Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  107
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marsh Cup 2020 - Bulldogs vs North

Apparently in his press conference, Bevo had a go at the recruiters whinging about Jamarra.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Apparently in his press conference, Bevo had a go at the recruiters whinging about Jamarra.
    Bring it on... we need a chip on our shoulder this year and us against everyone else could be one of a few good narratives for us over the course of the season.

3. Likes S Coast Simon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Really pleasing performance, allowing for a gap in talent between the squads and very little heat in the game. Norf typically played the man though, so it did take some commitment to go and get the ball. Highlights for me:

1. Swift, direct ball movement. The handball club, intercept, knock it on type of play was really prominent. It wasn't quite Men of Mayhem, but a Men of Method.

2. Centre clearances. Really strong work with the ball off the ruck contest. Post flag, we've conceded this part of the game too easily but last night I saw some real system and clean, decisive wins out of the guts.

3. Bailey Smith's bullocking, powerful running. He's something special. Mitch Hahn with truckloads of talent. Cooney with a better work rate. I'm sure there's a matrix like that we could plot him on.

4. Shache. He's my boy, 30+ goals from him this year is not unreasonable. Terrific nose for goal and forward craft. He'll shine in a forward line that spreads the attention like we expect to happen with Bruce and Naughton, Lewis did the job tonight too.

5. Back six. Or the system. Looks like it's got the right cogs moving and the introduction of a senior player in Keath will really serve us well. Cordy can probably afford to have another crack at being a lockdown, toiling, spoiling, tackling, scrapping mean old son of a gun without being too exposed like he was at time last year. Crozier, Caleb and JJ offer adequate run with bonus aerial support.

Liked what I saw. Stark contrast to recent preseasons where it was obvious things weren't quite right from the get go. This is a squad that is fit, understands what they're trying to do and has a fairly solid belief. Competition for spots will be strong. The flag will wag.

5. Thanks macca, S Coast Simon, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Go_Dogs, GVGjr, bornadog, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pretty significant first hit out for Bont as captain. Is it possible the increased responsibility elevates his game to a higher level? His body certainly looks leaner and fitter than ever before, and it's clear he has put in a mountain of work over the pre-season to get himself in his best shape.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Crozier is better than Bruce Duperouzel as a pick up from another club. He is all heart and commitment. The game was not worthy of Bontempelli who was above the game. We confirmed the quality of game we played late last season as our standard. Keath at home as general of backline with Crozier as lieutenant.
    Promising warmup.
    I have no idea about Duperouzel but I love Crozier. My fave part is I get to turn to my Freo supporting Missus 10 times every game "Hey Babe"...pause for impact..."Thanks for Crozier".

I've almost forgiven him for that mark he took against me in the u18's at Subiaco Oval. ALMOST.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

With Moz gone, there is a defender shaped hole in my heart that Crozier is helping to fill. One of our best trades in a loooong time.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Those who watched do you think Sweet can be relied going to help out English if injured or rested.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Those who watched do you think Sweet can be relied going to help out English if injured or rested.
    No. I think he is still very much a work in progress, but he did some nice things though. A 35m pass lace out to a leading Le Young was a thing of beauty. I think Trengove should be #2 if/when Tim is out.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Permit me to plonk the cart well and truly before the horse and predict Crozier has a Norm Smith in his future.

Smart, fearless, creative and rapidly become our most dynamic, if not most influential backman. Just makes good things happen.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Croz has turned himself into one of the first picked. Took him some time to find his feet but he has elevated himself into an exceptional player.

Post Thanks / Like

He'll be fine for a few weeks.

We have Trengove as well.

Let's face it - it isn't as if English is out there dominating anyway...Sweet was competitive and wasn't a complete 'loss' in terms of contributing to our attacking + defensive mechanisms.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

15. Likes dog town liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion he is another 12 months away from someone potentially being regarded as a reliable 1st string ruckman.
    It's one of the reason why I think we missed an opportunity to recruit a versatile tall who could help out in the ruck for a few games if needed. That falls onto Trengove this year but we don't have a lot of coverage.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Pleased to see that North have stuck to their brand by playing as many faux tough man snipers as the rest of the league combined.

Williams, Anderson and now Bonar are embarrassing, and they still have their walking negligence tort captain to come back.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Pretty significant first hit out for Bont as captain. Is it possible the increased responsibility elevates his game to a higher level? His body certainly looks leaner and fitter than ever before, and it's clear he has put in a mountain of work over the pre-season to get himself in his best shape.
    I think its also since last year, Bevo is finally leaving him in the midfield for the majority. This has enhanced his game more than anything and the fact the Macrae and Dunkley are left in there, the chemistry is starting to show.

So fortunate to have a player like him

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get to see much of the game really interested in how Cordy went along side Keithy George?