Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting Lippi with it

I know our midfield focus tends to be our "big three" plus Hunter on a wing, but it's really the next level down where the situation gets interesting.

Bailey Smith is a lock, but the most interesting player here is Patrick Lipinski. Despite the likes of McLean, Wallis, and Liberatore pushing for spots Lippi is universally considered best 22. He is obviously a smart player who is a threat forward of the ball, has the tank to cover enough ground to take wing rotations, and developed his inside game last year so he goes into the centre as well. We know he's not the quickest runner around but he's demanded his spot based on performance.

How do we see his 2020 (and beyond) shaping up? If it's a decision between he and either a McLean or a Libba for a spt, is he still ahead of both?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Thanks Eastdog, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting Lippi with it

Terry Wallace named 14 young midfielders he believes will make big improvements in 2020, it included Lipinski (and Bailey Smith). Link

If he continues on the trajectory he plotted in the second half of last season he's going to be a very important player for us.

4. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Terry Wallace named 14 young midfielders he believes will make big improvements in 2020, it included Lipinski (and Bailey Smith). Link

If he continues on the trajectory he plotted in the second half of last season he's going to be a very important player for us.
    Bailey will get even better. An unbelievable first season for him. Pat Lipinkski was really good as well with plenty of more improvement - complements our forward half very well.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I think a fully fit Liberatore is ahead of Lippa, but is Libba fully fit - probably not with that knee.

Patrick really improved last year after setting up a programme with the coach to become an inside mid, then practising in the VFL till he got it right and then earned his spot for a senior recall.

When he got his chance, he showed he can play the role.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post

But rich to be putting Caldwell and Smith in the same category. One played 2 the other 23 games for the year - doesn’t seem like a level playing field in precedence

Post Thanks / Like

Re. Lipinski - would love to see him develop into a 70/30 forward flanker/inside mid. From memory he is a lovely kick of the ball and good at finding it

Post Thanks / Like

What about West ??
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    What about West ??
    Good spot to be in when we are overlooking players like Rhylee.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Suspect he will end up a very valuable player for us. Always room for players that can win the footy, run the lines and kick it well. Can he get active enough on the scoreboard? That's the challenge for a lot of fringe midfielders I think, they can separate themselves from their peers by racking up goals. I think he has a good nose for goal.

Post Thanks / Like

This is in no way intended as a slight, but Lipinski's our poor man's Macrae.

Clever, tireless and smart enough to utilise his ample assets over his deficiencies. That's the mark of a driven, self aware player.

We need more of his cleverness and composure around the contest. Kick on Lippy. If we've got second stringers of his ilk to defer to, we'll go alright.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I know our midfield focus tends to be our "big three" plus Hunter on a wing, but it's really the next level down where the situation gets interesting.

Bailey Smith is a lock, but the most interesting player here is Patrick Lipinski. Despite the likes of McLean, Wallis, and Liberatore pushing for spots Lippi is universally considered best 22. He is obviously a smart player who is a threat forward of the ball, has the tank to cover enough ground to take wing rotations, and developed his inside game last year so he goes into the centre as well. We know he's not the quickest runner around but he's demanded his spot based on performance.

How do we see his 2020 (and beyond) shaping up? If it's a decision between he and either a McLean or a Libba for a spt, is he still ahead of both?
    This time last year Lipinski had a brilliant pre-season and had added muscle and was playing good footy. After one disappointing game in the JLT he was pushed right down the order and had to work hard to earn his spot back. Once he did that though he had an impressive season. 14 games, 11 goals and an average of 3.5 tackles highlights he made a significant contribution at the senior level.

