Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cordy vs Trengove

A bit like a previous thread (Richards vs Lipinski) where we look at two players 'potentially' going for the one spot
    Both players endured some lean times in 2019 but they are basically one on one contested defenders and with the inclusion of Alex Keath (Interceptor) there is a potential for a shoot out between the two of them for a round spot.

Jackson Trengove - Experienced and versatile who played 16 games for us despite not getting a game for the first 5 for the season and then being dropped for the last H&A game and the final. He played mainly back but filled in well for Tim English in the ruck as well.
    His best game for the season when he wasn't in the ruck I think was against the Pies who are also our first round opponent this year

Zaine Cordy
    - Was a mainstay in our defence last year playing 23 games. He didn't play anywhere near as good as he has previously but with a bit of luck we should see him returning to some better form in 2020

So who gets first crack at the Pies this season? Is there room for both?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cordy vs Trengove

I think the FB roll is a contest between Trengove v Young. This was evident in our last few games in 2019. I have said many times Cordy is a third man in defense and not a KPP and we shouldn't be trying to make him one.

Young got the nod in the Final, but I think we really needed Trengove. He really steadied the ship in defense last year, and we started to tighten up. He still makes a couple of silly errors every now and then with trying to kick short, but I think he competes well against the bigger opponents. On the other hand, the biggest mistake for the year was Cordy conceding about 20 cm to Mason Cox in a match we should have won.

We really threw Cordy to the wolves at times during 2019, and he failed. With Keath coming in, the whole backline dynamics will change.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think the FB roll is a contest between Trengove v Young. This was evident in our last few games in 2019. I have said many times Cordy is a third man in defense and not a KPP and we shouldn't be trying to make him one.

Young got the nod in the Final, but I think we really needed Trengove. He really steadied the ship in defense last year, and we started to tighten up. He still makes a couple of silly errors every now and then with trying to kick short, but I think he competes well against the bigger opponents. On the other hand, the biggest mistake for the year was Cordy conceding about 20 cm to Mason Cox in a match we should have won.

We really threw Cordy to the wolves at times during 2019, and he failed. With Keath coming in, the whole backline dynamics will change.
    Agree with this, trengove v Young and Wood v Cordy are probably going to be hotly debated by the match comitee
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

While it might have some merit I don't quite see it that way.
    To me Young is more or less pitted against Keath for a spot perhaps in an understudy role. You can certainly play both but then I think you then have to play either Cordy or Trengove and I'm not certain we can replicate 3 tall defenders like we are hoping to do in the forward line. Young is a good mover though

As for Cordy not being a tall defender, it's where the coach has been playing him for a few seasons now and unless he is reinvented into another role over the summer, I think it's reasonable to suggest that is the spot he is fighting to hold this year.
    Any chance of moving him forward like we did in 2016 is unlikely now with the addition of Bruce

Unless we are reprogramming Young and are changing his approach to be a more of a contested beast he's been used more effectively as a zoning/intercept defender type. When we replaced Trengove with Young late in the season we still had Cordy.

To me I still think it's a very strong chance that there is a bit of a shoot out between Trengove and Cordy

Would we be bold enough to go all in on 3 taller players or more who are better suited to zoning and intercepting? Perhaps it might be in Bevo's wheelhouse

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Would we be bold enough to go all in on 3 taller players or more who are better suited to zoning and intercepting? Perhaps it might be in Bevo's wheelhouse
    I can't see us doing that, but you never know. It may depend on the make up of the opposition, but then again we saw Cordy play on Betts in the final H&A.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Jackson is a good, physical and aggressive defender. Has a few tricks up gis sleeve, but often overplays them. Ambition sometimes outstrips ability. He's probably in a spot now where his inclusion will be horses for courses. I'd play him and absolutely flog him through the middle as a bullocking ruckman to offset the more athletic and classy presence of English. Treat him like we did Hudson and at times Minson. Workhorse. A Clydesdale.

Cordy was hung out to dry a bit last year. He has a good attitude. Meat and potatoes, Morris style defence should be his main gig. Keep the ball use simple and provide him with decent aerial support and all his strengths, that mongrel and competitiveness, starts to shine. Wood's poor form for chunks of last season and the unsettled back line weren't ideal for Cordy.

