Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Outside Dog adds Dusty power to toolkit in bid to 'explode'

BULLY-BALL' is already enough of a nightmare for opposing midfields when they face the Western Bulldogs, but it's about to get worse now that young gun Pat Lipinski looks to take the next step.

The midfielder averaged just a tick under 22 disposals per game in a breakout 2019 season, but he's not content with just being a skilled outside runner.

The one thing that the 21-year-old has added to his toolkit this year is something that separates Dustin Martin and Patrick Dangerfield from the rest of the pack.

"I want to get the ball and explode," Lipinski said.

"I'm adding more power in my game and in my midfield craft."
    Decision making has been a strength of Lipinski's but having the option to take on would-be tacklers gives the Bulldogs an extra dimension in a midfield already stacked with star power.

"Often I'd get the ball and flick it off quickly, which was still the right decision to make sometimes, but adding that power and strength to my game will help as I play more inside midfield."

Bulldogs midfield coach Jordan Russell and veteran Mitch Wallis have been working closely with Lipinski, Ed Richards and Billy Gowers on taking their in-and-under games to the next level.

"We work inside on a craft floor where we do midfield work. You do some work with contested one on ones, but for me it's mainly winning the ball and taking those first few steps with a burst out of the pack," Lipinski said.

Whilst Lipinski looks like a walk-up best 22 player, he knows the competition is beating down the door behind him.

"We have 40 healthy players and we have really good depth.
    I really have to improve to make sure that spot is mine."

After 17 games as a half-forward flanker in 2018, the young gun started 2019 in the VFL and ended up with just 14 senior games last season.

That demotion actually worked wonders for his ability to find the ball, as he started to figure out running patterns.

"The start of the year I played VFL just completely midfield and got better there. That correlated a little bit to the AFL and finding the ball more.

"The good thing with VFL is we play with the exact same game plan."

Going the extra mile to achieve success is something that runs in the blood for the young midfielder.

The Lipinksi family are an international team of go-getters all living out their dreams on three different continents.

Lipinski went over to New York in December to catch up with his brother Julian, who has recently finished his college basketball career.

"He played college basketball for four years for St Rose in Albany, upstate New York. He did really well there and now he's working in New York City doing equity sales and working on Wall Street," Lipinski said of his brother.

Lipinski's sister Stephanie also joined her siblings on the trip.

"I've got a sister as well working in London. She works for Stella McCartney so she's doing her dream job."

Lipinski will get his first chance to impress in the Marsh Community Series game against North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on Friday February 21.

LINK
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks mjp thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Outside Dog adds Dusty power to toolkit in bid to 'explode'

Good news. He's a smooth mover but if he can improve those first few steps it will make a big difference to his game.

Sounds like a family of overachievers too.

4. Likes bornadog, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Lippa will have a big year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

We really are oozing talent atm

Post Thanks / Like

He's pretty much Bont-lite.
    Has the same decision making, not quick acceleration but good skills and can go forward. A little shorter as well but still a decent size, good endurance.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Good news. He's a smooth mover but if he can improve those first few steps it will make a big difference to his game.

Sounds like a family of overachievers too.
    Now I'm worried that he's going to get his priorities wrong and give away important stuff like Footy to try and fix the world.

The World can wait Patty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He's pretty much Bont-lite.
    Has the same decision making, not quick acceleration but good skills and can go forward. A little shorter as well but still a decent size, good endurance.
    I think he's better forward than Bont is but Bont will be the dominant (more dominant) player in the middle. We are going to be a bit spoiled for riches with Bont/Lippa/MacLean and a couple of others all capable of spending time in the middle and then go forward and kick a goal.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    We are going to be a bit spoiled for riches with Bont/Lippa/MacLean and a couple of others all capable of spending time in the middle and then go forward and kick a goal.
    Totally agree. Can’t wait to see how we line up in the middle w those 3 plus macrae, Libba, Dunkley and Wally (pending fitness)

10. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Totally agree. Can’t wait to see how we line up in the middle w those 3 plus macrae, Libba, Dunkley and Wally (pending fitness)
    Bailey Smith has shown some natural forward craft too (front and centre, overhead ability isn't his thing).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers