbourne president believed there were serious behavioural issues involving Demons senior coach Simon Goodwin, so raised this — and other issues — with AFL commission chairman Richard Goyder.

The AFL tells clubs it doesn’t like surprises, but this telephone call from Bartlett to Goyder for guidance surprised Bartlett. Indeed, it stunned him.

Bartlett told Goyder he had been made aware of multiple “serious behaviour issues at a senior level’’ within his club.

“Richard stopped me and said ‘You need to get Gill to a meeting because he’s been dealing with your CEO (Gary Pert) for 18 months about it’,’’ Bartlett now recalls to the Herald Sun.

“This was news to me.’’

The crisis meeting was held on February 2 between Goyder, McLachlan, Bartlett and his vice-chairman and McLachlan’s friend Mohan Jesudason.

“Gill, during the course of the meeting, said Pert had basically engaged in appeasement,’’ Bartlett says.

“Pert was engaged in appeasement at Collingwood for years and was doing the same thing at Melbourne for 18 months.

“I was sitting there in shock, 18 months, and my mind went racing back over various events. I was dealing with this for the previous month or two based on information, and Gill is saying he has been aware of it for 18 months?

“They gave me a real strong message that if I needed to remove the coach, then remove the coach, and if Pert won’t play ball then remove him. I indicated I wasn’t there yet, would follow proper process and may circle back.

“I went and had a discussion with the senior coach (in February) and as far as I was concerned I had done what I was required to by the board and from the AFL meeting.’’

He stops there and says “everything is in my affidavit’’.

Bartlett has launched legal action against Melbourne president Kate Roffey and three club directors, Channel 9, The Age, its reporters Caroline Wilson and Jake Niall.

He has also sent a legal letter to McLachlan, but has not launched action yet.

“I have until 10 June to decide,’’ he says.

Bartlett is taking court action because he says there has been “malicious attack after malicious attack in the media and false stuff put out’’, including McLachlan’s comments in an interview with 3AW’s Neil Mitchell.

Bartlett suddenly resigned after eight years as president in April 2021, when Melbourne was 4-0 and on the road to ultimate glory.

The announcement was a thunderbolt, and speaking publicly for the first time about how events unfolded, Bartlett says the machinations behind the scenes were also troubling.

He says bullying and threats from the media, Melbourne and the AFL, pre and post his departure as club boss, created “serious health issues’’ for himself and fiancee Victoria.

“It’s just been relentless,’’ he says.

“It’s proven to be the most horrendous period of my life.’’

During his interview with the Herald Sun, Bartlett is at times distressed as he reveals the personal toll on him, his family and business.

Vicki even tried to take her life and on the night before the 2021 preliminary final he spent the night in hospital after an incident with Pert and Goyder, he says.

“Vicki made an attempt on her life and I luckily was there and was able to intervene,’’ he says.

“She had a conversation on March 21 with a senior director at Melbourne, where basically some threats were made about me getting stitched up, that it was too hot in the kitchen and I had to get out, stuff like that.

“My fiancee Vicki … she’s lodged formal complaints and I know there is stuff sitting in Goyder and Gill’s emails which haven’t been dealt with, that involves serious mental health and suicide attempts.

“I am disgusted by the way they (Goyder and McLachlan) have handled it.

“I was put into Melbourne by the AFL. I’d never met Gill, and I remember one call. He said ‘We need an answer, we want you to do it, you’ve been anointed by Mike Fitzpatrick and Andrew Demetriou, but we need an answer’.

“Gill spoke to me more times before he had met me than he did after eight years of me putting my full bloody life into the job to turn around Melbourne.”

When he raised issues relating to Goodwin’s behaviour: “He (Gill) was fully briefed, as was Goyder, of what was going down in early 2021 at Melbourne.”

This was just before Bartlett was appointed by the club’s noms and recommendations committee for a three-year extension from late 2021 as president.

Just weeks later, Bartlett was being run out of town — he says because he was pushing for hair testing for all club leaders including the president, CEO, executives and coaches.

“You’d have to talk to Vicki, but it was like ‘he doesn’t see this coming’, the threat was he was going to be destroyed, the comment was made that she (Roffey) wasn’t going to be able to stop her media friends from stitching Glen up,” Bartlett recalls.

