Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  51
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW - Bulldogs Women's Team Games thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Watching the game I was very impressed with Huntington.

Did anyone else think she moved like a female Bont. Very composed and moves nicely onto the left. Tall, slim build also.
    I think she has lost a bit of weight from last year.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Elli Blackburn with 10 coaches votes. The only AFLW to record this 4 times.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Elli Blackburn with 10 coaches votes. The only AFLW to record this 4 times.
    She is as good as Phillips but a different type of player, her evasiveness , periferal vision and knack of being where the ball is are very rare. She is a natural footballer. I would compare who to a Scott West type.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    She is as good as Phillips but a different type of player, her evasiveness , periferal vision and knack of being where the ball is are very rare. She is a natural footballer. I would compare who to a Scott West type.
    She reminds me more of Dale Thomas at his best. Incredible skills both in and outside the contest, and plays with a cockiness that would drive you mental having to come up against.

I love watching her play.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    The Saints second goal was from a crazy free kick in front. The camera work from channel 7 was bizarre in not showing the viewers again how the free eventuated. Or did I miss it?
    That free kick, and the deliberate rushed against Spark when she had something 30cm behind her, were very interesting. From my spot at the ground behind the goals, I think Scott pushed the saints player over...maybe?

Coaches votes were spot on for me. Ellie BOG followed by Lamb, Ferres and Huntington.

Very glad Scotty only got a reprimand for her physicality. She will almost certainly get suspended at some point this season.

6. Likes Bulldog4life, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Very glad Scotty only got a reprimand for her physicality. She will almost certainly get suspended at some point this season.
    Hell yeah
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    The Saints second goal was from a crazy free kick in front. The camera work from channel 7 was bizarre in not showing the viewers again how the free eventuated. Or did I miss it?
    The Saints girl Sedunary when she got up after being tackled (fairly) sort of grabbed/pushed one of our girls underneath her. Someone pushed her back and she fell over. Free kick.

Sedunary was weirdly angry at that stage. After she kicked the goal from the shit free kick to put them about 40 points down she ran up to Blackburn who was on the mark and shoved/pushed her in the chest as if they just took the lead. It was super lame and just made her look like a dickhead.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    The Saints girl Sedunary when she got up after being tackled (fairly) sort of grabbed/pushed one of our girls underneath her. Someone pushed her back and she fell over. Free kick.

Sedunary was weirdly angry at that stage. After she kicked the goal from the shit free kick to put them about 40 points down she ran up to Blackburn who was on the mark and shoved/pushed her in the chest as if they just took the lead. It was super lame and just made her look like a dickhead.
    She can play though.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

The AFLW Bulldogs’ first win of the season has unfortunately come at a cost, with ruck Celine Moody and forward-turned-defender Izzy Huntington sustaining injuries in the 25-point win over St Kilda.

Moody suffered an ankle injury before quarter-time, with scans revealing she will miss approximately three to four weeks.

Huntington will also be sidelined for Friday night’s clash against Melbourne with concussion symptoms, following a head knock late in the game.

Vice-captain Brooke Lochland is tracking well in her hamstring strain recovery, while draftee Issy Grant will spend a few more weeks in a moon-boot before being reassessed.

Utility Ash Guest is nearing a return as well, following ligament damage she sustained to her knee and ankle during the pre-season.

The Bulldogs will host the Demons at VU Whitten Oval on Friday night at 7.40pm.

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/n...-of-dees-clash

11. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hannah Scott may have to go back for Issy and Rennie to carry the ruck.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

THREE players have accepted reprimands for rough conduct after round one of the NAB AFLW season.

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT Sarah Black wraps up round one

Gold Coast ruck Lauren Bella was charged with rough conduct against GWS forward Cora Staunton, with the incident graded as careless conduct with low impact to the head.

An incident between Hannah Scott and Emma Mackie was graded as careless conduct with low impact to the body, with the former charged with rough conduct.

St Kilda utility Tilly Lucas-Rodd was the third charged with rough conduct, with her case against Kirsty Lamb rated as careless conduct with low impact to the head.

https://womens.afl/news/43987/three-...-in-r1-no-bans

14. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFLW Round 2 | Western Bulldogs vs Melbourne
    When: Friday 14 February

Where: VU Whitten Oval, 417 Barkly St, Footscray

Gates Open: 6pm AEDT
    Game Starts: 7.45pm AEDT

Admission: Free
    Broadcast: Foxtel and Channel 7, from 7.30pm. The match will also be streamed live on
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Blackburn, Lamb, Scott, Spark are amongst a bunch of foundation dogs who are still there. We had five debutantes today, but the rest of the 22 are unchanged from previous years, a number of them premiership players. The passion for the club from Ellie in particular is obvious - she grew up a saints supporter, and there's no way they wouldn't have approached her.

As for the game today, our skills and toughness were so impressive. Hitting long targets and being clean in close, we made good decisions including timely switches of play and good running patterns.

Toogood looked fantastic early, while Blackburn and Lamb were up to their usual tricks. Ferres continued on from her 2019 form in the VFLW, and Scott/Spark/Huntington were rocks in defence.

It was great to see Dani Marshall get a goal early, and the top 10 picks looked solid.

The saints will be pleased with their first game, with a lot of their debutantes playing significant roles. The crowd and atmosphere at Moorabbin had nothing on Whitten Oval though!
    I have to admit to being considerably more happy this week than I was last week. The girls looked fit and hungry and it's amazing what a win at Moorabin can do for confidence. I watched a couple of games and thought our team looked the best. Well organized in defence, outside runners and tall forwards to kick the ball to.

