Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  19
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL considering a State of Origin revival to support victims of Australia’s bushfire crisis

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Still a Victorian.
    How does SOO work? I thought it was based on where you are born
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL considering a State of Origin revival to support victims of Australia’s bushfire crisis

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Makey upey. Dunstall played for Victoria & The Allies. Carey played for NSW & SA.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Makey upey. Dunstall played for Victoria & The Allies. Carey played for NSW & SA.
    I really hate the Admin of the AFL
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It used to be where you were registered to play at the age of 16. Then they started to chip away at the eligibility criteria.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    It used to be where you were registered to play at the age of 16. Then they started to chip away at the eligibility criteria.
    Yeah I thought it was something along the lines of where you played the majority of your junior footy (apart from when they operated under partial rules that allowed the likes of Dunstall and Carey to play for other states).

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I thought it was something along the lines of where you played the majority of your junior footy (apart from when they operated under partial rules that allowed the likes of Dunstall and Carey to play for other states).
    They started to chip away at the criteria because they were obsessed with seeing how a forward line with Lockett and Dunstall would operate. Then it was Carey...

Post Thanks / Like

The Whitten medal will be revived and take its place alongside the Brownlow, Norm Smith, Coleman etc.

8. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    The Whitten medal will be revived and take its place alongside the Brownlow, Norm Smith, Coleman etc.
    I guess Boomer Harvey will have to change his business cards, now no longer being the last man to be awarded the EJ Whitten Medal.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I guess Boomer Harvey will have to change his business cards, now no longer being the last man to be awarded the EJ Whitten Medal.
    Haha. Hopefully Macrae wins it this time.

Post Thanks / Like

Mate v mate: How the Vic v All Stars teams will be picked

CLUBS will hold the selection power for next month's State of Origin bushfire relief match after each receiving a shortlist of names from the AFL on Wednesday.

Eight players – four for Victoria and four the All Stars – were put forward by the AFL that clubs will be required to confirm as fit to play for the Victoria v All Stars match at Marvel Stadium on Friday, February 28.

Victorian coach Damien Hardwick and All Stars counterpart John Longmire will then select their squads of 27 on Tuesday, February 18. A maximum of three players per AFL club will be eligible to feature across the two playing lists.

The final teams will be announced on AFL.com.au on Wednesday, February 26.

Each team will have a starting 18, six interchange players and three emergencies.

A player's best and fairest finish and the 2019 Virgin Australia AFL All-Australian squad were heavily favoured in the process of selecting eight names from each club on Wednesday.

Players including Geelong superstar Patrick Dangerfield, Melbourne's three-time All-Australian ruckman Max Gawn, Collingwood's five-time club champion Scott Pendlebury, GWS Coleman medallist Jeremy Cameron and West Coast's talismanic big man Nic Naitanui have all put their hands up to play.

Currently injured players – including Sydney superstar Lance Franklin and Gold Coast co-captain Jarrod Witts – were not considered in the eight names in liaison with clubs.

International-born players will also be eligible for selection for the All Stars.

The match will start at 7.50pm AEDT with an NAB AFL Women's match for premiership points between Collingwood and Melbourne to be played as a curtain raiser at 5.40pm.

All funds raised from the match will support the Community Relief Fund that has been set up by the AFL to help rebuild local football facilities torn apart by the national bushfire crisis.

The AFL, clubs and AFLPA have donated $1.5 million to the fund, with a further $1 million going to immediate relief.

Both teams will train at Marvel Stadium on Thursday, February 27.

Details on ticket sales for the match are expected to be announced in coming days.

The match will be broadcast on Channel Seven, Fox Footy, the AFL Live Official App, Kayo and various radio partners.

12. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My guess at the 8 players put forward by the AFL:

Victoria
    Bont
    Macrae
    Dunkley
    Hunter
    (Wood or Crozier a chance if they need defenders)

All Stars
    JJ
    Daniel
    Suckling
    Bruce
    (Assuming Naughton not nominated due to injury, English a chance if they need rucks)

Post Thanks / Like

English a chance if they need rucks
    What rucks are available for the All Stars?

Post Thanks / Like

What rucks are available for the All Stars?
    Grundy and Nic Nat the obvious ones. After that Lycett, Ryder, Jacobs off the top of my head. Witts just got injured so he's out. Of course it depends who picks up "niggles" between now and then.

Post Thanks / Like

Grundy and Nic Nat the obvious ones. After that Lycett, Ryder, Jacobs off the top of my head. Witts just got injured so he's out. Of course it depends who picks up "niggles" between now and then.
    I'd love my players playing in a game like this. The uptempo nature of the game would top the preseason preparation off nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd love my players playing in a game like this. The uptempo nature of the game would top the preseason preparation off nicely.
    Seriously? This will be nothing like an intense contest, players will be wanting to honour the cause but will be doing everything to ensure they avoid injury. Will be little body contact and similar to a slightly more athletic E J Whitten exhibiton game. No injuries please.

18. Likes bornadog liked this post