Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  356
Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus: could the 2020 AFL season be called off?

I reckon we'll get to a max of 4 rounds (probably only 2) until it turns into a shambles and is abandoned.

Feel sorry for the players who have to fly around the country, exposed to this.

Are you going to be happy if the Bont gets it and it buggers his lungs? Yes, most young people survive, but not necessarily without consequences.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

2. Likes Sedat, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Chartering flights was mentioned so that teams could fly minus mixing with the public.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Chartering flights was mentioned so that teams could fly minus mixing with the public.
    Where do they land? Private airfields?

Chinese research has found that the virus hangs about in the air for 30 minutes and spreads at a range of 4.5 metres. Also lasts for days on hard surfaces (separate research).

Airports are one of the last places I'd want our players to be.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Really? So they'd be in a meeting keeping their distance from one another and that's more dangerous than a contact sport? Ok. As long as the footy is being played that's all that matters.
    No, it's got nothing to do with my desire to see AFL footy played and I am a bit offended by the inference. The expectations are that about 40% of the population are going to be infected. That's almost one in every two people. The actions being put in place by the government now are not about reducing the total number of infections, they are about reducing the total number of deaths and general chaos by ensuring our hospital system doesn't get overloaded by too many serious cases. The infection rate amongst AFL players will be much lower than the general public, even if they keep on playing games because they are one of the most medically monitored and cared for groups in society. Plus if they get infected they are the least likely to be severely impacted by it because of their youth and fitness. Even then, those who do get infected will most likely pick it up from community contact not contact with other players.
    Why do you think schools are not closed? Why do you think public events with less than 500 people are still going ahead? Is this because people want to see footy? Is this because the government is worried about the bottom line?
    Current predictions are for over 100,000 deaths in Australia. That is not going to be brought done by not playing footy, it is going to be brought down by the availability of high quality hospital care for those who need it.
    In a month or so when the infection rate is much higher i wouldn't advocate playing games. At that point the streets will be deserted and only supermarkets will be open.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

A doctor on CNN just saying doctors published a study in China which followed up those marked as ‘recovered from coronavirus’. The Chinese doc’s apparently found 20-30 lung capacity.

If this consistent with the strain getting around us, 20-30% lung capacity reduction is career over for elite athletes. I hope the players are getting the best advice about any risk to their career. Season start, fans and match payments are factors. But even modest lung capacity reduction would end careers.

7. Likes Dry Rot, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that the Hong Kong study based on a survey of 12 patients? The Doctors also stated that cardiovascular exercise should return the lung function. Basically click bait.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

9. Likes anfo27, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Before I Die View Post
    Is that the Hong Kong study based on a survey of 12 patients? The Doctors also stated that cardiovascular exercise should return the lung function. Basically click bait.
    No idea. I quit watching and reading news years back, one of the best things I’ve done. US politics I like though. I check the Vic health website periodically and that’s it. Although going to the supermarket feels like the End of Days recently, so I figure something is changing folks attitudes

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I have stayed away from this as I have neither the knowledge or understanding. I will say this if Peter Gordon says the Bulldogs will not participate in a match or the season as he will not expose anyone at the club I will back him 100%. I love my footy but would never want to be the one responsible for passing this on to anyone,nor would I want anyone associated with my club contacting this disease just so I could be "entertained". The smart play might just be let's shut up shop and gear up for 2021
    bulldogs are forever not just when they are winning

12. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Plus if they get infected they are the least likely to be severely impacted by it because of their youth and fitness.
    Not so, could be impacted for life with their lungs.

Post Thanks / Like

In a month or so when the infection rate is much higher i wouldn't advocate playing games. At that point the streets will be deserted and only supermarkets will be open.
    The infection will climb like buggery from now, not in 4 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Players have voted to play.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Players have voted to play.
    100% of the players? Absolutely not! I have a family member who is close friends with a player from a Vic club and they do not want to play and from what I'm told is not alone, not by a long way.

I just hope it's not a few heads from the AFLPA making decisions for an entire league.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    100% of the players? Absolutely not! I have a family member who is close friends with a player from a Vic club and they do not want to play and from what I'm told is not alone, not by a long way.

I just hope it's not a few heads from the AFLPA making decisions for an entire league.
    I reckon the ones on base wage living with their folks are more than happy to forgo playing.

Those on big dough with big expenses, kids etc, will be pushing to play and receive as many match payments as possible.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

i reckon they are crazy. and ill be honest i don't think anyone can now take this season seriously.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I reckon the ones on base wage living with their folks are more than happy to forgo playing.

Those on big dough with big expenses, kids etc, will be pushing to play and receive as many match payments as possible.
    Not many live with their parents do they? I thought most of the younger guys usually shared houses with teammates.

Isn't it the lower paid guys that rely on match payments? I thought for the guys at the upper end match payments made up only a small portion of their earnings so it shouldn't worry them too much.