Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  356
Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus: could the 2020 AFL season be called off?

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    C7 reporting that R1 will go ahead in front of empty stadiums
    Weak as piss AFL. Players and officials don't interact with anyone outside the club? Postpone the dam thing and stop letting Channel 7 dictate with their wallets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Weak as piss AFL. Players and officials don't interact with anyone outside the club? Postpone the dam thing and stop letting Channel 7 dictate with their wallets.
    Why? Should I stop going to work? Should I keep my kids home from school and daycare? Until the medical chiefs advise otherwise I hope we continue to keep some level of normalcy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    That's where the true lunacy lies. The players will still be contacting each other. Violently. They are competitive bastards-that's what we pay them the big bucks for because there are plenty of players with the same skill level running around at lower levels. These boys like to win and will do anything to achieve it and if that means risking maybe catching an abstract illness in the future then so be it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

C7 reporting that R1 will go ahead in front of empty stadiums
    If they also enforce a 1 metre rule between players it could solve the scoring dilemma.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

5. Likes azabob, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

At least the umpiring against Collingwood won't be swayed by crowd noise
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes DOG GOD, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The poor bastards we have stuck on them have enough problems without Dutton sneezing all over them.
    Remote with no one on there

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Why? Should I stop going to work? Should I keep my kids home from school and daycare? Until the medical chiefs advise otherwise I hope we continue to keep some level of normalcy.
    Schools? Yeah I'm worried about that. I honestly think our school holidays will start early or be extended. Normal day to day jobs? Precautions can be taken, it's not ideal but the world cannot stop.....yet. Playing a game of football? How can that be played without risk of infection?

Post Thanks / Like

Recommend reading very good, science based posts on big footy about covid on page 4 - posts #82 & #83 by x_box_x. Describes asymptotic nature of spread of virus and need to slow down infection numbers so health system has a hope of keeping up. Sober reading.

I predicted yesterday AFL would play round 1 at minimum to empty stadiums. Wise decision by AFL.

11. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd prefer they postpone it. Shit decision by the AFL but I'm betting this changes early next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'd prefer they postpone it. Shit decision by the AFL but I'm betting this changes early next week.
    Over their dead body will Ch 7 allow the season to be suspended for any length of time.

On the flip side, their over-crowded commentary booth might exceed the 500 person limit.
    Last edited by Sedat; 13-03-2020 at 11:55 PM.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

14. Likes G-Mo77, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here in the UK we are expecting the Govt to cave next week and close schools etc.

Mass gatherings still allowed so far though. The Cat Empire were great last night!

Post Thanks / Like

Tony Sheahan tweeted that a Melbourne based club doctor has tested positive for Coronavirus.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Club Statement:

To our loyal Bulldogs members and fans,

We would like to take this opportunity to update you on the Club’s approach in responding to the COVID-19 virus.

What we’re all dealing with is unprecedented and it will continue to change rapidly. So, we expect you’ll hear more than one update from us over the next few weeks and throughout the season.

We’re in constant contact with the AFL and continue to take advice from the State and Federal Governments, as well as the relevant medical authorities.

To best coordinate our response to the current circumstances, the Club has created an internal committee through which we are doing our own scenario planning, including dealing with the inevitable financial consequences.

Protecting the health and wellbeing of our players, staff, members and fans is our first priority. Part of that is also doing our best as a club and as individuals to contain and delay the spread of the virus as a community, to give our health services the best possible chance to deal with the sick and to better protect the more vulnerable members of our community.

The AFL has taken the wise decision to conduct Round 1 of the AFL men’s season and Round 6 of the AFLW competition with no supporters in attendance and to limit access to those players and officials who are essential to the game being staged.

This obviously includes our home game this Sunday at the VU Whitten Oval against Fremantle and our home game against Collingwood on Friday, March 20 at Marvel Stadium. We expect that these will be the first in a series of decisions we will have to deal with this season as a club and as a community.

In difficult times, footy brings hope and happiness to people and we know that that’s an important role we can play in 2020. We are determined to play that role.

For those who’ve already signed up as members for the 2020 season, or bought tickets to our matches, we’d like to take this chance to sincerely thank you for your commitment to the Western Bulldogs.

Whatever the outcome of the 2020 AFL season, your contribution to the Club will prove to be extremely critical as we brace for what will be a significant shortfall in revenue over the next few months caused by the effects of this virus.

Having budgeted last year for another healthy profit in 2020, we now accept the reality that this virus will also bite deep into our revenues and it will add to our expenses. We have built the financial strength to endure times like these. We are going to take the hit and do our best to protect the jobs of each and every one of the fine people who work for the Western Bulldogs.

In terms of our home here at VU Whitten Oval, the Club has already enforced an indefinite restriction on patrons entering the administration offices and football areas at VU Whitten Oval.

As of tonight, Barkers Café and the Bulldog Shop will also be closed to the public, however membership inquiries can be made by calling 1300 GO DOGS, and merchandise can be purchased online.

Once again, thanks for your ongoing support of the Bulldogs, stay safe and healthy, and we’ll be in touch with further updates as soon as we can.

In 2020, we are going to show the world what it means to be more Bulldog.

Peter Gordon and Ameet Bains

18. Thanks josie, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope supporters don't get pissed off and demand money back?

20. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’m sure there will be a few who are completely clueless and have no sense of perspective.
    Right decision made, and it’s going to be so odd