Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  356
Page 15 of 49 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus: could the 2020 AFL season be called off?

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I hope supporters don't get pissed off and demand money back?
    Those 7,000 people waiting to see if they should join as members... We know what they're not doing now. Between this and the hole from pokies revenue, it's going to hurt the club a fair bit at a guess. Hopefully the AFEL will help the clubs, although I doubt it.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's a given. I don't blame people and won't shame them either. For me I'm financially stable, the money for a membership I see as a donation to the club more than anything and that's all it will be until I can atend a game if that happens. There are going to be lots of people unable to work at all soon. Picture a casual worker stood down due to the virus and their club they support asking for their money every month....ouch!

3. Thanks GVGjr, Eastdog, Max469 thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

EPL, La Liga & UEFA minimum 3 week suspension.

Pretty much every pro sport suspending games, except AFEL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

Like the EPL just waiting on a player to get infected.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd hope most members weather the storm but it's hard to be critical of anyone who might be impacted by this virus with their work etc putting their hand up for a partial or full refund.
    As much as we would all like to think our members will stick with the club during these testing times it doesn't mean we should think anything less of those who request a refund.

Just think of the 1000's of staff in the hospitality industry who now miss out on work each weekend when the games are cancelled for them. This is going to test a lot of people and we should respect our members enough that they will make the right decision given their circumstances.

We are a remarkably resilient club and our members will do what they can to support the club and while this is going to be a challenge the efforts of the President and his team over the last few years have put us in a strongest position ever to cover this.

I'm hoping our club sponsors stick with us as well
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

7. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Updated:

So susp/canceled: NBA, MLB, NHL, ATP, EPL, La Liga, UEFA & Europa, Aust F1 GP. Now add: French League Football, 3 more F1 GPS, Formula E, PGA Tour including the US Masters at Augusta, March Madness in the US and so on.

Not susp/canceled: AFEL, NRL, Super Rugby
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 14-03-2020 at 10:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the elite U/18 leagues will go ahead unimpacted and if the champs proceed unimpacted, then what impact that has on the draft. For us, JUH, Raak & MacPherson will probably be the bulk. But the player rankings and kids (who we tend to draft) who bloom late in the season might not get enough exposure. At first thought it's potentially bad for a lot of kids, and known quantities get higher bids, but my leave some diamonds in the rough on the board later. The potential of a more of a hit and miss draft result for almost all the clubs could be on the cards, while our priority access kids might cost a bit more. I wonder if state leagues will allow perhaps 6 players to return in 2021 as overage players. And/Or allow three players to develop at the state feeder clubs (ie Footscray) and give the clubs a priority access to them but no points discount. Just to give this year's kids every chance to realise their dream.

Post Thanks / Like

Updated:

So susp/canceled: NBA, MLB, NHL, ATP, EPL, La Liga, UEFA & Europa, Aust F1 GP. Now add: French League Football, 3 more F1 GPS, Formula E, PGA Tour including the US Masters at Augusta, March Madness in the US and so on.

Not susp/canceled: AFEL
    You can add NRL and Super Rugby to the not suspended/ cancelled list though i suspect we will see all this change in the next few days and there won't be any professional sport for a few months.

Wonder if this will trickle down to local junior competitions - suspect it will.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whythelongface View Post
    You can add NRL and Super Rugby to the not suspended/ cancelled list though i suspect we will see all this change in the next few days and there won't be any professional sport for a few months.

Wonder if this will trickle down to local junior competitions - suspect it will.
    Basketball SA have cancelled Junior district comps until at least Easter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I'd prefer they postpone it. Shit decision by the AFL but I'm betting this changes early next week.
    It is only a matter of time before a player tests positive, sending many of the players (if not all) in his circle to be isolated.
    This will force the AFL to postpone the season given how compromised the competition will have become.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I'd hope most members weather the storm but it's hard to be critical of anyone who might be impacted by this virus with their work etc putting their hand up for a partial or full refund.
    As much as we would all like to think our members will stick with the club during these testing times it doesn't mean we should think anything less of those who request a refund.

Just think of the 1000's of staff in the hospitality industry who now miss out on work each weekend when the games are cancelled for them. This is going to test a lot of people and we should respect our members enough that they will make the right decision given their circumstances.

We are a remarkably resilient club and our members will do what they can to support the club and while this is going to be a challenge the efforts of the President and his team over the last few years have put us in a strongest position ever to cover this.

I'm hoping our club sponsors stick with us as well
    No, I wouldn't blame anyone wanting a refund, or partial refund. I am just hoping it doesn't happen for the sake of the club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Right decision in the best interests of everyone’s health. Will be watching at home in the eastern suburbs in my reserve seat watching on TV cheering on the Dogs. Still could be more developments to come they might postpone the season.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Can't see the season going ahead to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like

This is how you deal with Coronavirus if you are serious about stopping it spread:

New Zealand will require all international passengers - including returning Kiwis - to self-isolate for a fortnight as the country locks down to ward off the spread of coronavirus
    We are an island, and we must contain the virus as well as keep it out. Our Government is too gutless to do this as all they care about is the impact on the economy and big business.

NZ one day team have cancelled the next two games and are quickly heading back
    Last edited by bornadog; 14-03-2020 at 06:17 PM.

18. Likes 1eyedog liked this post