7. Likes GVGjr, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TBH I though Trengove's best game was against the Tigers when he blanketed Lynch. Cordy's was probably the final when he took on Cameron.

Both are probably the only real stoppers we have on the list, and both have a healthy streak of bastard in them. Lewie Young intercepts better than he 1 on 1 defends, Lachie Yougn is a tallish rebounder, and Keath is an intercepting CHB type.
    Cordy really is better on quicker forwards rather than powerful forwards. Hopefully he becomes our go-to man for the superstar mid sizers like De Goey, Raynor, etc
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    TBH I though Trengove's best game was against the Tigers when he blanketed Lynch. Cordy's was probably the final when he took on Cameron.

Both are probably the only real stoppers we have on the list, and both have a healthy streak of bastard in them. Lewie Young intercepts better than he 1 on 1 defends, Lachie Yougn is a tallish rebounder, and Keath is an intercepting CHB type.
    Cordy really is better on quicker forwards rather than powerful forwards. Hopefully he becomes our go-to man for the superstar mid sizers like De Goey, Raynor, etc
    That's the point I'm trying to make, We played both of them together for a fair chunk of the season but with Keath's inclusion we might have to decide between one or the other.

I also agree with your assessment on Lewy Young and that's why I think with Keath coming into the list he's not really competing with Trengove and Cordy

Post Thanks / Like

That's the point I'm trying to make, We played both of them together for a fair chunk of the season but with Keath's inclusion we might have to decide between one or the other.

I also agree with your assessment on Lewy Young and that's why I think with Keath coming into the list he's not really competing with Trengove and Cordy
    Absolutely we will on a week to week basis and it's the sort of thing that will keep the coaching staff awake at night running the permutations.

Fantastic position to be in.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

The MC last year showed they were more willing to pick Cordy over Trengove. Obviously Keath is a bona-fide lock.

Trengove tends to lock down the no 1 forward, but only the no 1 forward. Cordy can roll across opponents which is how our back six tends to operate as a group.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The MC last year showed they were more willing to pick Cordy over Trengove. Obviously Keath is a bona-fide lock.

Trengove tends to lock down the no 1 forward, but only the no 1 forward. Cordy can roll across opponents which is how our back six tends to operate as a group.
    I enjoyed it went he rolled across Cal Ward in 2016. Might have just won the game for us.

14. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I enjoyed it went he rolled across Cal Ward in 2016. Might have just won the game for us.
    It disgusted me, as much as I was pissed with Ward for leaving we shot ourselves in him doing so and I hate to see a contest killed like that, as much as I hated seeing Roughead going down killing it.

What really pisses me off is the ongoing media talk that uses the former incident as a pivotal moment in the game but the latter barely rating a mention, ironically given Tom Boyd's true coming of age game in the eyes of many pundits.

So be it, we won, we would have won anyway because nothing was stopping us, and Callan should come back to play with us and give up this charade (oh wait, his dickhead Dad is an EFC supporter who always told him the Bulldogs were losers and always wanted him to be coached by a massive pisshead)……….footy.

I know, poor taste, but *!*!*!*! it. I'm back in Australia and getting into the low brow swing of things.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It disgusted me, as much as I was pissed with Ward for leaving we shot ourselves in him doing so and I hate to see a contest killed like that, as much as I hated seeing Roughead going down killing it.

What really pisses me off is the ongoing media talk that uses the former incident as a pivotal moment in the game but the latter barely rating a mention, ironically given Tom Boyd's true coming of age game in the eyes of many pundits.

So be it, we won, we would have won anyway because nothing was stopping us, and Callan should come back to play with us and give up this charade (oh wait, his dickhead Dad is an EFC supporter who always told him the Bulldogs were losers and always wanted him to be coached by a massive pisshead)……….footy.

I know, poor taste, but *!*!*!*! it. I'm back in Australia and getting into the low brow swing of things.

Welcome back to Oz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Cordy's knee deserves its own statue out the front of Braybrook Hotel.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

19. Likes bornadog, chef, Dry Rot, Eastdog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Cordy's knee deserves its own statue out the front of Braybrook Hotel.
    While we await this righteous monument perhaps we might interest you in this tasteful commemorative print?

BORDERLINE FLYING

21. Likes bornadog, Dry Rot, Eastdog liked this post