“And Richard and Gill have done nothing about any of the threats and bullying.

“Gill hasn’t been prepared to meet her. They get a defamation lawyer to ring up Vicki’s support person to say there’s nothing to see here.

“Does someone have to commit suicide before they pull their finger out and have a cup of coffee with you? Like, ‘are you OK, can we talk through this’?

“My blood boils when I think about it.

“Richard Goyder’s favourite answer to me, even on the hair testing, which he supported me introducing, was ‘I’ll just check with Gill and I will come back to you’. He never came back to me. That was two weeks before I got tapped on the shoulder.’’

A health and safety lawyer and HR expert, Bartlett says he felt he needed to act decisively on the hair testing.

“I wanted it introduced for anyone in charge of people. I wanted hair testing, really in solidarity with the players, but I had in mind a stronger policy (than for the players) — a two-strike policy, first strike some education and welfare, and do another test and if you test positive you’re out,’’ Bartlett says.

“I had a debate with Pert about it, then spoke to Goyder and Goyder’s first thing was, ‘I think it’s a really sensible idea, Glen, I’ll just run it past Gill and get back to you’.

The crisis meeting between Goyder, McLachlan, Bartlett and Jesudason has become infamous after being revealed by the Herald Sun early last year.

“I know for a fact your coach is out drinking with players at the Sorrento pub — are you crazy? That doesn’t work,” McLachlan allegedly said at the meeting.

‘’You can’t be doing that s--t. You have to make tough decisions. It doesn’t work.”

But soon after, Bartlett says McLachlan changed his narrative.

“Gill was talking to people around me,’’ Bartlett says.

“Clearly the AFL endorsed this change. Why? The only thing that changed was me going hard on this hair testing. That was the only thing.’’

Asked if he believes there was a cover up, Bartlett says: “What do you think? There’s been so much bulls--t spun out about why I stepped down. I’m not a dumb guy, I’m not a precious guy, but why do you think I’m suing? It’s not because I’m not president.’’

Asked if he believes there was a protection racket, he says: “Put it this way, if it was just a boardroom coup that’s something different. But there’s no way those guys (Melbourne directors) are ringing me up without Pert and Gill’s support.

“The question for Gill is, in that meeting when he talks of 18 months of appeasement, what was he talking about? Basically, Goyder said on February 2, that ‘Glen, there are no secrets in the AFL, players and staff all know what’s going on and everyone is looking to you to do something’.

“I think the AFL abandoned me. If you look at my resume and what I’ve done for the game. They put me in there, they made it clear I had their full backing during February and March in 2021. I had their full backing to do whatever I wanted.

“The only thing that changed was my push on hair testing.

“All I wanted to do, was create the very best environment for all of our people, not sack people because they had made a mistake or two, but make sure I could look every parent in the eye and say I was doing everything to create the best environment which was free of illegal drugs, gambling, workplace bullying, sexual harassment, infidelity, bad behaviour … that’s what I was about.’’

Bartlett stood down as president on April 9 and as a director on November 4, 2021.

“I remember that day (November 4), because there was a pretty ordinary article about me on the AFL website,’’ Bartlett says.

“Vicki rang up Brian Walsh (AFL senior executive), she was on the phone to him for about 45 minutes, and she gave Walshy an absolute lashing and the headline on that article was changed. And within half an hour, I had a text message from Richard Goyder thanking me for everything I’ve done for Melbourne.

“This is seven months after I stood down as president, a text message thanking me and a missed call from Gill, seven months later.’’

Grand final week was also extremely stressful for the couple, as media attacks escalated and they felt excluded from events, he adds.

Vicki complained to Walsh and Andrew Dillon, who is tipped to replace McLachlan as CEO, about an article in The Age by Caroline Wilson.

“Vicki — who was specifically targeted in an article by Wilson — asked ‘When has this targeting of a former president and his fiancee ever happened before?’ And they both said never. They both acknowledge I didn’t get the normal thank you letters Gill sends and the normal things the AFL does to recognise people like me. I don’t really care about that, but what I care about is, what is a life worth?

