Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Current day superstars

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    You might have missed the intention of the thread.
    Current day players (ie still playing) who have been regarded as superstars or should be in the list Dal Santo nominated and it doesn't mean they are at their prime now
    Oh OK. You're right I missed the point

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    According to Plough he is the best player to have ever played with Collingwood. A huge statement.
    Wouldn't be in the top ten of Collingwood players over history I reckon. The Colliers and the Coventrys would have him in 5th place for a start then there is Bob Rose who a lot of old timers say is the best they have seen.

Probably just makes the top five Collingwood players I have seen play myself. Peter McKenna, Peter Moore, Nathan Buckley, Tony Shaw and Pendlebury.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Oh OK. You're right I missed the point

Wouldn't be in the top ten of Collingwood players over history I reckon. The Colliers and the Coventrys would have him in 5th place for a start then there is Bob Rose who a lot of old timers say is the best they have seen.

Probably just makes the top five Collingwood players I have seen play myself. Peter McKenna, Peter Moore, Nathan Buckley, Tony Shaw and Pendlebury.
    Peter Daicos wasn't a slouch either.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter Daicos wasn't a slouch either.
    Oh yeah. Just about my favorite player to watch from another club. Some of the goals he kicked were amazing.

Darren Millane could play a bit too. Len Thompson and Max and Wayne Richardson could all play. No-one beat Des Tuddenham while he stayed upright

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Oh yeah. Just about my favorite player to watch from another club. Some of the goals he kicked were amazing.

Darren Millane could play a bit too. Len Thompson and Max and Wayne Richardson could all play. No-one beat Des Tuddenham while he stayed upright
    I remember when Tuddy coached the Bummers. Once at training he made all the players crawl around the ground on their hands and knees! Hard bastard too.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember when Tuddy coached the Bummers. Once at training he made all the players crawl around the ground on their hands and knees! Hard bastard too.
    That's what I meant about not beating him while he was upright. Just about the most competitive player I have seen.

Post Thanks / Like

I've being giving this subject a bit more thought, should handing out the superstar label to a player only happen if you have been regarded as the best player or two in the competition? If that stands up does it rule out Jack Riewoldt and maybe Scott Pendelbury?
    They've had outstanding careers but were they ever regarded that highly?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm onboard with this logic GVGjr - in terms of them being considered the best player in the competition at some stage (for at least a couple of years).

I wouldn't be adding any current names to Dal Santo's list at this stage.

Bontempelli is probably the one most capable of joining those names.
    Cripps is right up there too - but perhaps doesn't have the hurt factor.
    Brodie Grundy could be heading in the direction of superstar
    Josh Kennedy has won a few Coleman's and is a star but never dominated finals and MCG games enough for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've being giving this subject a bit more thought, should handing out the superstar label to a player only happen if you have been regarded as the best player or two in the competition? If that stands up does it rule out Jack Riewoldt and maybe Scott Pendelbury?
    They've had outstanding careers but were they ever regarded that highly?

Is superstar the same thing as champion?

I think that the title we hand out far too often is champion-"he's a champion" "no he's not, he hasn't been playing at the top level for long enough" The title of champion should be earned and it should be reserved for only a very few.