Thanks Thanks:  29
Likes Likes:  51
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW - Bulldogs Women's Team Games thread

I enjoyed watching the girls in their win over St.Kilda. They did the colours proud. Love their overall toughness especially Scotty.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Will they?
    More likely introduce some more rules to make life even more harder on the umps.
    Play the free kick and get on with the game it's the same with the men's. No prior is the problem go back to the original rule and if the ball isn't disposed by hand or foot pay the free.
    Yeah it's not hard. Or at least it's not if you are going out of your way to make it hard.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yeah it's not hard. Or at least it's not if you are going out of your way to make it hard.
    I watched 4x of the games.

The umpires CANNOT allow scrimmages to form in aflw...because the girls can’t kick far enough to clear the congestion. I have been going on about this for 3 years now but just:

1. Pay free kicks and pay them quickly.
    2. Ball it up...it ain’t coming out.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

4. Likes bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed also the girls like hanging on to the jumpers as well. I know is hard for the umps but if you see pay it.
    It may appear to be over officiated but a few weeks of being penalized for breaking the basic rules of the game and they will soon learn.
    The better and fitter players will get on their bike and open the game up.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Blackburn, Lamb, Scott, Spark are amongst a bunch of foundation dogs who are still there. We had five debutantes today, but the rest of the 22 are unchanged from previous years, a number of them premiership players. The passion for the club from Ellie in particular is obvious - she grew up a saints supporter, and there's no way they wouldn't have approached her.

As for the game today, our skills and toughness were so impressive. Hitting long targets and being clean in close, we made good decisions including timely switches of play and good running patterns.

Toogood looked fantastic early, while Blackburn and Lamb were up to their usual tricks. Ferres continued on from her 2019 form in the VFLW, and Scott/Spark/Huntington were rocks in defence.

It was great to see Dani Marshall get a goal early, and the top 10 picks looked solid.

The saints will be pleased with their first game, with a lot of their debutantes playing significant roles. The crowd and atmosphere at Moorabbin had nothing on Whitten Oval though!

7. Likes bornadog, Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I watched 4x of the games.

The umpires CANNOT allow scrimmages to form in aflw...because the girls can’t kick far enough to clear the congestion. I have been going on about this for 3 years now but just:

1. Pay free kicks and pay them quickly.
    2. Ball it up...it ain’t coming out.
    I still think the AFL and AFLW should have the same rules. This business of boundary umpires lining up 20 metres in from the boundary is rubbish, as is last touch.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I still think the AFL and AFLW should have the same rules. This business of boundary umpires lining up 20 metres in from the boundary is rubbish, as is last touch.
    Not if it's going to impact the game for them. As MJP say's at the moment they just don't have the kicking depth to keep the play boxed in. It needs for the game to be kept moving

I don't mind if a few rules are tweaked.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Went down yesterday with my daughter - 3 y.o. Great atmosphere, good crowd and good quality footy. So much to offer the community with the season. The improvement in the quality of play between this year and 2 years ago is noticeable IMO. Fantastic trajectory for the league. Whether it captures a new audience or extends across existing AFL fans time will tell.

Getting a 3 year old excited about 4 quarters of footy was another, We did see Bailey Smith which was nice, though she didn’t care.

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    As MJP say's at the moment they just don't have the kicking depth.
    Just on that, I would shorten the ground from goal to goal so more goals are kicked.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Just on that, I would shorten the ground from goal to goal so more goals are kicked.
    Could it make the game more congested?

I'm not sure that the theory of a smaller ground will mean a higher score
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Blackburn, Lamb, Scott, Spark are amongst a bunch of foundation dogs who are still there. We had five debutantes today, but the rest of the 22 are unchanged from previous years, a number of them premiership players. The passion for the club from Ellie in particular is obvious - she grew up a saints supporter, and there's no way they wouldn't have approached her.
    Blackburn simply has to be our marquee player now. Odds-on for our B&F.

The Huntington to backline move has worked, worrying when she came off late.

Izzy Grant's debut should get a bit of interest going as well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Good win for the girls. You can really see the impact of a few years in the elite system is having on our senior players. Look at Toogood and Lamb's physiques over their time in the Club and you'll see park footballers starting to build really athletic, strong bodies.We wi;; see big improvements from those mid tier senior players on that front and the younger girls are already driving the talent up.

H Scott remains my favourite. Great, physical. bruising footy from her. It's a joy to watch.

I find the umpiring of women's footy very frustrating. Its not that they adjudicate differently to the men's games, rather that the errors they make in men's footy are really exposed in women's footy. They put the whistle away in men's footy and the stronger bodies tend to find a way to keep driving things regardless. In the women's game where territory and possession have a much higher value, letting the game get clogged up really hurts. Just pay it as they see it, to the same rules. At the moment they pay it within the context of creating a particular look for the game. It creates problems in both.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I find the umpiring of women's footy very frustrating. Its not that they adjudicate differently to the men's games, rather that the errors they make in men's footy are really exposed in women's footy. They put the whistle away in men's footy and the stronger bodies tend to find a way to keep driving things regardless. In the women's game where territory and possession have a much higher value, letting the game get clogged up really hurts. Just pay it as they see it, to the same rules. At the moment they pay it within the context of creating a particular look for the game. It creates problems in both.
    They straight up tried to get St Kilda a second goal yesterday through free kicks. It’s something you’d expect to see in Auskick.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    They straight up tried to get St Kilda a second goal yesterday through free kicks. It’s something you’d expect to see in Auskick.
    The Saints second goal was from a crazy free kick in front. The camera work from channel 7 was bizarre in not showing the viewers again how the free eventuated. Or did I miss it?

Post Thanks / Like

Watching the game I was very impressed with Huntington.

Did anyone else think she moved like a female Bont. Very composed and moves nicely onto the left. Tall, slim build also.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured