Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Tall Dogs in 2020 - a change in tactics?

The addition of Keath and Bruce, and apparent continued development of English, means that in season 2020 we will have the tallest Dogs team I can remember.

A far cry from a couple of seasons ago when Gowers was our key forward. And Bont had to often go forward.

So do Keath and especially Bruce mean that we will play a little differently in 2020? If so, how?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tall Dogs in 2020 - a change in tactics?

I'm just relieved we won't have to watch Daniel climb an opponent's leg like a possum up a tree to effect a spoil ever again.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

3. Likes bornadog, Danjul, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll possibly go a little more direct and take on the interceptor a bit more to avoid opposition defences rolling back and blocking space.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I'm just relieved we won't have to watch Daniel climb an opponent's leg like a possum up a tree to effect a spoil ever again.
    Prepare to be disappointed. There's going to be times when we're caught out and Caleb will be the man with the tank to get back, resulting in the odd miss-match.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    That was more due to his running capacity than a mismatch I thought. He covers a lot of ground. I'm not sure how we use him this season.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes mjp, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Prepare to be disappointed. There's going to be times when we're caught out and Caleb will be the man with the tank to get back, resulting in the odd miss-match.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    That was more due to his running capacity than a mismatch I thought. He covers a lot of ground. I'm not sure how we use him this season.
    He is also very good at reading the play
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If there are passages of play where the ball is moved slowly and the opposition defence do get back - we're going to need multiple players who can get front and square of the contest.

We know both Naughts and Bruce are excellent contested marks, and they have to split the defenders so there will be two areas of the F50 to kick to a contest (led by one of those guys each).
    That should mean against teams that like to play 'fast' we can work on slowing the game down to play to our advantage.

The team that likes to play 'fast' more than any other - Richmond. We may be the only team that stops them as I can't see Collingwood or GWS doing it who are two of the other genuine challengers.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Good thread. I’d like to see a few players better at crumbing at the fall of the ball in the F50 than last year.

Still think our defence will be more intercept than lock down - I’m questing who our real backline general will be. See Easton wood potentially playing that role as he steps away from leadership duties off the field - just not sure he has the footy brain for it. Boyd Snr was outstanding in that role in 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    The addition of Keath and Bruce, and apparent continued development of English, means that in season 2020 we will have the tallest Dogs team I can remember.

A far cry from a couple of seasons ago when Gowers was our key forward. And Bont had to often go forward.

So do Keath and especially Bruce mean that we will play a little differently in 2020? If so, how?
    Back in the '70s we had Quinlan, Dempsey, Round, Sandilands, Templeton, McGhie, Baker and a few more talls that could seriously play (unfortunately most of them proved how well they could play at other clubs) on the list at the same time.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Back in the '70s we had Quinlan, Dempsey, Round, Sandilands, Templeton, McGhie, Baker and a few more talls that could seriously play (unfortunately most of them proved how well they could play at other clubs) on the list at the same time.
    Plus Sockeye Salmon
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Plus Sockeye Salmon
    I said "could seriously play" Sockeye's talents lay more with the distribution of a well layed elbow.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

With the talls recruited and with the two good marking forwards, the mids will have to learn to kick to their advantage. Just a well weighted kick that favours our forward rather than his opponent should do most times. So Bont, Smith and Macrae should nail it less so Dunks but he should be OK. Toby, Cody and Caleb should be great at passing but I hope it is practised and along quality assurance lines and the customers i.e. the forwards, give their suppliers feedback about delivery.

17. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tall trio can work, says Naughton

Two things have Aaron Naughton excited about the build up to 2020.

One of those is finally being back on the park, after playing three quarters of a match simulation session at Mooloolaba on Sunday.

The other is playing alongside new recruit Josh Bruce and Josh Schache, which Naughton also got a look at in Sunday’s hit-out.

“It was our first time with the three talls to be able to work together,” Naughton said.

“It was pretty fresh.

“We worked it well… over the coming weeks and leading into the Marsh Community Series, we’ll be able to build that chemistry and no doubt it’s going to be a lot of fun up there.”

It’s been a different pre-season for Naughton, as he’s worked to overcome the first significant injury of his career.

The emerging forward sustained a serious knee injury in the Bulldogs’ elimination final loss to the GWS Giants, and has slowly built his training loads over the past couple of months.

He kicked two goals and took a big mark in the third quarter, but most importantly got through unscathed.

“It’s obviously been good this week up here in Mooloolaba, to be able to play a little bit of match sim has been nice,” Naughton said.

“It’s sort of a bit nerve-wracking first time out there again, but I’m building nicely.

“It was good to be able to be able to take a couple of marks and get the ball moving again.

“Not everything’s going to come back straight in the first match-sim, but it was nice to run around and attack the footy.”

19. Thanks GVGjr, bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Tall trio can work, says Naughton

Two things have Aaron Naughton excited about the build up to 2020.

One of those is finally being back on the park, after playing three quarters of a match simulation session at Mooloolaba on Sunday.

The other is playing alongside new recruit Josh Bruce and Josh Schache, which Naughton also got a look at in Sunday’s hit-out.

“It was our first time with the three talls to be able to work together,” Naughton said.

“It was pretty fresh.

“We worked it well… over the coming weeks and leading into the Marsh Community Series, we’ll be able to build that chemistry and no doubt it’s going to be a lot of fun up there.”

It’s been a different pre-season for Naughton, as he’s worked to overcome the first significant injury of his career.

The emerging forward sustained a serious knee injury in the Bulldogs’ elimination final loss to the GWS Giants, and has slowly built his training loads over the past couple of months.

He kicked two goals and took a big mark in the third quarter, but most importantly got through unscathed.

“It’s obviously been good this week up here in Mooloolaba, to be able to play a little bit of match sim has been nice,” Naughton said.

“It’s sort of a bit nerve-wracking first time out there again, but I’m building nicely.

“It was good to be able to be able to take a couple of marks and get the ball moving again.

“Not everything’s going to come back straight in the first match-sim, but it was nice to run around and attack the footy.”
    Personally don’t see all 3 playing inside 50 very often. Would love Schache as a high half forward using his mobility to take uncontested marks whilst streaming back into the F50 with the run.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Personally don’t see all 3 playing inside 50 very often. Would love Schache as a high half forward using his mobility to take uncontested marks whilst streaming back into the F50 with the run.
    Playing 3 tall's deep in the forward line would be problematic so there will be some tinkering
    Bruce and Naughton are of course great contested marks
    Bruce and Schache are very mobile and capable of playing further up the ground and we know Schache is a good kick

Grand Master Bevo has had a couple of months to plot the course we will be taking so I can't wait to see it in action and what surprises he might have up his short sleeves
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"