Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  356
Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus: could the 2020 AFL season be called off?

Sounds like there won't be any go dogs or any body else.
    Is it the anal retentives v the she'll be rights?
    The pessimismists v the optimists?
    I must be in the latter. I think this bug won't kill our healthy young athletes with professional precautions. Nor will it significantly impair the individual player or two that may get it. Al lot of this is fear and anxiety. Professional measures of isolation, hand washing, etc would allow the season to go ahead. IF a team suffers a case of covid 19 then they withdraw from competition and the fixture is rejigged.
    Survival of the fittest, last man standing are the perennial standards of contest, not anal retentive 'what ifs'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Ridiculous. Why should schools stay open when everything else is closing down. Because nurses will need to look after their kids at home? Find other arrangements I say. We've got 560 students at our school. High schools have over a 1000. Kids while low risk are the worst perpetrators of spreading viruses. I pulled my kids out of school last week. We've loaded up the camper trailer and are heading off tomorrow. F%$# this shi*& and go Dogs.
    We’ve got over 1100 (primary school)... I work with grade 1s, they don’t keep to themselves. We had around 250 away yesterday.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    We’ve got over 1100 (primary school)... I work with grade 1s, they don’t keep to themselves. We had around 250 away yesterday.
    You must be very concerned for yourself and your students.
    AFL with professional controls and no fans is a different proposition.

Post Thanks / Like

Ridiculous. Why should schools stay open when everything else is closing down. Because nurses will need to look after their kids at home? Find other arrangements I say. We've got 560 students at our school. High schools have over a 1000. Kids while low risk are the worst perpetrators of spreading viruses. I pulled my kids out of school last week. We've loaded up the camper trailer and are heading off tomorrow. F%$# this shi*& and go Dogs.
    Good luck mate!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    You must be very concerned for yourself and your students.
    AFL with professional controls and no fans is a different proposition.
    I was very surprised to hear Scomo say we could still practise social distancing! Well, surprised isn’t the right word. I understand some of their reasoning, but 1100 kids, about 100 staff, about 500 families... and we’re supposed to just go on, business as usual. I can’t go to the footy, but it’s OK to be surrounded by people all day at work
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

6. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those 'other arrangements' you so dismissively refer to well usually end up being retired grandparents, who, oddly enough, are the most at risk if they contract the virus.

Like it or not there's sound logic in the decision not to close schools.
    My children will attend school until experts who know a lot better than me and are a lot smarter than me tell me they shouldn't.

8. Likes Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dangerfield 18 months ago - 22 game season is far too long, let's shorten it to 18

Dangerfield late 2018 - umm, actually I'd like to play AFLX on top of the regular season for the extra cash

Dangerfield today - screw everybody losing their jobs and entire industries collapsing not to mention vulnerable people fearing for their lives, I want all of my cash so I'll play 22 games

This piece of shit is the official representative of the players.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes GVGjr, G-Mo77, azabob, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Feel sorry for the players who have to fly around the country, exposed to this.
    After today's announcememt by the AFLPA, I suspect that sympathy for the players will be in miniscule supply. They have a collective tin ear and no conprehension of how to read the room.

A 20% paycut and a 17 game season is unfortunate, but it is so much more fortunate than just about every other industry. Unemployment will double in the next few months, people are stressed about how they are going to cope day by day, let alone worry about some players kicking a ball around.

The lack of perspective from the AFLPA is staggering. Dare I say it, even City Hall and Gil are reading the room and understand the gravity of this issue.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

12. Likes soupman, BornInDroopSt'54, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I work in disability and Aged Care (trust me, I'm a nurse/practitioner, one day I will be a doctor) and I once went on a course where we spent an entire morning (3 hours plus) on handwashing technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    We did that at trade school, its funny how washing your hands is now something important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I work in a hospital and hand washing has always been important and I don't handle patients.
    Mandatory training every year.
    Fact: 25% of men don't wash their hands after going to the toilet. I see it at the footy when I go, guys urinating and walking straight out.

