Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forward Planning - The Age 1995

I vividly recall a photo of Jakovich at pre-season training he looked 20kg's over playing weight. The alarm bells began ringing very early doors.Just out of interest does anyone know what's happened to Shaun Baxter?That had to be one of the worst years ever following the club,and by christ there's been a few

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Just out of interest does anyone know what's happened to Shaun Baxter?That had to be one of the worst years ever following the club,and by christ there's been a few
    He was on Gladiators last year as a contestant. He's working these days as a personal trainer and seems in good health.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    He did manage to kick 3 against the saints at OO late in 1996 to give us a rare win that year in a game we had no right to win.
    Didn't TC kick a few that day as well?

He looked hilarious with mafia slick back hair and gloves.

That was my first year of Uni and I was dating a Hawthorn fan, I didn't go to the footy much that year but I did manage to go to a Saturday night game vs Hawthorn at Waverley for one of the more humilating experience..... #$% we were bad. Daniel Hargrave (sorry if I've misspelt that) was the great forward hope then yeah? Jason Watts was alright in front of goal IIRC

I also seem to remember Jakovich being routinely ignored on the lead, but they may have had a lot to do with a lack of confidence the midfield had in him (maybe) Either that or he was just an unpopular thieving bastard

Thanks for posting that GVGjr, that was a great, if sad read
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

I always thought that Shaun would have been ok untill his health scare and was very happy to see him fit and healthy on gladiators (I might be wrong but I think he lived with Coon Dog when he first got to the club)
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by strebla View Post
    I always thought that Shaun would have been ok untill his health scare and was very happy to see him fit and healthy on gladiators (I might be wrong but I think he lived with Coon Dog when he first got to the club)
    You're thinking of Scott Taylor not Baxter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You're thinking of Scott Taylor not Baxter
    Correct GVGjr no idea how I got that wrong thanks
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    I did manage to go to a Saturday night game vs Hawthorn at Waverley for one of the more humilating experience..... #$% we were bad.

Was that the night that Dunstall had 11 at half time and was kicking them from all over the place? I think he was injured just before half time and seeing they were 100 goals in front already he spent the second half on the bench.

God we were woeful.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

This is a thread from many years back that I think many people missed so I thought it might be of some interest.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks G. Train wreck is a fair assessment. Lost a pure gun midfielder. Threw our first pick away for a tall forward. Did nothing with mid range picks. Mind you 1997 was two years after. Makes you further ponder 1997 with more competent list management.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Thanks G. Train wreck is a fair assessment. Lost a pure gun midfielder. Threw our first pick away for a tall forward. Did nothing with mid range picks. Mind you 1997 was two years after. Makes you further ponder 1997 with more competent list management.
    I don't think I can ponder 1997 any more than has already been pondered.

11. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunno about a train wreck. Todd Curley and Mark West were pretty good players in pretty good teams.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

13. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That Jakovich story MJP had was similar to some id heard about Jakovich and his time with us.
    Liked the lockers, but the problem was not his own locker.

Post Thanks / Like

It's great looking across the responses from all of the old posters. I wish I was here back then (not that I don't love you guys and gals).

Reading the original article, just a small tip of talent drafted at that time may have pushed us over the line in the prelim in 1997. Glad we didn't get some of the players missed in the article, I'll look back on that draft year to see what we missed out on when I'm feeling better about things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Dunno about a train wreck. Todd Curley and Mark West were pretty good players in pretty good teams.
    I kind of agree. Wacko Jacko was a waste, but we got good service out of Campbell, Curley and West (he nearly won a PF off his own boot). Would taking 3 kids have done anything? we may not have dropped away after 1999/2000, but the reality is, not unlike 2010 we had run our course in those years. What was impressive is that we took a punt.....

Post Thanks / Like

I think Tony Campbell's first tour of juty was better than his first.
    He had the Alan Jakovich diet