Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

McLean building for big 2020

McLean building for big 2020

Toby McLean sets himself high standards.

Despite playing 19 games at senior level in 2019, it’s a year he’s happy to leave in the rear-view mirror.

A big pre-season campaign is the key to turning things around after a year he described as inconsistent from a personal point of view.

“If you’re comparing it to the year before, I thought I had a lot better year in 2018 – numbers-wise, anyway,” McLean said.

“(Last year) I got dropped, came back for a few games, then got injured and found it hard to find my feet again.

“I’m definitely looking forward to this year to see what I can provide for the team.”

In the space of five seasons as a Bulldog, McLean has quietly gone about his business to become a regular at AFL level – and has played 60 of a possible 67 matches since featuring in the 2016 premiership side.

Now 24 years old and entering his footballing prime, much like the Bulldogs’ group overall, McLean is driven to make a more consistent impact.

Having settled more forward than in the midfield during 2019, he sees himself playing a similar role this year and is building his pre-season plan accordingly.

There’s plenty of competition for spots in that forward line, with recruit Josh Bruce and draftee Cody Weightman adding to a group which clicked at the end of 2019, kicking more than 100 points in four of the team’s last five home-and-away matches.

“This year, I think I’ll be playing more forward again, so I’ll be working on my forward craft a lot more in training as we build towards the games,” McLean said.

“You’re always looking to get stronger and fitter and you find yourself comparing yourself to other boys that are out there.

“I just want to be as influential as I can in every game that I play and hopefully play the 22 games for the year – and hopefully we can play finals again.

“We’ll wait and see what happens.

“It’s definitely a healthy environment that we’ve got at the moment and hopefully we can start well in round one.”

2. Thanks bornadog, Dancin' Douggy, GVGjr, mjp, Bulldog4life, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: McLean building for big 2020

I just watched the Geelong game. toby was great in that win. A fit, strong consistent Toby Mclean would be a great weapon.Hope he has a great year

Post Thanks / Like

The successor to Lloyd as a high forward?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah agree 2018 was better for Toby than 2019. Hoping he has a great 2020 now.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Tobes was pretty disappointing last year; not bad per se but he didn't step up from what was essentially his break-out year. Using him as a high-half forward is probably the best use for him but we run into the problem where there's a few players that we'd want to rotate through there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Tobes was pretty disappointing last year; not bad per se but he didn't step up from what was essentially his break-out year. Using him as a high-half forward is probably the best use for him but we run into the problem where there's a few players that we'd want to rotate through there.
    We have a potent forward line now, a strong midfield and strong defence. Lots to be excited about. Just praying for no injuries.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"