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Went down yesterday with my daughter - 3 y.o. Great atmosphere, good crowd and good quality footy. So much to offer the community with the season. The improvement in the quality of play between this year and 2 years ago is noticeable IMO. Fantastic trajectory for the league. Whether it captures a new audience or extends across existing AFL fans time will tell.

Getting a 3 year old excited about 4 quarters of footy was another, We did see Bailey Smith which was nice, though she didn’t care.
    I'm pretty sure that Bailey Smith is a boy. Pretty rude though, not caring like that.

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Could it make the game more congested?

I'm not sure that the theory of a smaller ground will mean a higher score
    It's like that question about batting on a big ground like the MCG. Are there more gaps in the field due to the size of the ground or does the boundary being further away make it harder to score? I'm a gaps man myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Watching the game I was very impressed with Huntington.

Did anyone else think she moved like a female Bont. Very composed and moves nicely onto the left. Tall, slim build also.
    Sort of like a combination of Bont and Scott West.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Versatile Scott ready for coach’s command

We’ve become accustomed to seeing Hannah Scott command the backline, but prepare to watch the 2018 All-Australian defender in a variety of positions this year.

Scott spent large portions of Sunday's win against St Kilda in the midfield to great effect, finishing with 17 disposals and three inside 50s, and indicated a move forward may even be on the cards in 2020.

"[Coach Nathan Burke] is pretty open about going where it's needed at the time. It could be midfield, it could be forward, it could be back, I'm not really locked down to a spot at the moment," Scott said.

"I think I'd be spending a little bit more time in the midfield this season, but it's just a rotational thing, I guess.

"It'll probably be more forward or mid, but it'll just be whatever the game calls for at the time. Whatever 'Burkey' says, goes."

The tough 29-year-old made headlines for a heavy but fair bump on Saint Nadia von Bertouch and doesn't plan to change her attack on the ball.

"I didn't think we were going to collect, but she got pushed into my path, and it all happened so quickly that I just thought about getting the ball and I didn't think about too much else," Scott said.

"I sat on the ground for a bit because I was so shocked with how quickly she popped up. You can see me sitting there, [but] I just loved how quickly she got up and trotted off. For me, that's what footy's about. You go hard and all you're thinking about is that football, but at the end of the day you shake hands, and what happens on the field stays there.

"At times, it gets you a bit fiery for that next contest, it gets your blood pumping a bit.

"It's great, the crowd involvement, and that's one of the great excitements for me playing here is the Doggies faithful that comes out. It gets so loud, so I'm excited for our pups who haven't played here yet, because that first time you hear it, it's not something you'll ever forget."

The Western Bulldogs will be hosting Melbourne on Friday night at VU Whitten Oval, playing for the Hampson-Hardeman Cup.

Named for women's footy pioneers Barb Hampson and Lisa Hardeman – the duo who developed the first women's national championships in 1998 – the two clubs originally played a series of exhibition matches in the mid-2010s before the establishment of AFLW.

"It all kicked off in 2013, I was wearing a Bulldogs jumper. I think I spent three games with the Bulldogs and then moved over to Melbourne," Melbourne midfielder Karen Paxman said.

"A fair bit of history there, and it's quite a significant match this Friday night and holds a bit more to it than just a normal round, so I think we're all excited to get out there.

"We've got a lot of girls who have played together and against each other in the past, so it's nice to see some familiar faces."

LINK

18. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Western Bulldogs have been forced to make two changes to their side for their first home game of the season against Melbourne this Friday night.

Draftee and former Oakleigh Charger Amelia Van Oosterwijck will make her red, white and blue debut in the 10th instalment of the Hampson-Hardeman Cup, while Eleanor Brown appears in the line-up for the first time this season.

They replace Celine Moody (ankle) and Izzy Huntington (concussion), who sustained injuries in the Bulldogs’ season-opener last Sunday.

Both Van Oosterwijck and Brown have been named on the interchange bench, alongside Dani Marshall, Nicole Callinan and Hannah Scott.

The last time the Bulldogs and Demons met was in Round 6 last year, with Melbourne recording a nail-biting one-point win in front of over 10,000 fans at Marvel Stadium.

They have clashed nine times since the first exhibition match in 2013, with the Bulldogs winning three of those contests.

Both sides recorded 2020 opening round wins - the Dogs impressing with a 25-point triumph over St Kilda, and the Dees edging out the Kangaroos by two points at Casey Fields.

The match will be televised live on Channel 7 and Fox Footy from 7.30pm, with the first bounce at 7.40pm.

Admission is free, with seats also available undercover in the Whitten Stand in case of rain.

Make sure you’re following @BulldogsW on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for all the latest updates.

AFLW ROUND 2
    Western Bulldogs v Melbourne
    Friday 14 February, 7.40pm AEDT
    VU Whitten Oval

B: Angelica Gogos, Lauren Spark
    HB: Katy Herron, Ellyse Gamble, Naomi Ferres
    C: Bailey Hunt, Kirsty Lamb, Gemma Lagioia
    HF: Gabby Newton, Bonnie Toogood, Kirsten McLeod
    F: Elisabeth Georgostathis, Deanna Berry
    Foll: Kim Rennie, Ellie Blackburn, Aisling McCarthy
    Int: Eleanor Brown, Dani Marshall, Nicole Callinan
    Hannah Scott, Amelia Van Oosterwijck
    Emer: Nell Morris-Dalton, Hannah Munyard

In: E. Brown, A. Van Oosterwijck.
    Out: C. Moody (ankle), I. Huntington (concussion).

LINK

20. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post