“I will give you an example of Gill and you can quote all of this. We are about to break a 57-year drought, I was told I’d be sitting with Pert and the other directors, but I was put outside the roped off area, and everyone could see I was on the outer. I had a nice seat but I was seated away to make a point in my view.

“At quarter-time Pert spoke to Vicki and me. I told Pert to make sure you collect us after the game. No one did. We got to the lift, you’ve got Gill, Kate Roffey, Pert, and instead of saying ‘Let Glen and Vicki in’, the doors closed and they went down to ground level.

“Anyway, I’m standing in the race with old mates John Worsfold and Andrew Embley. Vicki was taking a photo of us and Gill was standing behind us, and Gill moved his head at almost right angles to get out of the photo.

“You know what Gill said to me? Not Glen, congratulations well done. None of that. He’d been walking around saying to people he felt awkward about me and Vicki being at the finals – why would he feel awkward? Anyway, he said ‘When the siren goes make sure you and Vicki don’t go on the ground and wait over on the side by the race’.

“I said, yeah, no worries Gill. As if that was going to ever happen.

“The lengths they have gone to try to eliminate me, to expunge me … you’ve got to ask why?’’

Bartlett says he did receive a phone call from McLachlan about 18 months after he stepped down as president and months after he’d sent the AFL boss a legal letter.

“He rang and basically said ‘All this legal stuff is basically crap, Glen’,” Bartlett says.

“I asked him if he had read anything and he said ‘no’.

“I said ‘As AFL CEO, how can you say it’s all crap if you haven’t read anything’?

“He said ‘It’s crap and I think you need a different perspective, I think you need some medical help and we’ve got the best medical people at the AFL’.

“I basically told him to get stuffed. I was disgusted. That tells you a lot about how they deal with people. Where were you 18 months ago — hiding behind a pillar or playing polo?’’
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks jeemak, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Inside explosive Demons saga

Crikey, he basically spells out what was going on here :
    -----

“The only thing that changed was my push on hair testing.

“All I wanted to do, was create the very best environment for all of our people, not sack people because they had made a mistake or two, but make sure I could look every parent in the eye and say I was doing everything to create the best environment which was free of illegal drugs, gambling, workplace bullying, sexual harassment, infidelity, bad behaviour … that’s what I was about.’’

------
    Goodwin was part of the Crows teams that miraculously found legs late in games, and Essendon during the drugs saga.

Melbourne seem to run out games pretty well too yeah?

Post Thanks / Like

Gee it paints a lousy picture of the AFL. Very manipulative. Not sure what to think of Pert.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't fill you with much confidence that Gil will take anything seriously does it. Kind of a sweep under the carpet kind of scenario based on the above. Makes me wonder how hard they've pushed the allegations levelled at Clarkson and Fagan or anything else for that matter.

Seems to me the top brass role at the AFL is solely focused on making as much money as possible and ensuring they successfully navigate the role while being suitably attired in their 'nothing sticks to me' teflon pants.

6. Likes macca, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems like an extra chapter is needed in the book the Boys Club.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

8. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Gee it paints a lousy picture of the AFL. Very manipulative. Not sure what to think of Pert.
    So does the book The Boys Club. So no real surprises.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Doesn't fill you with much confidence that Gil will take anything seriously does it. Kind of a sweep under the carpet kind of scenario based on the above. Makes me wonder how hard they've pushed the allegations levelled at Clarkson and Fagan or anything else for that matter.

Seems to me the top brass role at the AFL is solely focused on making as much money as possible and ensuring they successfully navigate the role while being suitably attired in their 'nothing sticks to me' teflon pants.
    I suspect it's seeping into the clubs as well. It's more about the optics and controlling things than the fans.

Post Thanks / Like

That's pretty damning.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    That's pretty damning.
    I couldn't imagine the AFL is happy to have it's manipulative shenanigans aired like this.
    Gil wants to leave on a big note with Tassie deal done but the longer he stays the more we keep hearing about how the HQ hides things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post

And to think we probably only know or suspect about 10% of the shady deals Gil and the team have kept under wraps.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder why they didn't want hair tests done on the coaches?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Seems like an extra chapter is needed in the book the Boys Club.
    I read that and so did hubby, based on some posts of woofers, possibly you azabob. Wow, that article totally backs up the book and the unethical journos that back up HQ. You can smell the stink. Hope Bartlett and his partner Victoria are receiving mental health support, any reasonable person would need it after what they’ve been through. He helped turn around Melbourne FC into the powerhouse they are and that’s how they treat him? Disgraceful. I think the hair testing was a great idea. Leaders acting like caring, real leaders instead of puffing their chests out and being ignorant boors, or as Warner’s so elegantly wrote in his excellent book “cashed up bogans”.