These campaigns are aimed at everyone, but especially men.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Two happy birthdays is always what I've been taught.

It's Happy birthday for hand washing and Stayin' Alive for chest compressions in CPR.

"ah huh ah huh, Stayin' alive, stayin' alive" *!*!*!*!ing breathe!!!! Please breathe"
    I'm actually do my basic life support this Thursday so yes staying alive is the one we use although I heard someone mention "Another Bites The Dust" but probably not ideal.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Dangerfield 18 months ago - 22 game season is far too long, let's shorten it to 18

Dangerfield late 2018 - umm, actually I'd like to play AFLX on top of the regular season for the extra cash

Dangerfield today - screw everybody losing their jobs and entire industries collapsing not to mention vulnerable people fearing for their lives, I want all of my cash so I'll play 22 games

This piece of shit is the official representative of the players.
    He did tell Dutton to FOAD though so he’s coming out of this alright for mine.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

16. Likes strebla, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Those 'other arrangements' you so dismissively refer to well usually end up being retired grandparents, who, oddly enough, are the most at risk if they contract the virus.

Like it or not there's sound logic in the decision not to close schools.
    My children will attend school until experts who know a lot better than me and are a lot smarter than me tell me they shouldn't.
    There’s absolutely zero logic in our alleged PM dismissively saying you can still practise social distancing whilst in a school. None. Hypothetical - adult is asymptomatic, yet has contracted the virus. They are forced to attend work, with, in my case, over 1000 people around them. They spread the virus to one other person, who takes it home.... I think you can work the rest out.

It’s fine to advocate schools remaining open, unless you’re someone who is actually in one.

Post Thanks / Like

I work in disability and Aged Care (trust me, I'm a nurse/practitioner, one day I will be a doctor) and I once went on a course where we spent an entire morning (3 hours plus) on handwashing technique.
    Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    We did that at trade school, its funny how washing your hands is now something important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I work in a hospital and hand washing has always been important and I don't handle patients.
    Mandatory training every year.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    There’s absolutely zero logic in our alleged PM dismissively saying you can still practise social distancing whilst in a school. None. Hypothetical - adult is asymptomatic, yet has contracted the virus. They are forced to attend work, with, in my case, over 1000 people around them. They spread the virus to one other person, who takes it home.... I think you can work the rest out.

It’s fine to advocate schools remaining open, unless you’re someone who is actually in one.
    My sister teaches English in Turkey, and last week the Government shut down all schools, today flights are banned from 20 countries, cafes, Theatres all retail is closed down except supermarkets and Chemists. There are only 47 recorded cases and no deaths, but Turkey is getting on the front foot. Meanwhile we are still half arsed in this country as we are scared of the economic impact and no concern for health and well being first.

For starters, just imagine the train and trams in the morning jam packed - I am glad I work from home. My wife walks to work.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

19. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    My sister teaches English in Turkey, and last week the Government shut down all schools, today flights are banned from 20 countries, cafes, Theatres all retail is closed down except supermarkets and Chemists. There are only 47 recorded cases and no deaths, but Turkey is getting on the front foot. Meanwhile we are still half arsed in this country as we are scared of the economic impact and no concern for health and well being first.

For starters, just imagine the train and trams in the morning jam packed - I am glad I work from home. My wife walks to work.
    So Dangerfield can’t take a 22 game season to Turkey in that case. Maybe Saudi Arabia could host and fund the players 22 game season.

The lack of any true leadership with the biggest sport in this country is almost unbelievable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So Dangerfield can’t take a 22 game season to Turkey in that case. Maybe Saudi Arabia could host and fund the players 22 game season.

The lack of any true leadership with the biggest sport in this country is almost unbelievable.
    Like the F1, no point cancelling if everything else is still running. We need a total lock down to stop the virus spreading.