Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  31
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rivals fume

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rivals fume

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Anyone else concerned that AFL will try to save face and find a loop hole to re-zone Jamarra now that he’s boarding in Melbourne and playing for Chargers?

The fact that this is getting airtime in the AFL’s de facto newsletter is a little disconcerting.
    I don't think so. I was afraid last year, but I can't see post-review they could then change their minds at this late stage. Having said that I expect they will modify rules going forward.
    I love that for once we are the beneficiaries of some luck with rules.
    I mean Geelong got gifted father sons at 3rd round prices, Hawkins, Ablett, Scarlett before the rules were changed. Meanwhile we had to use pick 11 on Ayce Cordy.

I have no doubt we are the fortunate beneficiaries of an ill thought out zoning rule, and it will be changed.
    I hope it is, after JUH is wearing Red, White & Blue!

I recently observed my soon to be 7 yr old, in the backyard with his footy commentating on his game..." And Jamarra-Ugle Hagan takes a other speccie!'..he's already aboard the hype train after watching him in the Under 18's last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else concerned that AFL will try to save face and find a loop hole to re-zone Jamarra now that he’s boarding in Melbourne and playing for Chargers?

The fact that this is getting airtime in the AFL’s de facto newsletter is a little disconcerting.
    Not really.

I looked into Isaac Quaynor to see if he relocated to play for Oakleigh in a similar manner, but turns out he lived in Doncaster his whole life and played juniors at Beverly Hills. Good thing the Academies didn’t let him get away though.

The fact is pretty much all of the players recruited through the system are done through tenuous means and do nothing to meet the stated aims of the system. Buku is the only one I can think of who has been afforded an opportunity he wouldn’t have otherwise gotten due to the academies.

If they can justify Nick Blakey going to Sydney then this is way above board.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, it's click bait. You were dead right above, it's almost identical to a story they ran last year. JUH hasn't played a game since that time. The AFEL made no changes then and now with our list management already in place I don't think they can change things and I think the AFEL have agreed with this argument. Their window to rig the system against us hs expired. The pissed off club was apparently GWS, who haven't plundered zones and academies...

If he turns it on this year, there's going to be 100 similar stories. I'm completely confident the noise will sell newspapers and drive up Internet traffic. I'm also completely confidant he's a Bulldogs player next year.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Nah, it's click bait. You were dead right above, it's almost identical to a story they ran last year. JUH hasn't played a game since that time. The AFEL made no changes then and now with our list management already in place I don't think they can change things and I think the AFEL have agreed with this argument. Their window to rig the system against us hs expired. The pissed off club was apparently GWS, who haven't plundered zones and academies...

If he turns it on this year, there's going to be 100 similar stories. I'm completely confident the noise will sell newspapers and drive up Internet traffic. I'm also completely confidant he's a Bulldogs player next year.

I would have preferred you said "I am sure they can't change things" BT.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the AFL would have needed to flag this last year before the trade period,
    Cautious about a change but very confident we have it in hand
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think the AFL would have needed to flag this last year before the trade period,
    Cautious about a change but very confident we have it in hand
    You'd think so, and I honestly believe any changes to points/discounts etc won't be made until next year's draft as they have already publicly declared...but if JUH dominates and proves himself the clear #1 pick this year, I can see a scenario where the AFL considers bowing to pressure to find a loop hole to void his eligibility/zoning which is different from making changes to the points system.

It would be a disgrace and I would hope we fight it with every fibre of PG's legal might, but I wouldn't put it past the AFL to at least seriously consider it.
    Last edited by comrade; 20-02-2020 at 12:38 PM.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

And long may they fume while he's routinely sitting on the heads of their best defenders.

Imagine the oceans of tears if we manage to go alright this season then crown it with plucking Marra at a discount.

Get your lifeboats ready.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post

Get your lifeboats ready.
    Until he's smiling in a Bulldogs jumper on draft night, I'll have mine ready too.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I will believe he's ours when I see him wearing the tricolor on draft night.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

You'd think so, and I honestly believe any changes to points/discounts etc won't be made until next year's draft as they have already publicly declared...but if JUH dominates and proves himself the clear #1 pick this year, I can see a scenario where the AFL considers bowing to pressure to find a loop hole to void his eligibility/zoning which is different from making changes to the points system.

It would be a disgrace and I would hope we fight it with every fibre of PG's legal might, but I wouldn't put it past the AFL to at least seriously consider it.
    They would need to have a pretty big sweetener in it for us in order to avoid a legal battle.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to think I'm pessimistic as the next person, especially with the AFEL. I'm not sure why there's concern. The NGA review report ink isn't even dry yet where despite GWS referencing JUH in their sooking, the AFEL made no changes. They ticked off on JUH training at the club over summer. They were in meetings with Ch7 & the AFEL which got us a bunch of Prime Time games (& the associated commercial returns). They still support Ballarat. They gave us Good Friday this year. Before all that Peter Gordon successfully defended Gil in a lawsuit. I'm no fan or apologist for the AFEL, but it's ok.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I like to think I'm pessimistic as the next person, especially with the AFEL. I'm not sure why there's concern. The NGA review report ink isn't even dry yet where despite GWS referencing JUH in their sooking, the AFEL made no changes. They ticked off on JUH training at the club over summer. They were in meetings with Ch7 & the AFEL which got us a bunch of Prime Time games (& the associated commercial returns). They still support Ballarat. They gave us Good Friday this year. Before all that Peter Gordon successfully defended Gil in a lawsuit. I'm no fan or apologist for the AFEL, but it's ok.
    The pessimist might counter that given they have supported us in those ways, they can justify balancing it out by reaming us on the NGA issue...

We are still somewhat expendable in the scheme of things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    I don't think so. I was afraid last year, but I can't see post-review they could then change their minds at this late stage. Having said that I expect they will modify rules going forward.
    I love that for once we are the beneficiaries of some luck with rules.
    I mean Geelong got gifted father sons at 3rd round prices, Hawkins, Ablett, Scarlett before the rules were changed. Meanwhile we had to use pick 11 on Ayce Cordy.

I have no doubt we are the fortunate beneficiaries of an ill thought out zoning rule, and it will be changed.
    I hope it is, after JUH is wearing Red, White & Blue!

I recently observed my soon to be 7 yr old, in the backyard with his footy commentating on his game..." And Jamarra-Ugle Hagan takes a other speccie!'..he's already aboard the hype train after watching him in the Under 18's last year.
    And we missed out on Ben and Sam Reid because the AFEL changed the Father-Son qualification from 50 to 100 games. Bruce played 95.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

15. Likes Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All I really worry about is whether he turns out to be as good once he is drafted and ready to play.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

17. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The pessimist might counter that given they have supported us in those ways, they can justify balancing it out by reaming us on the NGA issue...

We are still somewhat expendable in the scheme of things.
    They had a legit chance to burn us with their review, and they didn't. Not one single thing has changed since or because of the NGA review. They didn't even reduce the 20% discount or cap it harder. There's also a big stick of PG, Eddie & Kennett who all have top NGA prospects this year. It's easier for the AFEL to focus on other things and not pick a fight with 3 media savvy club presidents with a big megaphone across AM/FM radio and newspapers. I'm not losing sleep.