Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
What I can't understand is why we didn't strike back. If Marcus was my teammate and I saw his opponent do that then (like Elton John) I'd be a little bit happy because that means all the rules are off and I can go whack!
This was my frustration though 2D.

The rules - such as they are - are determined by the umpires on a given day. Sometimes a mark is paid following a 10m kick. Other games it is a 20m kick. Sometimes you can hold the ball in under tackle pressure and it will be a ball up. Othertimes it will be holding the ball. Players are smart and generally within 10-15min of the first bounce they have figured it out.

Our players didn't figure anything out on EF day. As someone who made the trip - and it was a bloody long trip from Perth featuring a midnight flight and all sorts of shenanigans in order to get there - the lack of effort and (to quote GVGjr) "VIGOUR" was pretty unbelievable. The worst thing about it was the GWS 'reaction' to what happened in the previous meeting was 100% predictable and - whilst the crossed the line at points during the game, ultimately the umpires tell the players where the line is (they blow the whistle when it is crossed!!) and the Giants players figured this out and ours didn't.

To BAD's point, I know he isn't whingeing about it (and nor are others on here) but whenever you complain about the umpires or the actions of the other team after a loss, it just SOUNDS LIKE sooking. If you win, you can draw attention to umpiring issues, opposition player 'actions' and the perception is that it is just about 'the facts'. After a loss though it just sounds like you are moaning and complaining about getting beaten in a 'fair fight' and the 'messaging' from the club (and us as supporters) after the game came across as very 'sooky' to me at least.

I'm not inside the group but I am confident that within the team the feeling will be no matter what happens in the future, we never get beaten like that again.