Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Star Western Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton compared to North Melbourne legend Wayne Carey

Star Western Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton compared to North Melbourne legend Wayne Carey

Western Bulldogs forward Sam Lloyd says Aaron Naughton is ready to take the competition by storm this year as the 20-year-old draws club comparisons to a young Wayne Carey.

Naughton took the second-most contested marks in football as a 19-year-old and has recovered from a serious knee injury suffered in last year’s elimination final.

“I have never seen anything like it at his age,” Lloyd told the Herald Sun.

“We call him young Duck or the Duckling, he has got a bit of Carey about him and he’s got the swagger too. He’s built for the game.

“He was just over 19 last year and a couple of games when he was firing and had help from us, it was pretty special

“It's not that special when he’s flying over the top of your head all the time but I don't mind it when he’s duking it (marking it).

“He has got that much growth in him, he has only just ticked over 19 and he took a couple of games by the neck. He has had a couple of delays to his pre-season but he’s not the kind of guy who it would affect.

“You have seen his hands and timing and he has got all the good attributes to be a good forward and then you put it together with the confidence and the confidence we have in him, he’s got big things ahead of him.”

Lloyd said despite those lofty comparisons Naughton was the type of character not to get ahead of himself given his penchant for hard work and professionalism.

He is renowned for his level head, although Lloyd said his body was already that of a man: “Have you seen his rig? For 19, you don’t stand next to him with your shirt off in the locker room …”

Naughton’s 53 contested marks were second only to Richmond premiership star Tom Lynch’s 56, with no other young forward coming close to that haul.

Geelong’s Esava Ratugolea took 34 contest-d marks as a 21-year-old and Hawthorn’s Mitch Lewis took 27 contested marks as a 20-year old.

“I am excited about him and Josh Bruce,” Lloyd said of Naughton and the Dogs’ new recruit from the Saints.

“He probably got a bit of attention from two or three backs last year and we tried to help him as much as we could, but with Brucey and Josh Schache it gives him more freedom and another option to go long to.”

Lloyd is excited by the depth on show in the Dogs forward line, with Bailey Dale making an exceptional recovery from a navicular issue, Ben Cavarra impressing after an injury-riddled 2019 and Cody Weightman the first-year forward with X factor.

Lloyd had the ninth-most shots at goal last year for 38 goals and at 29 is keen to win another contract with his deal expiring at the end of this season.

““I am out of contract at the end of the year, so hopefully chats (on a new deal) start soon to extend it,” he said.

“I am in no hurry, I wanted to get through another pre-season uninjured and hopefully have a productive year.”

2. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Star Western Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton compared to North Melbourne legend Wayne Carey

Can we put *not injured* or *he's fine* in the title of this thread? Reading "Star Western Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton..." scared the shit out of me.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

4. Likes Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Star Western Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton compared to North Melbourne legend Wayne Carey

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Can we put *not injured* or *he's fine* in the title of this thread? Reading "Star Western Bulldogs forward Aaron Naughton..." scared the shit out of me.
    Sorry, the Herald Sun love long winded headlines.

Post Thanks / Like

Salivating at the thought of The Duck 2.0 - on-field only - running around in the red, white and blue.

I do find Bob Murphy’s comparison of him to Nick Riewoldt more accurate