Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why Josh Schache believes the Bulldogs can make it work with three talls

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    So after 6 rounds Schache finds himself dropped after a shocking performance in conditions that didn't suit him.

So the question is...

What the hell do we do with him?

He'll never be the top banana in a forward line, and the way we set up just doesn't seem to take advantage of his strengths. With Naughton to come back and JUH on his way, is it time to completely flip the script and try him in a different position entirely?

I honestly think we should consider developing him as a defender and see where it takes him. He reminds me of Liam Jones in a lot of ways, and we know how his move to defence has worked out for the Blues.

At 200cm, he has the length to take the big blokes that Keath and Cordy will always struggle with.

Thoughts?
    He doesn't have that burst speed that Liam Jones has, nor the leap so I'm not sure it will work as well. Having said that, Roughy is playing solid football as a FB and he's not quick.

Schache does his best work when he can run and run and run - he covers midfielders Kms in game, sometimes more. If the game is congested you may as well sub him out as he just isn't good without space to work in.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

So after 6 rounds Schache finds himself dropped after a shocking performance in conditions that didn't suit him.

So the question is...

What the hell do we do with him?

He'll never be the top banana in a forward line, and the way we set up just doesn't seem to take advantage of his strengths. With Naughton to come back and JUH on his way, is it time to completely flip the script and try him in a different position entirely?

I honestly think we should consider developing him as a defender and see where it takes him. He reminds me of Liam Jones in a lot of ways, and we know how his move to defence has worked out for the Blues.

At 200cm, he has the length to take the big blokes that Keath and Cordy will always struggle with.

Thoughts?
    How does he remind you of Liam Jones? My concern is he doesn't have the aerial gifts of say Liam Jones or Darcy Moore which could cover for his lack of intensity (perceived or real). He may have the length to take the big blokes but does he have the strength and one on one defensive nous?

His main strength is his aerobic capacity - he should be playing the old Bob Murphy role when he was our CHF but if the game or conditions don't suit he really does struggle.

The recruitment of Bruce, the preference of Bailey Dale and his own actions have really put him in no mans land.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Schache is still a young bloke and has plenty of improvement in him. He needs to work on his deficiencies and he will make his way back into the team.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes mjp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    How does he remind you of Liam Jones?
    A key position player who is struggling to have an impact forward.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

A key position player who is struggling to have an impact forward.
    The issue here though is that Schache's really a bruise-free flanker with key position height.

There's no real aerial dimension to his game, and he needs time and space to utilise his ample skills, two commodities in precious short supply in modern forward lines.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    The issue here though is that Schache's really a bruise-free flanker with key position height.

There's no real aerial dimension to his game, and he needs time and space to utilise his ample skills, two commodities in precious short supply in modern forward lines.
    We don't need him to be dominate in the air as a defender. I'm happy for him to just negate the tall blokes we always struggle against, and use his footskills coming out of the defensive 50.

I'd just like to see how it goes. I'm still bitter we didn't try it ourselves with LJ and it was that basketcase Carlton that had some vision to try something different.

Because let's face, Schache is heading for the scrap heap if we continue to yo-yo him in and out of the side after every poor performance.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

The player that Schache most resembles for mine is Matt Taberner, in terms of similar strengths and weaknesses (Taberner more advanced due to his age and experience). Tanerner is becoming a very consistent player after many years of inconsistent output - I think Schache is capable of eventually reaching that level if he continues to work hard on his deficiencies.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

9. Likes azabob, bornadog, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to lose trying Schache out in the praccy matches they have in the backline. Unfortunately with no VFL matches it makes it difficult. I could imagine him more on the wing. Big engine and good field kick. Not the fastest going around but would prefer him there than La Young. Ability to kick goals too.

Post Thanks / Like

Moving Naughton Fwd has pretty much stamped Schaches papers as far as I’m concerned...unfortunately, coz I’m very much in the Naughton to defence Group.
    I will never see #16 the same!!