Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  356
Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus: could the 2020 AFL season be called off?

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Im shattered.
    Hope you will be ok Chef
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    De Goey?

Won't somebody think of Jakey?

He may need to transition to sumo.
    Sumo is in front of empty stadiums at the moment. Likely to go on hiatus too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Were an Island and better positioned than say Europe. We needed to get onto the front foot as soon as the Wuhan thing started to escalate over there.
    We did. We were one of the first countries to close our borders to China. We have something like 20 times the number of international arrivals from China than we do from Europe. Had we not jumped the gun many weeks ahead of the rest of the world, it would have been absolute carnage in Australia.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We did. We were one of the first countries to close our borders to China. We have something like 20 times the number of international arrivals from China than we do from Europe. Had we not jumped the gun many weeks ahead of the rest of the world, it would have been absolute carnage in Australia.
    Yes we blocked Chinese arrivals to our benefit, but we were too China centric in our thinking and didn't give enough respect to the other avenues for the virus to enter via immigration (thanks ANZUS). And anyway, the only thing that saved us from early carnage was the country's chief medical officer enacting powers to ensure the government had to act within certain constraints, which at the time revolved around China. Make no mistake, without that legislated obligation this government would have shat the bed completely and we'd be Italy right now instead of wondering if we might be. Dumb luck, countered by public service oversight.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

6. Thanks Hotdog60 thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Hope you will be ok Chef
    Will find out today hopefully, im mentally prepared for us to be shut down while a far while.

Luckily my wife works in an industry thats an essential service. She may end up supporting me, our 3 kids, my son inlaw and our grand son.

Need to plant the veggie garden and get some chooks.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently chook theft is on the rise!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Will find out today hopefully, im mentally prepared for us to be shut down while a far while.

Luckily my wife works in an industry thats an essential service. She may end up supporting me, our 3 kids, my son inlaw and our grand son.

Silly question. My local pub home delivers the chef made meals at pub prices, plus delivery. Can the boss move into a delivery mode to keep the kitchen running?

Post Thanks / Like

As a public service announcement,

With my health I'd have no luck if I didn't have bad luck. I had a breathing issue years back and ended up in ICU on a ventilator. The worst of it was just waking up and not knowing where I was, which would not be an issue for those knowingly getting one with COVID19. You can't talk, but that's not big. You can write down to communicate with staff. When you're finished you need to cough and and they take it out. It feels weird, but I wouldn't call it painful. So if anyone you know is heading into hospital over the next period, and maybe getting put on a ventilator, it's not too bad. Especially since breathing is kind of important. The worst thing was after discharge needing the sleep propped up by lots of pillows to avoid any fluid going to the lung and pneumonia risk. Again, not a big problem.

Just thought I'd share my experience if it helps any.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 23-03-2020 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post

With my health I'd have no luck if I didn't have bad luck. I had a breathing issue years back and ended up in ICU on a ventilator. The worst of it was just waking up and not knowing where I was, which would be an issue for those knowingly getting one with COVID19. You can't talk, but that's not big. You can write down to communicate with staff. When you're finished you need to cough and and they take it out. It feels weird, but I wouldn't call it painful. So if anyone you know is heading into hospital over the next period, and maybe getting put on a ventilator, it's not too bad. Especially since breathing is kind of important. The worst thing was after discharge needing the sleep propped up by lots of pillows to avoid any fluid going to the lung and pneumonia risk. Again, not a big problem.

Thanks BT for that, I was actually thinking about it over the weekend when I saw some poor buggers in Italy and wondering what it would be like. Still not a fun experience.
    Last edited by bornadog; 23-03-2020 at 10:28 AM. Reason: typo

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BT for that, I was actually thinking about it over the weekend when I saw some poor buggers in Italy ans wondering what it would be like. Still not a fun experience.
    Not fun, but it's not all that bad also. It sounds a lot worse than the reality (as I experienced). If you know it's coming you can mentally prepare, which I think would make things a lot easier. And it's temporary and life saving. I wouldn't have a drop of anxiety about going on a ventilator if I needed to.

13. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With my health I'd have no luck if I didn't have bad luck. I had a breathing issue years back and ended up in ICU on a ventilator. The worst of it was just waking up and not knowing where I was, which would be an issue for those knowingly getting one with COVID19. You can't talk, but that's not big. You can write down to communicate with staff. When you're finished you need to cough and and they take it out. It feels weird, but I wouldn't call it painful. So if anyone you know is heading into hospital over the next period, and maybe getting put on a ventilator, it's not too bad. Especially since breathing is kind of important. The worst thing was after discharge needing the sleep propped up by lots of pillows to avoid any fluid going to the lung and pneumonia risk. Again, not a big problem.

Cheers BT. Despite working in palliative care and hospitals for years I have never seen a patient ventilated-that's a good thing apparently because it can be pretty confronting from what I have been told.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Cheers BT. Despite working in palliative care and hospitals for years I have never seen a patient ventilated-that's a good thing apparently because it can be pretty confronting from what I have been told.
    A good read here about what happens to your lungs

Post Thanks / Like

A good read here about what happens to your lungs
    I haven't had a cigarette for a tick over 18 months-it's amazing how motovated you can get watching your father die from lung cancer. 14th of August 2018 was my last cancer stick-how lucky am I?

I have even started playing competitive sport again. Chops turned up on my doorstep a couple of months ago and kidnapped me because they needed an extra number for European handball. Thing was my son came along too so we ended up having uneven numbers anyway! It was Ok we just kept running an extra defender so it was 4 v 3, it makes it more challenging.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

17. Likes Mofra, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Silly question. My local pub home delivers the chef made meals at pub prices, plus delivery. Can the boss move into a delivery mode to keep the kitchen running?
    I believe so yes, pubs and restaurants are able to do take away and delivery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I believe so yes, pubs and restaurants are able to do take away and delivery.
    Mates of mine have shut their pub as of Sunday but are doing just this, meal delivery service. Trying to keep as many staff in a job as possible.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers