Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 28 of 28
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West of somewhere.
    Posts
    3,618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

    It can work some weeks. We will love it.

    It won’t work other weeks. We will bemoan it.

    I have no idea how we could play that tall (assuming Dale who is not a ground level player really plays as well...not to mention Dickson) and kick a winning score from week to week.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    26,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

    Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It can work some weeks. We will love it.

    It won’t work other weeks. We will bemoan it.

    I have no idea how we could play that tall (assuming Dale who is not a ground level player really plays as well...not to mention Dickson) and kick a winning score from week to week.
    We've tried 2 KP forwards with 3 mid sized players along side of them. Playing 3 KP forwards poses some other challenges and might mean we need 2 smaller pressure forwards in the forward line and that puts a bit of pressure on the likes of Lloyd, Dickson and Dale

    Lloyd and Dale in particular were often recipients of a midfield kicking to them and honoring their leads so I wonder if a 3rd key forward will command more of a focus from the midfield. The likes of Lloyd and Dale might need to refine their games just a bit from last season

    Fitting Schache, Naughton and Bruce up forward is going to be an interesting challenge for Bevo
    Tough times don't last, tough people do

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    I'm not convinced by this top-heavy, 'too tall' narrative that's being advanced by lazy meeja types.

    Schache might be the tallest of the trio but he's a mobile flanker in a key-position player's body. His height, athleticism and willingness to work make him a tricky matchup, particularly if he's getting the '3rd best' defender.

    Furthermore Naughton & Bruce are hardly plodding dinosaurs. Naughts particularly has surprised more than a few rebounding defenders with his toe and tenacity once the ball hits the deck. Assume you've got the big bloke covered at your peril. The tackles he lays when he collars someone are a joy to watch.

    I'm bullish the three-headed hydra can work, and work well but it's a novel set-up for everyone so it'll take some time to develop the right chemistry to get there ... assuming Bevo has that sort of patience before sending someone to CHB.
    My concerns have nothing to do with whether they are mobile enough in an attacking sense. They are all ok in their own right and can cover ground well enough. As a unit with our defensive method I question how we can close space to defend quick enough.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We've tried 2 KP forwards with 3 mid sized players along side of them. Playing 3 KP forwards poses some other challenges and might mean we need 2 smaller pressure forwards in the forward line and that puts a bit of pressure on the likes of Lloyd, Dickson and Dale

    Lloyd and Dale in particular were often recipients of a midfield kicking to them and honoring their leads so I wonder if a 3rd key forward will command more of a focus from the midfield. The likes of Lloyd and Dale might need to refine their games just a bit from last season

    Fitting Schache, Naughton and Bruce up forward is going to be an interesting challenge for Bevo
    This is another issue. Dale is essentially a KPP. He may be more mobile and not quite that big but his method of getting the ball is lead and mark. Have had similar scenarios at a lower level before and your 4/5/6 forwards might be in your best 15 players but you can’t necessarily play them all.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    41,561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

    Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    My concerns have nothing to do with whether they are mobile enough in an attacking sense. They are all ok in their own right and can cover ground well enough. As a unit with our defensive method I question how we can close space to defend quick enough.
    My gut feel is we won't see all three on the ground at the same time throughout the whole game. We will use rotations through both the forward line and Ruck roles.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  6. Likes Testekill liked this post
  7. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    26,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    My gut feel is we won't see all three on the ground at the same time throughout the whole game. We will use rotations through both the forward line and Ruck roles.
    Of course there will be times when we have one or or even two of them off the ground but essentially we have flagged our intentions to work with the 3 of them up forward as tall forward unit. Unless there are injuries I suspect we will have 3 tall forwards for 70% of the playing time. One of them will also provide a chop out for English
    Tough times don't last, tough people do

  8. Thanks The Underdog thanked for this post
  9. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    41,561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Of course there will be times when we have one or or even two of them off the ground but essentially we have flagged our intentions to work with the 3 of them up forward as tall forward unit. Unless there are injuries I suspect we will have 3 tall forwards for 70% of the playing time. One of them will also provide a chop out for English

    Time will tell
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    26,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Time will tell
    I guess the question is do you think we recruited a player who kicks 30 plus goals a year to spread the load of interchanges?
    Tough times don't last, tough people do

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    631
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

    Schache has a huge tank and covers a ton of ground per game, we'll be able to make it work.

  12. Likes Mofra liked this post
  13. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mulligan's Boogie-board
    Posts
    9,468
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

    Adelaide made a GF playing 4 tall players, and we're concerned about playing three?

    I say give it a chance to work. Schache is a lead and mark player, Naughton and Bruce are contested marking types.
    The question for me isn't if we can play Schache with Naughton and Bruce, it's can we play Schache with Dale. Dale is more mobile and smarter, Schache a much harder worker.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

  14. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,205
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Adelaide made a GF playing 4 tall players, and we're concerned about playing three?

    I say give it a chance to work. Schache is a lead and mark player, Naughton and Bruce are contested marking types.
    The question for me isn't if we can play Schache with Naughton and Bruce, it's can we play Schache with Dale. Dale is more mobile and smarter, Schache a much harder worker.
    That Adelaide team played a completely different game style.

  15. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West of somewhere.
    Posts
    3,618
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

    Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Adelaide made a GF playing 4 tall players, and we're concerned about playing three.
    I am. And in that GF, Richmond played 1x tall forward and 2x tall defenders...and wiped Adelaide off the park with run and pressure. It is a good comparison as well because Schache isn’t a dissimilar type to Walker.

    I Justin think it is going to be one of those things where in Naughts is catching them and drawing defenders, it’ll be great...otherwise...

    Oh. And I don’t think Dale and Schache can both be in the side.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

  16. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,471
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

    The TV commentators shit me to tears with Josh. The question his ‘work rate’ despite it being very good. They ignore him kicking 19.5 when coming in to the team late last year. They ignore he is 22 and 200cm.

    Tonight they ignore the constant scragging without frees, although the umps fixed that in the second half. They ignore all his work up the ground and second rucking. Then when he kicks 2.0 and 7 score involvements, and gets 18 disposals at 89% (half contested), 4 marks and did a lot of smart things for team mates to score that the star sheet doesn’t show. On physicality he took some big hits and laid a great tackle at chb to stop the North repeat entries. He then passed it laterally to get to chf to be the target in the next pack. But work rate...

    Then the commentators are silent. Of criticism or praise. I’m not sure why this non fact based narrative is back in 2020. Is this the best we can all hope for is, commentator silence when Josh continues to do his job? It’s getting close to the media narrative that ‘Tom Boyd should fail’.

  17. Thanks GVGjr, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, Twodogs liked this post
  18. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    26,632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

    I think we are about to see a more focused Josh Schache this year. He was more physical last night, blocking defenders to help Young up forward and his work around the ground and that brilliant tap to Bont I thought were all huge positives in his performance
    Some can write off achievements like last night because it's not a home and away or finals game but seeing some of the things that Schache did last night is why I really enjoy going to training sessions, intraclub games and things like the Marsh series games because you get the chance to focus on a few players and see if they have improved on the previous year.
    Schache is a strong chance to take a step forward this year.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do

  19. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •