Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Current day superstars

It's an expression often used to refer to very good players as superstars but I wonder which players currently on playing lists are genuine superstars of the game?

Nick Dal Santo recently said there are 5 players that are genuine superstars
    Nat Fyffe, Lance Franklin, Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Ablett Jnr and Dusty Martin are the names he offered up.
    I don't think anyone could really argue against those players.

Is that light on or around the mark? Are there any glaring omissions?
    Please provide some reasons if you want to nominate some other players
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Current day superstars

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's an expression often used to refer to very good players as superstars but I wonder which players currently on playing lists are genuine superstars of the game?

Nick Dal Santo recently said there are 5 players that are genuine superstars
    Nat Fyffe, Lance Franklin, Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Ablett Jnr and Dusty Martin are the names he offered up.
    I don't think anyone could really argue against those players.

Is that light on or around the mark? Are there any glaring omissions?
    Please provide some reasons if you want to nominate some other players
    I'd argue Franklyn no longer deserves to be on the list. He's barely played a game in 3 years-we may as well have Adam Goodes because he's played as much good footy in the last 3 years as Franklyn has. Fyffe limps through games, Dangerfield's best footy is in the rear view mirror and GAJ? You know my opinion-If his name was Gary Smith and not Ablett we wouldn't make half the fuss we make about him-and that fuss was back when? He has NO business being on a list of current day superstars.

My current day list would start with Martin and pretty much end right there.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

The Bont has to be up there, he is a match winner and hard to stop in the midfield because of his size. Gary Jnr was a superstar, but he is cooked.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'd argue Franklyn no longer deserves to be on the list. He's barely played a game in 3 years-we may as well have Adam Goodes because he's played as much good footy in the last 3 years as Franklyn has. Fyffe limps through games, Dangerfield's best footy is in the rear view mirror and GAJ? You know my opinion-If his name was Gary Smith and not Ablett we wouldn't make half the fuss we make about him-and that fuss was back when? He has NO business being on a list of current day superstars.

My current day list would start with Martin and pretty much end right there.
    You might have missed the intention of the thread.
    Current day players (ie still playing) who have been regarded as superstars or should be in the list Dal Santo nominated and it doesn't mean they are at their prime now

Post Thanks / Like

Based on the criteria used I think all 5 are correct and I don't see any glaring omissions. I think there's a decent gap to the next level to warrant the term, including Bont, Cripps, Gawn and a small number of others. Were Bont to win a Brownlow, he could cross that gap.

Post Thanks / Like

Should Jack Riewoldt be in the mix as being regarded as a superstar? His stats are impressive

Post Thanks / Like

Should Jack Riewoldt be in the mix as being regarded as a superstar? His stats are impressive
    Good call. I actually looked at his stats mid last year compared to Nick Riewoldt. I’d say Jack’s career will end up better than Nicks.
    I don’t think anyone would’ve entertained that when Nick retired.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

8. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If it’s based on their peak, I don’t think anyone can argue with that list - I’d also add Pendlebury.

It’s tough to work out the yard stick, it looks like players that can turn a game on their own boot and have done it over an extended period.

In that ilk, agree w comments that the next wave of Bont, Cripps, Grundy etc. all have the former, but not the tenure under their belt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    If it’s based on their peak, I don’t think anyone can argue with that list - I’d also add Pendlebury.

It’s tough to work out the yard stick, it looks like players that can turn a game on their own boot and have done it over an extended period.

In that ilk, agree w comments that the next wave of Bont, Cripps, Grundy etc. all have the former, but not the tenure under their belt.
    I tend to agree that Pendlebury should be in the mix, he's been impressive for a long period of time and he might have been one of the reasons we see vastly bigger midfielders in the competition.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree that Pendlebury should be in the mix, he's been impressive for a long period of time and he might have been one of the reasons we see vastly bigger midfielders in the competition.
    According to Plough he is the best player to have ever played with Collingwood. A huge statement.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    According to Plough he is the best player to have ever played with Collingwood. A huge statement.
    Did he say that he has seen ?
    Because that wouldn’t surprise me at all, he is the Bont of the past , he is smooth, everyone slows down and he just walks around players like they are still.
    As for highlights not a lot but his football nous, vision and delivery would be up with the superstars.
    He was the barometer of Collingwood for a long time and could pull them over the line in 5 minutes of footy.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Did he say that he has seen ?
    Because that wouldn’t surprise me at all, he is the Bont of the past , he is smooth, everyone slows down and he just walks around players like they are still.
    As for highlights not a lot but his football nous, vision and delivery would be up with the superstars.
    He was the barometer of Collingwood for a long time and could pull them over the line in 5 minutes of footy.

Don't think so.He was going through all teams. Had EJ for us.

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...c06efae5881213

Post Thanks / Like

No he hasn't seen them all. ...Dick Reynolds I don't think so.

Post Thanks / Like

He would have seen EJ in his last few years.
    Bring back the biff