Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting Lippi with it

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    West is still young and Weightman hasn't debuted. Lippi has the body of work behind him and is in most best 22s.
    We seems to have a few second stringers who would be getting games elsewhere but are not locks for us - Libba, Wallis, Williams
    So age comes into it ?
    West will come on more this year as will Smith, he deserves to get a mention, Weightman hasn’t debuted yet but he should also still be in the conversation as they both will also be in the spotlight on Lippas position.
    We have a huge list that can all play the same game and are all good enough, it’s going to be hard to pick teams this year..
    Wallis and Libba are locks when they are getting games consistently and not getting injured, Wallis just got put in the leadership group I would not put them as second Stringer players.
    Don’t get me wrong I love Lippa but apart from players already getting games we also have other ones coming up that will also compete for his position.
    West seems to have a more bulky body than Lippa,but who knows after a pre season. Weightman also looks a lot like Smith to me, it’s going to be a great year seeing who steps up and who drops off.
    One things for sure when Lloyd and Dickson go we will have ready to go replacements.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Ledge the thread is mainly about Lipinski and if you want to focus on Westy it would be great if your started a thread about him. He's a gun.
    So everyone can mention other players that he has to compete with but if I mention one who has been forgotten I have to make another thread ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    1. Agree with comments on West. Haven't seen enough of Weightman.
    2. Lipinski has been great as a mid. I'm not sure why 'everyone' keeps pushing him out of the role he has proven to be effective at playing into a forward role that he isn't necessarily suited.

As to GVGjr's point, I think Lipinski's treatment/back end form in 2019 will resonate (haunt??) with the MC and he WILL start in the team. After that, it's going to be pretty much up to him. I think the other 3 you mentioned (McLean, Wallis and Liberatore) are in for some challenging times. Richards? Well, he has that outside game going which is 'something different' and that could well be his saving grace at the selection table. But the 22 is still going to look something like:

2-3x tall forwards (including ruck backup)
    3x small forwards
    1x ruck
    4x inside mids
    3x outside mids
    2x tall defenders
    5x medium defenders

That's obviously either 1 or 2 short (depending on whether we play 2 or 3 tall forwards) and that spot/those spots are going to go to players who have one of:

1/. Unique skill that is seen as critical vs that opponent (eg. 2nd ruck, tagger, small defender - lock down etc).
    2/. Flexible/capable - mentally and footy wise - of being a floater and playing multiple roles in a single game.
    I'm not as confident that the MC will view Lipinski in that way but maybe they will. I suspect though that he's going to have to prove himself all over again which is a great problem for the team and it will keep them all hungry.

In a strange way I think that adding Bruce really changes things for our midfield this season. We could often push a couple of the midfielders forward but we now may not have as many options. More likely now they will only push one forward and use the IC bench more for the rotations.

I think we have 6 mids locked in and there will be competition between Wallis, Lipinski, Richards and Libertore for the one or two remaining spots. Given that Wallis is part of the leadership group is that an incentive for the MC to select him ahead of others?
    It might come down to the merits of Lipinski versus Richards which is quite a contrast of styles. Lipinski performed better in 2019 in his 14 games than Richards did in his 20 but Ed has that more natural dash and that might be the point of difference the MC needs.

The MC will earn the money this year if we have a somewhat full list to choose from
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    In a strange way I think that adding Bruce really changes things for our midfield this season. We could often push a couple of the midfielders forward but we now may not have as many options. More likely now they will only push one forward and use the IC bench more for the rotations.

I think we have 6 mids locked in and there will be competition between Wallis, Lipinski, Richards and Libertore for the one or two remaining spots. Given that Wallis is part of the leadership group is that an incentive for the MC to select him ahead of others?
    It might come down to the merits of Lipinski versus Richards which is quite a contrast of styles. Lipinski performed better in 2019 in his 14 games than Richards did in his 20 but Ed has that more natural dash and that might be the point of difference the MC needs.
    It's interesting, but I feel our forwards started to be far more effective when we starting playing more permanent forwards.
    Lloyd was a revelation and Dale finished the year off strongly. For a while (especially in 2018) we were playing 3 mids as part of a forward rotation but with Naughton, Bruce, Dale and Lloyd that's 4 forwards - with Schache and Dickson pushing for selection we might have 6 genuine forwards with 1-2 resting mids depending on bench and ruck rotations.

We often play 7 defenders (one bench rotation) which leaves two bench spots of mids, making selection really tight. Lipinski would fit in as either first bench player picked or opposite wing to Hunter on that basis as our starting three mids are set.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Long been a fan of Lipinski.

On paper he's unappealing when stacked against others - he isn't quick and he isn't flashy, but in practice he's one of our most promising young players.

We're talking about a kid who has a high footy IQ, who finds the ball on the outside but can now win it on the inside. He's a great size, he's fit and strong and he can pinch hit forward.

There aren't too many who are more versatile than him.

He's streets ahead of Libba, Wallis, McLean, West etc. I wouldn't even dare to leave him out of the 22. He's a great foil for the likes of Macrae and Dunkley.

6. Likes Go_Dogs, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Long been a fan of Lipinski.

On paper he's unappealing when stacked against others - he isn't quick and he isn't flashy, but in practice he's one of our most promising young players.

We're talking about a kid who has a high footy IQ, who finds the ball on the outside but can now win it on the inside. He's a great size, he's fit and strong and he can pinch hit forward.

There aren't too many who are more versatile than him.

He's streets ahead of Libba, Wallis, McLean, West etc. I wouldn't even dare to leave him out of the 22. He's a great foil for the likes of Macrae and Dunkley.

I’m with you. I think he is right up there as well. Some of the things he has done is Bont like. I rate this kids skills. Looking forward to see how he progresses this year. We will be talking about the big four by the end of the year. This is the most excited I have been in years.
    Last edited by GVGjr; 21-01-2020 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Fixed quote error

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    I’m with you. I think he is right up there as well. Some of the things he has done is Bont like. I rate this kids skills. Looking forward to see how he progresses this year. We will be talking about the big four by the end of the year. This is the most excited I have been in years.
    TBH if we're talking "the big four" I would expect Bailey Smith to be the fourth - the kid could be anything.

As a pure mid I still rate a fit Libba as a starting mid at most clubs, as he can win the hard ball and use it beautifully given time and space on the left. Libba is nowhere near as versatile at a Bont, Smith, Lippi though.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    As a pure mid I still rate a fit Libba as a starting mid at most clubs, as he can win the hard ball and use it beautifully given time and space on the left. Libba is nowhere near as versatile at a Bont, Smith, Lippi though.
    Agree on principle that as a pure mid and at his best/fittest, Libba is on another level but the last time we saw him play this well at AFL level it was 2016 - a damn long time ago now.

Libba will need to get back to his best (or close to it) if he's to become a starter again. His lack of versatility puts him behind the likes of Wallis and McLean too IMO.

Note: I still love Libba and want him in our best side all things being equal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Agree on principle that as a pure mid and at his best/fittest, Libba is on another level but the last time we saw him play this well at AFL level it was 2016 - a damn long time ago now.

Libba will need to get back to his best (or close to it) if he's to become a starter again. His lack of versatility puts him behind the likes of Wallis and McLean too IMO.

Note: I still love Libba and want him in our best side all things being equal.
    Agree completely - at his absolute best he’s in our best 22 hands down. Whether he can get back to his absolute best is another thing entirely.

Fingers crossed of course - it’s hard not to love him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by S Coast Simon View Post
    He's apparently had another good summer with his training which is a positive indicator for the season ahead

It's not hard to share your excitement
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"