Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet rises to the challenge

Rookie ruckman Jordon Sweet stood and watched as skipper Marcus Bontempelli swooped on a ground ball – one handed – before flicking off a look-away handball to set up a shot on goal.

He’d set the play in motion with a hit-out in the centre square to Josh Dunkley.
    But he couldn’t move – he’d cramped up.

“That one in the fourth quarter, we got a clean clearance to Dunks and he got it to the forward 50 which was nice,” Sweet said.

“You see Bontempelli straight after that pick it up with a one-handed scoop.

“I was sitting there watching it. I probably should have snapped my fingers and started running, but I couldn’t, because I was cramping.”

Jordon Sweet spoke to Bulldogs Media after the Bulldogs Marsh Series win over North Melbourne

Having spent last year at VFL level developing his craft, the 22-year-old didn’t look out of place in his first match at the level.

He had to contend with an All Australian ruckman in Todd Goldstein, and said a pre-season competing with Tim English had helped him improve his game.

“It was a bit daunting, talking to a few mates, going against an All Australian ruckman,” Sweet said.

“I thought I did an alright job, and I’m pretty happy with how I went.

“Going against Tim (at training), he loves to run a lot and get around the ground.

“I’ve been chasing him around all pre-season and I feel as if that’s made me a better player.”
    Senior coach Luke Beveridge acknowledged Sweet had come a long way in his time as a Bulldog and will have learned plenty from the opportunity.

“He would have learned a hell of a lot,” Beveridge said.

“The game was pretty taxing and he was pretty fatigued at the end, but he’s come a long way in a year and it’s exciting for us that he was able to do that.
    “I thought he competed pretty well and as you would have seen, his ball handling and his skills and game sense is pretty good. He’s actually a pretty good player as well as a ruckman.

“He’s still developing in some areas, but for him to get the call up and be solid is a good fillip for us.”

link
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sweet rises to the challenge

I was very happy with Sweetie' game. Thought he showed good awareness and was quick with his hands too. He is a nice kick for a big guy too. Definitely has improved a lot since he has started with us. If he continues to develop the club will be in good position.

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For a first game in AFL although only a practice match he actually played really really well, the scribes are mentioning Lewis Young but Sweet went the whole game against one of the best.
    He has a good all round game, English and him are good pair.
    Bring back the biff

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's a bit more advanced than I expected, especially his kicking. Obviously he got more of a chop out than English would have needed but he's a work in progress. Decent back up as he builds his tank
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great kick for a big bloke
    Thought he got better as the game went on
    Big upside

10. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's a genuine smash and grab ruckman. He should blend really well with English's skills. We can now outgun the opposition and smash rucktaps clear of the pack with Sweet or we can take the ball away from them by foot with English.

Sweet has a touch of animal about him too. I wouldn't want to get between him and the ball.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Did very well last Friday.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He's a genuine smash and grab ruckman. He should blend really well with English's skills. We can now outgun the opposition and smash rucktaps clear of the pack with Sweet or we can take the ball away from them by foot with English.

Sweet has a touch of animal about him too. I wouldn't want to get between him and the ball.
    Where do you put him when he is resting?

Really liked what I saw on Friday, just can’t decide where he’s go when not in the ruck....

Post Thanks / Like

Minno Mk2
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AshMac View Post
    Where do you put him when he is resting?

Really liked what I saw on Friday, just can’t decide where he’s go when not in the ruck....
    Forward or the bench. He thinks and reacts pretty quickly for such a big guy
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite