Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Weightman gets Johannisen’s backing for Round 1 debut

Weightman

Jason Johannisen has been impressed with what he’s seen from the Western Bulldogs’ top draft selection Cody Weightman and is tipping the “little pocket rocket” to break into the senior team as early as Round 1.

Western Bulldogs small forward Cody Weightman will push for a Round 1 debut alongside recruits Josh Bruce and Alex Keath despite massive selection pressure at the Kennel.

Norm Smith medallist Jason Johannisen backed Weightman’s claims, saying November’s No.15 draft pick was already pushing his name forward for an early debut.

The electric small forward was recruited to fit a specific need but will need to prove himself in the Marsh Community Series given excellent availability at the Whitten Oval.

Tom Liberatore (knee), Taylor Duryea (groin surgery) and draftee Riley Garcia (knee reconstruction) are the only players not able to take part in last Sunday’s match simulation in Queensland.

Keath and Bruce both played strongly as star tall Aaron Naughton returned from a serious knee concern to show he had made a full recovery.

Johannisen said he was thrilled how quickly 2019 All Australian and Dandenong Stringrays goalkicker Weightman adjusted to the pace of the game even after a strong summer on the track.

“He is a little pocket rocket. He has always got plenty of energy. He has surprised me with his ability and quickness and ability to jump. He can jump so high. He has the chance to take a mark of the year in his career. The club looks after the first-year boys but he’s doing the bulk of the work and he performed well in match simulation,” he said.

“He goes after the game like crazy so he’s been awesome. The way Bevo (Luke Beveridge) is with your selection, if you are good enough you can get a chance.”

The Dogs take on North Melbourne in a February 21 Marsh Community Series clash then Port Adelaide on March 7 in South Australia.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes weltschmerz, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weightman gets Johannisen’s backing for Round 1 debut

Sounds like Bevo will back Weightman to prove himself early. Awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to be a tough Round 1 Match Committee. Great!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Great news. Tough forward line to get a spot in and going to be so many unlucky players.

We should kick Gold Coast out the comp and have Footscray play as the 18th side.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Weightman's borderline flying ...

If he makes if off the bat, great, but which of the incumbent small forwards gets displaced?

And if that eventuates it's curious that Cavarra's been unable to stake a similar claim.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

7. Likes GVGjr, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Great news. Tough forward line to get a spot in and going to be so many unlucky players.

We should kick Gold Coast out the comp and have Footscray play as the 18th side.
    Oh please no watching Australia A play Australia was so hard for me I could not imagine Footscray v the Western Bulldogs. It's would be like choosing a favourite child you just can't !!!!
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    Oh please no watching Australia A play Australia was so hard for me I could not imagine Footscray v the Western Bulldogs. It's would be like choosing a favourite child you just can't !!!!
    Go for the underdog!

Post Thanks / Like

Footscray everytime. I'm a Footscray boy.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Footscray everytime. I'm a Footscray boy.
    I'm a braybrook boy and yes Footscray was my induction but bulldog v bulldog no thanks
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

WB aka Scraggers all the way!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

If he makes if off the bat, great, but which of the incumbent small forwards gets displaced?

And if that eventuates it's curious that Cavarra's been unable to stake a similar claim.
    Might make things hard for Cavarra this year, but I'm not writing him off. He was a mid in the past which means he might be able to play HF which is a very difficult role at AFL level. Lloyd won't be around forever, and I expect this is Dickson's last year.

I hope Weightman can crumb because pre-draft everyone compared him more to Jamie Elliot than a traditional crumbing forward.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a braybrook boy and yes Footscray was my induction but bulldog v bulldog no thanks
    I'm playing indoor at Lily street at the moment-we tend to decide what sport when we gather it might be European handball or soccer. Last week we played indoor soccer and I was in goal while my son was playing for the other team. Geez it's fun watching your very own boy bearing down on you with the ball at his feet while you try and make yourself really big and protect the goals. He got one past me in the second half but he'd unwittingly run into my area (Fer *!*!*!*!s sake now you blokes are just making up rules as you go along) so it didn't count!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

17. Likes S Coast Simon, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Might make things hard for Cavarra this year, but I'm not writing him off. He was a mid in the past which means he might be able to play HF which is a very difficult role at AFL level. Lloyd won't be around forever, and I expect this is Dickson's last year.

I hope Weightman can crumb because pre-draft everyone compared him more to Jamie Elliot than a traditional crumbing forward.
    I think you might have plucked my entire thought process out of my head...

Agree completely - would love a avatar to get a shot

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    I think you might have plucked my entire thought process out of my head...

Agree completely - would love a avatar to get a shot
    Cavarra* - can’t edit post on phone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    WB aka Scraggers all the way!
    Thanks Eastdog
    WOOF Member 422