16. Likes Dogs 24/7, macca, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be worried if any leaders refuse hair test. It be hypnotical of afl to try to uphold the 3 strikes policy, if they don't do the same for the administration.

I really cannot believe how poorly Barlett and his partner has been treated, considering what a basket case the Dees were when he took over. Then again.. not surprised in that type of closed circles and self belief world they foster.

Lets see how long they take to unravel ?

In terms of legacy, well the game is harder to watch with all the stupid rule changes that have been allowed and questionable umpiring decision that occurs more frequently now in the game. . The holding the ball decision was literally thrown out when Petracca had it.

18. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Winning sure hides a lot of sins
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

20. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Part 2

Paul Roos has strongly endorsed former Melbourne president Glen Bartlett, likening his character to Sydney Swans icon Richard Colless.

Colless was Sydney’s president for 20 years and employed Roos as coach, as did Bartlett at Melbourne, where Roos coached for three years before handing the role to current coach Simon Goodwin.

Roos joined the Demons in 2013, when the club was at rock bottom, after meetings with Bartlett and then chief executive Peter Jackson.

“One of the reasons I went to Melbourne was obviously Peter Jackson, but Glen as well,’’ Roos said.

“He’s real values-based, understands the role of the board, I can’t speak highly enough of him.

“He was very strong on values and that’s why he and I aligned so quickly, and Peter, because when things aren’t going great, what can you hang your hat on? Bringing good people in, having a values-based system, holding people accountable…’’

Roos, who was one of the most respected voices in football, said Bartlett’s departure from the Demons in April, 2021, was “murky’’.

His comments come as Bartlett lifts the lid on the events that led to his sudden departure, just four rounds into the club’s premiership season in 2021.

“I’ve heard bits and pieces, but the only thing I could say about Glen is, when I was working with him, he was exceptional,’’ Roos said.

“He understood everything we were trying to do, and he was super supportive of me.

“Was he pushed, I don’t know, but in terms of my relationship with him, he’s just straight up, what you see is what you get, how can I help you, etc etc.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to work with Richard Colless who was great and Glen Bartlett was amazing, Andrew Ireland, Peter Jackson, they’ve all been very good.

“I’ve seen a lot of people in footy who are there for the wrong reasons, he wasn’t one of them. He wasn’t there for his own ego, or for his own success. He was pretty much there to put the club on the right path.”

Roos said he last connected with his one-time understudy Goodwin after the 2021 grand final win over the Western Bulldogs via a text message.

“I texted him and said awesome, I texted all the players I coached, and it was great to hear from Goody, saying yes, mate, we got there, the vision we had was great,’’ Roos said.

“That was the last time, a couple of years ago.’’

GOODWIN RESPONDS TO SHOCK DEMONS REVELATIONS

Lauren Wood

Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin says he will not give any “oxygen” to further claims surrounding concerns relating to his alleged behaviour in recent years.

Former president Glen Bartlett revealed he was told by AFL chairman Richard Goyder that Goodwin had been monitored by league boss Gillon McLachlan and club chief executive Gary Pert for “18 months” in early 2021.

But Goodwin - who spoke on Tuesday morning - refused to answer direct questions about whether he knew.

“With all due respect, I spoke about this two years ago and I said it was irrelevant to me back then and it’s irrelevant to me now,” he said.

“I’ve got more important things to worry about in terms of Brisbane’s stoppages, Lachie Neale, their potent forward line than talking about Glen Bartlett. I’m going to leave that there.”

Bartlett said he had pushed for hair testing of AFL executives and senior coaches, and resigned as club president soon after.

Goodwin would not be drawn on whether he supported hair testing.

“Any thought time, any energy. It’s irrelevant to me.”