Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL considering a State of Origin revival to support victims of Australia’s bushfire crisis

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Basically picked by players who put their hand up.
    I dread the thought of a player getting a major injury.
    Players PLAY.

Injury, smin-jury. PLAY.

This *SHOULD* be the highest level of footy (and most eye candy footy) we ever get to watch. I 100% get that we can't (and shouldn't) do it in season but playing during the 2nd round of pre-season is surely a compromise that even the staunchest critics of the concept can get behind. As for coaches who worry this is impacting on 'their' season? Well, name me a side that finished the season last year with the same 'systems and structures' with which they exited the pre-season game looking ahead to the season 'with confidence'...NONE. Hell, Richmond played a 1st gamer on grand final day and he seemed F-I-N-E...so much for 'needing' that extra pre-season game in the 'system' to get ready. Give me a break.

Stephenson missed 9 weeks after visiting a TAB last year (and the visit might have been via his mobile phone for all I know!), I have no doubt some of them have missed with strained thumbs due to excessive playing of NBA2K and some of the other off-field misadventures we have seen/heard over the years...a state of origin game is not the worst thing that can happen or biggest threat to player welfare.

Players PLAY. Yes, someone will (no doubt) get injured. But they equally could have been injured in the pre-season game or training session they are MISSING...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes Mofra, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFL considering a State of Origin revival to support victims of Australia’s bushfire crisis

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Players PLAY. Yes, someone will (no doubt) get injured. But they equally could have been injured in the pre-season game or training session they are MISSING...
    Yeah, that's the key point.

There are games already scheduled for this time anyway so there's always risk of injury. May as well slot the SoO game in, raise a bunch of money and we get to see the best of the best on the same field which is pretty cool.

Just play the other pre-season games that week as normal with the players selected in the exhibition match being rested.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Yeah, that's the key point.

There are games already scheduled for this time anyway so there's always risk of injury. May as well slot the SoO game in, raise a bunch of money and we get to see the best of the best on the same field which is pretty cool.
    Bingo. It's not 'extra' football that has the sports scientists so concerned about loading, it's a replacement for one meaningless JLT game.

I suspect any SOO has the same extended bench too as that means bigger teams = more stars = more interest from fans who get top see 'their' players don the big V or Allied jumper equivalent.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently confirmed for Friday 28th February at Marvel Stadium.

Fits in well with our pre-season games scheduled for 21st February and 7th March.

Teams will be coached by Damien Hardwick (Victoria) and John Longmire (All Stars). Looks like you got your wish BAD!
    Last edited by Axe Man; 09-01-2020 at 12:50 PM.

7. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL confirms State of Origin match, makes massive donation

THE AFL has announced a landmark State of Origin match to raise funds for the Australian bushfire disaster in addition to a monster donation to support relief efforts.

Victoria will play an All Stars line-up on Friday February 28, with money raised to boost a Community Relief Fund set-up by the AFL to help rebuild football facilities ripped apart by the national crisis.

Richmond premiership coach Damien Hardwick will lead the Victorians and Sydney counterpart John Longmire will coach the All Stars in the match to be staged at Marvel Stadium.

The AFL ($1.35m) – in association with the clubs ($900,000) and AFL Players Association ($250,000) – have committed a $2.5million donation.

A total of $1m will provide immediate emergency assistance through the Australian Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery fund. An additional $1.5m will kickstart the Community Relief Fund for grassroots facilities.

The match – to be played during the second weekend of the pre-season March Community Series – will see players selected in a process still to be determined.

There will be a maximum of three players per AFL club eligible to take part in the match to ensure minimal disruption to club's pre-season plans just 20 days before round one.

Essendon's trip to face West Coast at Lathlain Park in the Marsh Series – also fixtured for February 28 – has been move to the day before.

The AFLW match between Collingwood and Melbourne scheduled for Friday February 28 at Victoria Park will now be played at Marvel Stadium to create a double header.

