Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Richards vs Lipinski

I've talked about the potential for competition between a few players this year but I think the two that might slug it out and potentially go head to head for a position in the midfield are Ed Richards and Patrick Lipinski

Richards has been sensational since he arrived up the and has been a regular senior played 41 senior games. After a brilliant debut season where he played mainly in the back line, in 2019 he was challenged more as a half forward flanker and midfielder and he had mixed success. Richards averaged just 12 possessions a game which highlights his struggles with the new role.

Lipinski has been at the club a year longer and after a single game in his first season he's now racked up 32 with an encouraging 14 games last year all from round 10 onward's where his time in the midfield resulted in an average of 21 possessions and a very handy 11 goals in 14 games.

Based on the 2019 season Lipinski was the better performer but to counterbalance that argument Richards is a lot quicker and has a more penetrating kick which provides a contrast for our playing group

Which player do you see as the more likely starter for the 2020 season? I think they will both player but I'd have Lipinski slightly ahead. I'd really like to hear the reasons why you might have one ahead of the other?

While it's great to have depth if it comes down to picking one over the other then I don't envy the match committee this year
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Richards vs Lipinski

I think both will start in the 22.

Lipinski as a high half forward / midfielder and Richards on a wing. On exposed form Lipinski is ahead, but Ted has wheels and a bit more ability to hurt with his possessions. Lipinski will continue to be an effective accumulator who hits the scoreboard, and Richards a play who only needs it 18-20 times to break a game open.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe they are competing for the same role. Lippa is a mid/ forward whereas Richards is more a wing/HFF. Richards didn't have a consistent season in 2019, but at times showed some brilliance.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s an interesting view on who should play and are they competing against each other, but overall I think a best 22 has to be varied depending on the team we play against.
    They could both compliment each other with Richards break from the backline and Lipinski being on the end of it.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

I do think they can both be in the 22, but if it came down to a choice of either/or I choose Lipinski, who I see as more dependable.

However, Richards is more the impact player.

If they both bring their best they will be in the team together.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured