It’s a great problem to have, don’t get me wrong……. but I feel for our match committee.
How the hell do you fit all the talent on our list into a starting 22.

I’ve had a go at a starting 22 and the amount of talent lining up for a spot on the bench is ridiculous.

I’ve thought through this long and hard. And been re-watching last year’s games. Some players name themselves and some just squeeze in over others. But even if you shuffled say… Duryea in for Suckling…. Suckling still ends up on the list jockeying for a spot on the bench.

Anyway, here goes my attempt.

Backline. Suckling. Trengove. Wood.

Suckling edges out quite a few competitors with his experience, his creative play, that incredible kick, and his pace and lurking menace as a long range goal kicker.

Trengove edges out Lewis Young for fullback due to strength and experience. I believe we erred in not naming him for the GWS final. We could have used him out there. But this position could flip to Lewis Young based on form. or opposition match ups. Trengove for the gorillas for example. Either way, it’s one of those two.

Wood. If fit and in form Wood is still a great asset with his aerial skills, strength, experience and natural leadership. He still demands this spot in my opinion.

Half back line. Crozier. Keith. Johannisen.
(This one names itself really)

Crozier absolutely owned this position last year. I had no idea how good he was going to be when we traded him in. Seriously one of the most underrated players in the league

Keith & Johannisen just walk into these 2 positions don’t they? (apologies Bruce)

Centreline. Hunter. Dunkley. Smith.
(don’t think I need to explain these names)

Half forward line. Dickson. Bruce. Schache.

Dickson. Until proven otherwise is a walk up start for a spot in the forward line. If father time catches up with him that’s a different story. But for now. He’s in. Bailey Dale is next in line for this spot. You could flip it either way

Bruce. No brainer. that’s what he’s here for.

Schache. Well, I’m going along with the ‘3 talls’ narrative until it doesn’t work. Also……. I want to keep playing Schache for his own confidence and development. AND he is a reliable goal kicker and can be used in other roles…….. ruck, for example, if needed at a pinch

Full forward line. Lloyd. Naughton. McLean.

Lloyd is a walk up start. Naughton is a walk up start.

Mclean. I threw a few names around but ended up going with Toby. He’s good overhead. Good on the lead. Good in the packs. A good tackler and has genuine X factor. Good field kick and good set shot. I also think he’s due for a bust out season. AND he can rotate through the guts. Plenty of other names could go in here but I’ve settled on Mclean.

Followers.

English. Bontempelli. Macrae. Duh……..no arguments here.

Now……..who gets a spot on the bench out of these 15 legitimate contenders? All whom have shown the capacity to perform at the top level.

Lewis Young. Mitch Wallis. Zaine Cordy. Taylor Duryea. Ed Richards. Tom Liberatore. Patrick Lipinski. Billy Gowers. Bailey Dale. Will Hayes. Bailey Williams. Caleb Daniel. Lachie Young. Lin Jong. Roarke Smith

I’ll go with. Lipinski. Daniel. Liberatore. Cordy (Cordy for flexibility).

This leaves out Bailey Dale, Taylor Duryea, Ed Richards, Mitch Wallis and Bailey Williams. 5 players I would love to put in. Maybe Dale comes in for Cordy?

Then there’s the next wave fighting for a spot.

Rhylee West. Cody Weightman. Brad Lynch. Fergus Greene.
There is some speculation Weightman is already pushing for a spot. Rhylee West has already shown he’s capable at senior level…..as has Lynch. I love Lynch and I reckon he’d be getting a game at most AFL clubs. Greene looked promising and certainly not lost at the top level.

It’s mind boggling. Even if you shuffle a few names around……. there’s so much talent spilling out over the sides it’s ridiculous.

Of course injuries will come into it......... but good luck naming a starting 22