Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  107
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Marsh Cup 2020 - Bulldogs vs North

I haven't seen or read much on next Fridays game against North but while some here don't rate the pre-season games I'm all over it.

What are you looking forward to seeing the most?

Ideally for me it would be a mix of some of the younger players strutting their stuff and some of the more fringe based players getting a chance to impress

Players like Rhylee West, Bailey Smith, Lachie Young and Laitham Vandermeer from last year, fringe players like Ben Cavarra getting a chance to impress and to see if Fergus Greene can recover some form and spark.
    Cody Weightman and Louis Butler should also be in the mix and I wonder where Bailey Williams fits in?

I'll also be interested to see if Bevo is going to trial some players in other positions and just how or 3 tall forwards will line-up. Most importantly we will probably get a glimpse of how prepared our players are in taking the game on.

Have you broken out of your summer slumber and are looking forward to the game or is the cue still in the rack until round one of the Home and Away season?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marsh Cup 2020 - Bulldogs vs North

Weightman. I want to see if Weightman may fit in and make a difference this year.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

As long as there are no injuries, I’m not fussed.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

5. Likes ledge, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be expecting a really hit and miss performance and a bit like Andrew just want to get through the game healthy in the main.

You raise an interesting player in Greene. If he had have stayed healthy and playing well last year I wonder what would have become of Bailey Dale? Hopefully he doesn't take too long to get into things again, because having both he and Dale fit and fighting it out for one spot is going to be good for us broadly speaking.

Our opposition will come out and give it a really big run I think, they have a new coach and players will be wanting to prove things to him.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I am one that doesn't rate preseason games as it is there to practise our game plan and trial somethings for the main season. I am not fussed about the result either, but would be good to see some younger players ie those that haven't played many games, trying to make a case for a spot in the 22.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Excited to see what physical nick we’re in and to get our first look at Weightman & co, but the actual result in the first game is pretty meaningless.

Unless we win by 10 goals, then the kid is off
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

To me its all about watching the new blood and hoping everyone gets through with a clean bill of health.
    The itch for footy is well on the way by the time these games start and it just gets bigger seeing how the players present in the games.

From a membership point if we go well and look good it may create some numbers to get on board early.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

We will go in close to full strength for both games won’t we? Not much time to blood players when you only have two games.

Post Thanks / Like

Will be interested to see if we play two games at full strength, or the first game testing players and the second game a rehearsal for round 1.

Regardless - I’d love to see Ben Cavarra get a crack, so I’m hoping we play some more fringe players and get a look at them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    We will go in close to full strength for both games won’t we? Not much time to blood players when you only have two games.
    I think there will be a balance, particularly with a slightly bigger bench. Keath is probably an unlikely starter and with Wood, Liberatore, Duryea out there might be a few additional spots open.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Will be interested to see if we play two games at full strength, or the first game testing players and the second game a rehearsal for round 1.

Regardless - I’d love to see Ben Cavarra get a crack, so I’m hoping we play some more fringe players and get a look at them.
    I'd like to see Rhylee West, Lachie Young, Bailey Williams, Ben Cavarra and Cody Weightman given an early chance

Post Thanks / Like

Cavarra, Weightman, Greene, Gowers...
    I like to see preseason games to sharpen my intuition about up and coming players and see the likes of Cody. Always enjoy a win too but if not, well worth it for the above.
    Go the fringedwellers.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it’s bruise free quick football and our forwards get plenty of shots at goal and don’t miss easy ones !
    I always find it hard with new jumper numbers and the new players gait to recognise them so it’s my get to know players by their body type warm up.
    By round 1 I recognise and know their numbers.
    Result doesn’t matter as long as we don’t get smashed.
    I’m also interested in Bailey Smith because of what he achieved last year with limited pre season.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Not as fussed about the pre season games but like a few woofers have said will be good to see some of those players who haven't got much opportunity at senior level to get a chance to show some things.

Hoping we come out of both games with no injuries and a clean bill of health.

Good to have the footy back but I'll be watching this one on TV and will be in attendance to the footy again for Round 1 March 20, 2020
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I hope it’s bruise free quick football.
    Funny. I was thinking I hope we take the chance to unveil a new aggressive, hard at the footy attitude. The last thing I want us doing is running around playing basketball with each team laying < 20 tackles per half...I just don’t think that is a good recipe for this group.

Would love to see VanderMeer and both Young’s play. Interested to see the role of Wood and forward structure with Bruce high or deep?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.