As you have pointed out with the returning Wallis and Liberatore he again has his work cut out to hold his spot and I could see him having to earn his chances again this year. I honestly don't know how the selectors accommodate all the midfield options this year

Bontempelli, Macrae, Dunkley, Hunter and Smith are the locks and I'd probably have McLean, Wallis, Lipinski and Liberatore next in line in that order. A couple of things might work against our deep midfield and especially Lipinski
    1 - If we play 3 tall forwards which seems to be in our current plan then that reduces a spot for one of the midfielders that we had last season to start as a forward.
    2 - The small forward brigade of Lloyd, Dale and Dickson will command at least 2 spots up forward

This means the likes of Lipinski (and Richards) will need to work overtime to try and lock down a spot on the other wing to Hunter or the more likely scenario of having to come off an overcrowded interchange bench

I have Lipinski in our best 25 but I don't know if he will be a regular best 22 player in 2020

This pre-season is so important to many players
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    This time last year Lipinski had a brilliant pre-season and had added muscle and was playing good footy. After one disappointing game in the JLT he was pushed right down the order and had to work hard to earn his spot back. Once he did that though he had an impressive season. 14 games, 11 goals and an average of 3.5 tackles highlights he made a significant contribution at the senior level.

As you have pointed out with the returning Wallis and Liberatore he again has his work cut out to hold his spot and I could see him having to earn his chances again this year. I honestly don't know how the selectors accommodate all the midfield options this year

Bontempelli, Macrae, Dunkley, Hunter and Smith are the locks and I'd probably have McLean, Wallis, Lipinski and Liberatore next in line in that order. A couple of things might work against our deep midfield and especially Lipinski
    1 - If we play 3 tall forwards which seems to be in our current plan then that reduces a spot for one of the midfielders that we had last season to start as a forward.
    2 - The small forward brigade of Lloyd, Dale and Dickson will command at least 2 spots up forward

This means the likes of Lipinski (and Richards) will need to work overtime to try and lock down a spot on the other wing to Hunter or the more likely scenario of having to come off an overcrowded interchange bench

I have Lipinski in our best 25 but I don't know if he will be a regular best 22 player in 2020

This pre-season is so important to many players
    I can’t believe West isn’t getting a mention or even the new kid Weightman, our depth in goal kicking mids is huge, Lippi is interesting I think he is the one who will take over after Dickson (and remember Lloyd) isn’t young, when these two retire Lippi will walk straight in to replace one and that’s what he is being prepared for.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I can’t believe West isn’t getting a mention or even the new kid Weightman, our depth in goal kicking mids is huge, Lippi is interesting I think he is the one who will take over after Dickson (and remember Lloyd) isn’t young, when these two retire Lippi will walk straight in to replace one and that’s what he is being prepared for.
    West is still young and Weightman hasn't debuted. Lippi has the body of work behind him and is in most best 22s.
    We seems to have a few second stringers who would be getting games elsewhere but are not locks for us - Libba, Wallis, Williams
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

1. Agree with comments on West. Haven't seen enough of Weightman.
    2. Lipinski has been great as a mid. I'm not sure why 'everyone' keeps pushing him out of the role he has proven to be effective at playing into a forward role that he isn't necessarily suited.

As to GVGjr's point, I think Lipinski's treatment/back end form in 2019 will resonate (haunt??) with the MC and he WILL start in the team. After that, it's going to be pretty much up to him. I think the other 3 you mentioned (McLean, Wallis and Liberatore) are in for some challenging times. Richards? Well, he has that outside game going which is 'something different' and that could well be his saving grace at the selection table. But the 22 is still going to look something like:

2-3x tall forwards (including ruck backup)
    3x small forwards
    1x ruck
    4x inside mids
    3x outside mids
    2x tall defenders
    5x medium defenders

That's obviously either 1 or 2 short (depending on whether we play 2 or 3 tall forwards) and that spot/those spots are going to go to players who have one of:

1/. Unique skill that is seen as critical vs that opponent (eg. 2nd ruck, tagger, small defender - lock down etc).
    2/. Flexible/capable - mentally and footy wise - of being a floater and playing multiple roles in a single game.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

18. Likes GVGjr, Dry Rot, Smads57 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ledge the thread is mainly about Lipinski and if you want to focus on Westy it would be great if your started a thread about him. He's a gun.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"