https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...ngs-like-that-

Bruce: "I've never seen a ruckman do things like that"

Recruit Josh Bruce admits young ruckman Tim English has impressed him this pre-season.

If there’s one player who has surprised recruit Josh Bruce since he joined the Western Bulldogs, it’s Tim English.

The emerging ruckman enjoyed a breakout season in 2019 and Bruce believes he can take his game to another level this year, based on what he’s seen on the training track.

“I’m not really sure why (he surprised me) – he was just one of those players who flew under the radar for me,” Bruce told SEN1116 on Friday morning.

“I didn’t really comprehend his ability and how good he was.

“To realise he’s only 22 years old and to see the things that he’s doing as a big man, I’ve never seen a ruckman do things like that.

“I don’t want to put the mozz on him, but I think he’s primed to have a pretty a good season… He’s still very young and has a long way to go but his attitude is sensational.”

Bruce said he had noticed a different approach in his first pre-season with the Bulldogs.

The key forward was an early arrival to pre-season training, joining in with the first-to-fourth year players after being secured in a trade from St Kilda, and hasn’t missed a beat since heading west-side.

“There’s a lot more footy, that I’ve noticed. There’s a lot more skills and a lot more hands-on stuff than what I’ve previously been used to,” Bruce said.

“It took the quads a while to get used to that, I was pretty sore for a couple of weeks back in November.

“Since then it’s been really good. I’ve settled in well to the training program and haven’t missed a session so far, touch wood.”