Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  19
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL considering a State of Origin revival to support victims of Australia’s bushfire crisis

AFL considering a State of Origin revival to support victims of Australia’s bushfire crisis

More than 20 years after the last State of Origin match was played, the AFL is considering reviving the concept to support victims of Australia’s bushfire crisis. And the game’s biggest names are queuing up to play.

State of Origin could be revived in aid of the devastating bushfire crisis that has engulfed the country.

The Herald Sun last night revealed that the AFL is considering staging a game of representative football among current AFL stars among a raft of initiatives on the table to support bushfire-ravaged communities in Victoria and beyond.

The league – which has spent recent days formulating its support for those affected by the extensive fires in East Gippsland, the Alpine region of Victoria, New South Wales and South Australia – has debated a range of fundraising initiatives.

A State of Origin match – the likes of which has not been played for almost 21 years – between two teams comprised of current AFL players has emerged as a frontrunner and could be held as soon as next month.

The potential move has been met with early support from some of the game’s biggest names, with AFL Players’ Association president and Geelong champ Patrick Dangerfield quick to back the fundraiser.

“Let’s make it happen!” Dangerfield wrote on Twitter after the Herald Sun last night revealed the possible Origin revival.

Collingwood skipper Scott Pendlebury said “bring it back”, while star ruckmen Max Gawn and Nic Naitanui – who could potentially line-up against one another – were also quick to put their hand up for any Origin game.

The AFL confirmed on Tuesday that discussions were continuing for short-term fundraising initiatives, along with long-term support to help communities and regional clubs impacted by the fires.

It is understood Marvel Stadium is being considered as a venue for the representative clash with a potential match date of February 28.

On Wednesday morning the League said it was considering an ‘All-Stars’ match, perhaps similar to the one staged in 2008.

2. Thanks GVGjr, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL considering a State of Origin revival to support victims of Australia’s bushfire crisis

Mooted: Victoria vs All Stars (from all other states). Second week of preseason comp. No more than 4 players per club selected, and the players who play in this game and sit out a club preseason game.

I hope it happens. From the fundraising but also putting in a rep game each preseason.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL considering a State of Origin revival to support victims of Australia’s bushfire crisis

If the players are getting behind it, it’ll happen. I like the idea, just praying for no injuries.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If the players are getting behind it, it’ll happen. I like the idea, just praying for no injuries.
    My guess is it will be a little 'bruise free footy' almost as if they'd just played a first or second preseason game. I wonder if it helps our guys progression through their preseasons?

If we have a maximum 4 players. I wonder who they could be? Naughton can't be risked. So maybe Bonts, Macrae, Hunter & Dunkley? Maybe English to join Nic Nat rucking for the All Stars? (If Grundy didn't play)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

6. Thanks choconmientay thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You would think it would be an NBA All Star type game - not taken too seriously, nothing rough, nice skills on display, little defence and high scoring. Just a bit of light entertainment and a nice little fundraiser for the bushfires.

Of course there is always the risk of injury, players even seem to manage to hurt themselves doing innocuous activities far removed from the footy field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If we have a maximum 4 players. I wonder who they could be? Naughton can't be risked. So maybe Bonts, Macrae, Hunter & Dunkley? Maybe English to join Nic Nat rucking for the All Stars? (If Grundy didn't play)
    Not sure anyone would ask for three starting mids from one team + wing.

I suspect JJ gets a run for the all stars, Bont and Hunter for Vic.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

AFL.com.au Teams

Victoria

B: Tom Stewart (Geelong), Daniel Talia (Adelaide), Adam Saad (Essendon)
    HB: James Sicily (Hawthorn), Michael Hurley (Essendon), Sam Docherty (Carlton)
    C: Jack Macrae (WB), Dustin Martin (Richmond), Zach Merrett (Essendon)
    HF: Shaun Higgins (North Melbourne), Tom Lynch (Richmond), Robbie Gray (Port Adelaide)
    F: Toby Greene (GWS), Jeremy Cameron (GWS), Jordan De Goey (Collingwood)
    R: Max Gawn (Melbourne), Patrick Dangerfield (Geelong), Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
    Int: Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood), Clayton Oliver (Melbourne), Ben Cunnington (North Melbourne), Sam Walsh (Carlton), Gary Ablett (Geelong), Rowan Marshall (St Kilda)

All Stars (NSW, Queensland, Tasmania, NT, South Australia and Western Australia)

B: Rory Laird (Adelaide), Steven May (Melbourne), Dane Rampe (Sydney)
    HB: Brodie Smith (Adelaide), Harris Andrews (Brisbane), Shannon Hurn (West Coast)
    C: Bradley Hill (St Kilda), Patrick Cripps (Carlton), Tim Kelly (West Coast)
    HF: Charlie Cameron (Brisbane), Jack Riewoldt (Richmond), Isaac Heeney (Sydney)
    F: Michael Walters (Fremantle), Ben Brown (North Melbourne), Aaron Naughton (Western Bulldogs)
    R: Brodie Grundy (Collingwood), Nat Fyfe (Fremantle), Lachie Neale (Brisbane)
    Int: Tom Mitchell (Hawthorn), Stephen Coniglio (GWS), Elliot Yeo (West Coast), Alex Sexton (Gold Coast), Connor Rozee (Port Adelaide), Jarrod Witts (Gold Coast)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Thanks Mofra, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had no idea Rampe was from NSW, only knew him as a Willy player.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

How the AFL side can pick Gary Ablett is beyond me. Is this a team by reputation or best players?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Herald Suns effort:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Herald Suns effort:

They can't even put in the reigning Premiership coach.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They can't even put in the Premiership coach.
    Which one? Of current coaches Clarkson has won 4 v Hardwick 2 and Bevo/Scott/Simpson 1 each from Victoria.

For the Allies I think it's just Longmire v Worsfold with 1 each.

Don't think the coaches are going to matter much anyway, it's just a ceremonial role.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Which one? Of current coaches Clarkson has won 4 v Hardwick 2 and Bevo/Scott/Simpson 1 each from Victoria.

For the Allies I think it's just Longmire v Worsfold with 1 each.

Don't think the coaches are going to matter much anyway, it's just a ceremonial role.
    ok Fixed - should be reigning

To tell you the truth, I don't want any Bulldogs players playing. Great cause to raise money, otherwise means nothing.

I have never been a fan of SOO

Post Thanks / Like

How the AFL side can pick Gary Ablett is beyond me. Is this a team by reputation or best players?
    All stars so it would definitley include Gary.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

They can't even put in the reigning Premiership coach.
    I would say the players would get a say in if they want to play in it and the smallest niggle would keep them out, so don’t be surprised if a few all stars aren’t playing.
    Basically picked by players who put their hand up.
    I dread the thought of a player getting a major injury.
    Bring back the biff