Thanks Thanks:  21
Likes Likes:  107
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marsh Cup 2020 - Bulldogs vs North

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I would have thought Lewis and Lachlan Young could have been handy additions
    Look, I get that it's just preseason... But surely these guys are far ahead of Roarke?

I'll never understand Bevo and his fascination with Roarke. It's quite bizarre...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Look, I get that it's just preseason... But surely these guys are far ahead of Roarke?

I'll never understand Bevo and his fascination with Roarke. It's quite bizarre...
    and Gardner?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

and Gardner?
    Match committee in mid season form.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps Gardner and Smith have been really good over the preseason and are getting reward for effort? Often happens in the first praccy of the year.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if its going to be a long year for Trengove?
    I suspect so. He's certainly not getting a game ahead of English as a ruck and now he's behind Sweet.

As a KPD he's a stopper so he won't take Keath's spot, we favoured a raw Young in the final, and during the year Cordy was ahead of him as a stopper going by the MC selections. It's a shame as he really does well against the monsters (Hawkins, T Lynch).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Really struggling to see how Lewis Young doesn't get as many games pumped into him as possible.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post

Surely with Smith & Gardner in, and Bruce, The Young's out we are not starting the pre-season in top gear.
    I was hoping we'd be very aggressive right from the get go. We've been really lacklustre in recent preseasons and I just don't think it sets the right tone both on field or off field.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Perhaps Gardner and Smith have been really good over the preseason and are getting reward for effort? Often happens in the first praccy of the year.
    Gardener might also be the back-up ruck option and a candidate for back and forward lines as well. If he improves he has the versatility that Bevo appreciates.
    Roarke Smith is a decent player and my guess is that he would also excellent with his training and preparation which should be rewarded. The cautious part in my wonders if that can transition to some better football. Tonight is a great opportunity for him to put his name into the mix to be a part of a deep and strong midfield. Good luck to him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I’m sure he’s a lovely young man but Gardner would have needed to improve a lot to be terrible. I’m thinking this is just us splitting the entire list (or at least those physically ready) across the two games.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Match committee in mid season form.
    This is pretty normal early season form for the MC.. Remember it took until about round 7 to play Dunkley as a midfielder last year as well as playing no tall defender until about that time too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I’m sure he’s a lovely young man but Gardner would have needed to improve a lot to be terrible. I’m thinking this is just us splitting the entire list (or at least those physically ready) across the two games.
    Yep, give them all a go. In the past the first practise match has been full of players who are on the fringe, and the last match a dress rehearsal for the season proper.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    This is pretty normal early season form for the MC.. Remember it took until about round 7 to play Dunkley as a midfielder last year as well as playing no tall defender until about that time too.
    Please stop reminding me of that stressful period. I had nearly come to terms with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I suspect so. He's certainly not getting a game ahead of English as a ruck and now he's behind Sweet.

As a KPD he's a stopper so he won't take Keath's spot, we favoured a raw Young in the final, and during the year Cordy was ahead of him as a stopper going by the MC selections. It's a shame as he really does well against the monsters (Hawkins, T Lynch).
    As a break glass in case of emergency option, he's very solid. He of course won't be happy about it.

I agree it's a shame, I think we've played some good football as a side with him contributing both down back and in the ruck, and is a physical, competitive presence that we've lacked at important stages.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Trengove's basically our new Fletcher Roberts now, ie: break glass in case of key defender emergency. That's a net upgrade though.

Hoping this is Roarke's little taste to keep him hungry. I'll be less than thrilled if others can't nudge him out of a regular role though.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Roarke and Gardner in before Lewis Young and Trengove, MC must be joking, hopefully just experimental and doesn't become a habit. Good to see Sweet in, big opportunity for him.