It is the first game of its kind since the 2008 Hall of Fame Tribute Match that saw Victoria beat the Dream Team by 17 points in front of a 69,294 fans at the MCG.

The match will be broadcast on Channel Seven, Fox Footy, the AFL Live Official App, Kayo and various radio partners.

League chief executive Gillon McLachlan said he was blown away by the reaction to the cause.

"Our industry is heartbroken by the devastation that the fires are causing around the country and our clubs and players have suggested a number of initiatives where we can support affected communities in the short and longer term as they deal with the aftermath of these fires, he said.

"A game of footy can't change what has happened but it is a way for all of our clubs, our players and our fans to acknowledge the incredible sacrifice that so many have made in battling the fires and to support those communities that have been impacted by the bushfires."

"We know that those communities are suffering now but they are also going to need our support as they start to rebuild. Sport builds bonds within communities and we want people to know they have the support of the entire football industry and that we will be there to help them rebuild facilities and programs and ensure people continue to come together.

"The State of Origin game will help raise further funds to support that ongoing rebuild.

"I want to thank our players and clubs for their commitment to doing something substantial that raises money and clearly demonstrates the support to the local football communities of those areas impacted.

"Our clubs and our AFL and AFLW players are also working on a number of other initiatives to raise money and to support those communities in need and we will continue to work with them over the coming weeks and months to continue to coordinate our efforts.

"On behalf of the AFL community, I also want to thank firefighters, members of the have given up their time – and in some cases their lives – to protect others. We are grateful for what you have done for our community."

Geelong superstar and AFLPA president Patrick Dangerfield said the players were all behind the cause.

"It was an immediate 'yes' when the State of Origin concept was put to players by the AFLPA. We, like everyone, are heartbroken and desperate to help," he said.

"We're committed to putting on a great event for fans and hopefully raise a significant amount of money.

"In addition to committing to this match, we're proud to be able to make a $250,000 donation on behalf of all male and female players, which will be split amongst various charities to support those affected."

AFLW clubs will also support the fundraising efforts by housing donation collecting points at matches in the upcoming season starting February 7.

9. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bonts, Macrae & English/JJ ??

(Naughton still being managed)
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Bonts, Macrae & English/JJ ??

(Naughton still being managed)
    I think there would be a fair few ruckmen ahead of English. Caleb could be a chance for the All Stars.

It's not going to be all the absolute best players in the land. Obviously there will be those that are unavailable, after that it's a selection of 2 or 3 players from every club.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to see ideally every club chips in 3 players. For 54 players, 2 X 27 player teams. So 9 player interchanges.

Three rucks a side (roughly 10 min a quarter of actual rucking). So starting on the bench 2 rucks, another KPP & 6 mids/flankers. Unlimited interchanging. 20 mins plus time on quarters. Clubs to have some input about total minutes to be played by their players.

I don't mind the 9 point goal from outside the 50 if the NAB put up $10,000 a super goal or something like that. Gentle umpiring.

It should hopefully keep the risk of any injuries low.

All club cheer squads offered seats adjoining each other (at ticket prices) for comradarie. I liked that about attending SoO games.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I think there would be a fair few ruckmen ahead of English.
    Brodie Grundy and NicNat for a start.

I'd imagine Vics will go with Gawn, and Goldstein if they want a second ruck.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post

Luke Darcy did his knee at the last session before Christmas. It was a stinking hot day, I remember Jim saying "why didn't Rocket just call the session off and head to the pub.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

15. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our best players should be pleading their case to play in this and I hope our clubs makes them available if they are fit enough
    It's an awesome opportunity for the players
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

17. Likes Rocco Jones liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Spot the error...

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Dunkley is NOT a forward...and he’s also a Victorian
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Josh Dunkley is NOT a forward...and he’s also a Victorian
    Born in Sydney
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Born in Sydney
    Still a Victorian.