Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  107
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marsh Cup 2020 - Bulldogs vs North

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Those who watched do you think Sweet can be relied going to help out English if injured or rested.
    I suspect we'd favour Trengove, simply because he has the bigger engine.
    Sweet shows signs but he had more of a chop-out during the game than English or Trengove would have required. Firmly in the 'developing' category for mine.

I was really, really surprised with his kicking though. Pleasantly surprised.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

2. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I suspect we'd favour Trengove, simply because he has the bigger engine.
    Sweet shows signs but he had more of a chop-out during the game than English or Trengove would have required. Firmly in the 'developing' category for mine.

I was really, really surprised with his kicking though. Pleasantly surprised.
    Goldstein tore the Dogs apart in 2019 and was clearly best on ground, so I think we have to take the quality of Sweet’s opponents into account when assessing him.

His use of the ball by foot and hand surprised me. The way he used his body to hold ground in ruck contests was positive. Although Goldstein had more hitouts (seemed taller?) a larger proportion were ineffective than last year. Sweet also tried to hit the ball to advantage and was more successful than we usually see. I suspect that he was close to even in that aspect.

For a first game l saw a lot to like.

4. Thanks Go_Dogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Danjul View Post
    Goldstein tore the Dogs apart in 2019 and was clearly best on ground, so I think we have to take the quality of Sweet’s opponents into account when assessing him.

His use of the ball by foot and hand surprised me. The way he used his body to hold ground in ruck contests was positive. Although Goldstein had more hitouts (seemed taller?) a larger proportion were ineffective than last year. Sweet also tried to hit the ball to advantage and was more successful than we usually see. I suspect that he was close to even in that aspect.

For a first game l saw a lot to like.
    I think one other thing to factor is that Goldstein thrives on rucking 90% of the game and against us he had to split his time with Xerri. Sweet is certainly benefiting from his 2nd preseason with us but I suspect in a proper game Goldy would have worked himj over and tuned him up.

Sweets performance though shows that a lot can happen in 12 months and he has improved substantially.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Sweets performance though shows that a lot can happen in 12 months and he has improved substantially.
    Agree, and for a rookie listed work in progress you can;t really ask of much more. He clearly has a lot to work on but he's probably ahead of where most of us expected him to be in his development.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, and for a rookie listed work in progress you can;t really ask of much more. He clearly has a lot to work on but he's probably ahead of where most of us expected him to be in his development.
    If he continues to improve his days as a rookie will be numbered.
    Needs to improve his tank and agility but good signs so far
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He's at least one year ahead of where I thought he'd be. I may have had very low expectations but I thought I'd see a guy who was at best breaking even in the ruck and struggling to do much else.