Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  5
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    26,639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Naughton requires knee surgery

    Naughton requires knee surgery



    The Western Bulldogs won't rush in trying to get Aaron Naughton ready for round one after the exciting forward was booked for surgery on his right knee to clean up loose cartilage.

    The operation, on the opposite knee to the one Naughton injured in last year's elimination final against Greater Western Sydney, will occur on Saturday. The Bulldogs will be in a better position to assess how long he will be sidelined once surgery is completed.

    It is a blow for the Bulldogs on the eve of the season, with the 20-year-old set to play a key role up forward after an impressive start to his career in the past two seasons. Coach Luke Beveridge remains hopeful he could play in the round one blockbuster against Collingwood.

    "We won't push him to be ready for round one," Beveridge said.

    "If he has the arthroscope and he comes up cherry ripe in two weeks then we'll probably pick him, but there is any doubt and he has got a bit of swelling and it is going to take a couple of more weeks then we will be conservative."

    Naughton dodged a bullet when he went down with what looked like a serious knee injury against the Giants last September but he was relieved to be diagnosed with a lateral ligament injury rather than a season-ending anterior crucial ligament injury.

    He took part in match practice last Wednesday and was set to play against North Melbourne at Marvel Stadium on Friday night but felt clicking in his knee when he returned home on Thursday.

    Naughton has played 41 games with the Bulldogs and kicked 32 goals in 2019 as a key forward earning a reputation as a brilliant mark.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do

  2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    10,803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naughton requires knee surgery

    Minor surgery , not surprising you do a little damage to the opposite knee as you have tended to put more weight and usage on it while the other knee mends.
    Good to do it now.
    Bring back the biff

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naughton requires knee surgery

    The bigger issue is that knee cartilage can become a longer term degenerative condition that might limit his ability in the same way it did with Cooney years ago, although Conney's injury also included a cracked patella.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naughton requires knee surgery

    Terrible news for the big boy but hopefully he makes a speedy recovery. Astro has experienced some highs and lows in the last 12 months.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    41,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naughton requires knee surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Terrible news for the big boy but hopefully he makes a speedy recovery. Astro has experienced some highs and lows in the last 12 months.
    Any news on how long he may be out for?
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,155
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naughton requires knee surgery

    He's going under the knife today. Once in there they'll be able to assess what the damage is and then we'll have a much better idea about how long he might be out for.

  8. Thanks bornadog, Eastdog thanked for this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Lombok, Indonesia
    Posts
    1,841
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naughton requires knee surgery

    Great pity. I hope it can be mended well and permanently.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    EJ Whitten Stand
    Posts
    13,931
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naughton requires knee surgery

    A setback but best not to rush him back until he is fully 100% ready to go.
    AFL PREMIERS 2016

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    26,639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naughton requires knee surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    A setback but best not to rush him back until he is fully 100% ready to go.
    Yep, they will be in no hurry to rush him. We have traditionally been a cautious club with managing player injuries and I'd imagine we will double that approach with Naughton
    Tough times don't last, tough people do

  12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
  13. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    57
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naughton requires knee surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    The bigger issue is that knee cartilage can become a longer term degenerative condition that might limit his ability in the same way it did with Cooney years ago, although Conney's injury also included a cracked patella.
    I can’t remember where I heard it, maybe a podcast in which Cooney was interviewed, But he stated that the cartilage under his patella had been torn. That is considerably worse than your regular meniscus tear as it is the articulating cartilage that wears away creating friction with any movement of the knee. I would argue most players retire with torn meniscus, some symptomatic and some asymptomatic. With todays rehab and physio programs I wouldnt worry too much unless it accompanied an acl x 2 or if he had repeated issues reported in the media.

  14. Thanks Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, divvydan, Eastdog thanked for this post
  15. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    sydenham
    Posts
    10,803
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naughton requires knee surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Funke disco View Post
    I can’t remember where I heard it, maybe a podcast in which Cooney was interviewed, But he stated that the cartilage under his patella had been torn. That is considerably worse than your regular meniscus tear as it is the articulating cartilage that wears away creating friction with any movement of the knee. I would argue most players retire with torn meniscus, some symptomatic and some asymptomatic. With todays rehab and physio programs I wouldnt worry too much unless it accompanied an acl x 2 or if he had repeated issues reported in the media.
    Poor Cooney sufffered his at 22 and he will tell you how he struggled from then on, the guy would have been a superstar if that didn’t happen.
    Bring back the biff

  16. Likes Funke disco liked this post
  17. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naughton requires knee surgery

    Club reporting that surgery was a success and Naughton is going to be ready for round 1
    Ted Whitten "Winners are grinners and losers can please themselves"

  18. Likes ledge, Eastdog, Bulldog4life liked this post
  19. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    26,639
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Naughton requires knee surgery

    Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    Club reporting that surgery was a success and Naughton is going to be ready for round 1
    Yes, it was reported earlier on here, Great news for both Naughton and the club

    Naughton
    Tough times don't last, tough people do

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •