Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  20
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hawthorn

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hawthorn

I don't mind the recruitment of Hannan. At least he kicks straight when he has a shot at goal. 55.30 is a good conversion rate these days.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Dew was a handy player for Hawthorn in the grand final. Kicked 3 goals from memory and helped them win a premiership.

3. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Dew was a handy player for Hawthorn in the grand final. Kicked 3 goals from memory and helped them win a premiership.
    It looked like it was a bust early as he pinged a hammy in the first few rounds of the season, though as per your comments well worthwhile picking him up.

I think however MJP was referring to him not being on the wish list of any other club. I remember at the time of his last year at Port he was reported to be sitting at ~105kg which is a lot for a six footer (trust me, that's what I'm sitting on now post COVID after which the paddock I was in was named after me)!
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Article here

'We are the Tassie Hawks': Jeff not ruling out move

If I was a Hawks supporter, I would be livid with the President. I don't understand how Hawthorn got Kennett back to the club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Hawks will pay traded stars O’Meara, Mitchell $750,000 in 2023

I still don't understand why they wanted to get rid of these blokes?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

They know their position and they are investing in youth.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

If they're on their list, they'd have to play them (they would be better than the alternatives). So they offloaded them and will get experience into younger guys.

Collingwood got smashed in the media cause of their list management a few years back, but if you look at the Hawks, this is really bad too. Having to pay someone to play elsewhere AND giving them away for pretty crap picks should be a sackable offence for a list manager. Surely a lot has to go wrong for this to occur.

Post Thanks / Like

Technically we now have Hawthorn funding Adam Treloar to play for us.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    If they're on their list, they'd have to play them (they would be better than the alternatives). So they offloaded them and will get experience into younger guys.

Collingwood got smashed in the media cause of their list management a few years back, but if you look at the Hawks, this is really bad too. Having to pay someone to play elsewhere AND giving them away for pretty crap picks should be a sackable offence for a list manager. Surely a lot has to go wrong for this to occur.
    If Collinwood didn't perform so well they would really be copping it.
    It's a bad thing for clubs to be salary cap dumping.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMahatma View Post
    Having to pay someone to play elsewhere AND giving them away for pretty crap picks should be a sackable offence for a list manager. Surely a lot has to go wrong for this to occur.
    Not much needs to go wrong.

1/. Clarkson wanted 'young' senior players in the club to replace the premiership stars.
    2/. He has reached 'can do whatever he likes status' so the club supported him.
    3/. He has now left so time to right the wrongs.

Not sure the list manager can be blamed for any of this...a club putting the wishes of an individual ahead of the long-term future of the footy club to chase a flag? Well, that's fine...but you need to know where your list is at so you know whether 'the chase' is a viable proposition. For the Hawks it wasn't. For the Cats? Well, as it has turned out, it was.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

14. Likes Dogs 24/7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Not sure the list manager can be blamed for any of this...a club putting the wishes of an individual ahead of the long-term future of the footy club to chase a flag? Well, that's fine...but you need to know where your list is at so you know whether 'the chase' is a viable proposition. For the Hawks it wasn't. For the Cats? Well, as it has turned out, it was.
    The Cats had their greatest ever player (Selwood) and their greatest ever goalkicker (Hawkins) and a genuine superstar (Danger) still on their list so they were well placed for another crack at it and were absolutely right to do so.
    Clarkson had nowhere near that yet still went all in, so I do wonder whether it is possible to truly know where your list is at 'from the inside'?

Hawks are in stage 1 of a rebuild.... and I do wonder how Amon feels about this given he signed on before these trade moves
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Hawks are in stage 1 of a rebuild.... and I do wonder how Amon feels about this given he signed on before these trade moves
    Surely he's fine with it. I mean, it's not like Hawthorn were ready to contend or make finals with O'Meara, Mitchell and Gunston. If Amon thought anything other than rebuild, I'd be worried for his sake.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

There has been a bit of spirit displayed in some of the Hawks match simulations with some push and shove between players.
    Even Sicily got pushed around in one a week or two back. Now if you have captain ambitions you can't be losing those test of strengths.

Yesterday Grainger-Barras sparked two scuffles.

Is there any need to be concerned from a Hawks perspective?
    Would Mitchell and the coaches let the leaders sort it out or would he need to get involved?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There has been a bit of spirit displayed in some of the Hawks match simulations with some push and shove between players.
    Even Sicily got pushed around in one a week or two back. Now if you have captain ambitions you can't be losing those test of strengths.

Yesterday Grainger-Barras sparked two scuffles.

Is there any need to be concerned from a Hawks perspective?
    Would Mitchell and the coaches let the leaders sort it out or would he need to get involved?
    I think Mitchell would actively encourage such 'unsociable' training.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The Cats had their greatest ever player (Selwood) and their greatest ever goalkicker (Hawkins) and a genuine superstar (Danger) still on their list so they were well placed for another crack at it and were absolutely right to do so.
    Clarkson had nowhere near that yet still went all in, so I do wonder whether it is possible to truly know where your list is at 'from the inside'?

Wasn't aware Ablett Snr was still on the list.

20. Likes bornadog liked this post