Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  356
Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus: could the 2020 AFL season be called off?

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Good to see here in Bendigo we're taking it seriously. Driving home from work the Bunnings carpark is full. Next is the shopping complex and most of that is full as well. I drive from home to work and then home, isn't that what we're supposed to be doing unless a detour from that is absolutely essential?
    I overlook the IKEA car park in Richmond from where I live (save your comments born of jealousy for later), and it's still been a steady stream of people going in and out of their doors. Having said that, I'm going to be working from home in an apartment I've just set up since returning from O/S, and I've had to stock up on some things like additional power boards etc. recently as the older ones I had just weren't going to be reliable.

For the most part people are tyring to do better, but they're under-prepared, panicked and walking around with dirty arses so will take some time to get things completely right.

In the next few days we need to see more improvement, otherwise people won't cope when we go into full lockdown by the end of the week.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Thanks GVGjr, Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I'm probably going to lose my job. I only just got it and am still in probation so if there's any downturn I'll be the first out the door. Considering all the Courts are shut it feels pretty inevitable, and it almost killed me working to get to this point. The firm I was at before, although much smaller, has already had to make significant cuts.

I'm finding it really hard not to think selfishly about this. Probably why I was so ready to see the footy on when I knew it really shouldn't have been.
    Well if it's any consolation you'll be required to work twice as hard for the same money once everything switches back on again...……!

Try and stay positive mate, just do your best and be prepared to be surprised along the way. Things will get better, you're a smart dude and will bounce back if it does happen the way you think it will.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I want to say something encouraging but ive got nothing.

Lets just hope we all come out the other side sane.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Well if it's any consolation you'll be required to work twice as hard for the same money once everything switches back on again...……!

Try and stay positive mate, just do your best and be prepared to be surprised along the way. Things will get better, you're a smart dude and will bounce back if it does happen the way you think it will.
    Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Now that there's no footy and no anything else I'm finally beginning to appreciate how valuable this place is to my general wellbeing.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

5. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that there's no footy and no anything else I'm finally beginning to appreciate how valuable this place is to my general wellbeing.
    All the best HD, my wife works for a law firm and she is very anxious at the moment, wondering whether they will pull through this. They work in a very specialized area which could be impacted.

Hang in there as much as possible.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

For better or worse you're a child of this forum, you always will be mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Wishing all the best for HD, Sedat, BT, BAD, jeemak and every other great contributor to this site.

They are uncertain times but we all need more than ever to stay connected socially and this forum can play a big part in that.

Reach out if you need to speak to someone. GVG, might be worth pinning some support/psychological services to the top of the forum given the current climate.

Stay staunch, all. There will be better days ahead.

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Wishing all the best for HD, Sedat, BT, BAD, jeemak and every other great contributor to this site.

They are uncertain times but we all need more than ever to stay connected socially and this forum can play a big part in that.

Reach out if you need to speak to someone. GVG, might be worth pinning some support/psychological services to the top of the forum given the current climate.

Stay staunch, all. There will be better days ahead.
    Thanks TBB, stay safe, don't take anything for granted.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Some really great posts on here, can only repeat The Bulldogs Bite post. Best of luck to you all.

12. Likes Sedat, bornadog, The Pie Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I overlook the IKEA car park in Richmond from where I live (save your comments born of jealousy for later), and it's still been a steady stream of people going in and out of their doors. Having said that, I'm going to be working from home in an apartment I've just set up since returning from O/S, and I've had to stock up on some things like additional power boards etc. recently as the older ones I had just weren't going to be reliable.

For the most part people are tyring to do better, but they're under-prepared, panicked and walking around with dirty arses so will take some time to get things completely right.

In the next few days we need to see more improvement, otherwise people won't cope when we go into full lockdown by the end of the week.
    People gotta eat. Supos are one place I can accept. The steady stream out of Bunnings Coburg this morning as I drove past to my essential work is not.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the local eateries where I am are doing takeaway, but are crowd controlling the stores (Tape on the floor, one in-one out etc) and are being as sensible as they can be.

One of our local pubs is doing leave-on-the-doorstep home delivery.

15. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

coronavirus-threatens-billiondollar-sports-betting-industry

Every cloud has a silver lining I guess...

17. Thanks 1eyedog, Topdog thanked for this post
    Likes Sedat, bornadog, hujsh, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Most of the local eateries where I am are doing takeaway, but are crowd controlling the stores (Tape on the floor, one in-one out etc) and are being as sensible as they can be.

One of our local pubs is doing leave-on-the-doorstep home delivery.
    If you feel like Lasgne and can't be bothered cooking then:

https://www.broadsheet.com.au/melbou...ered-your-door

Post Thanks / Like

AFL pulls its $500m survival parachute to keep the game afloat

March 30, 2020 3:40pm
    Tom Morris
    FOX SPORTS

The AFL has secured a half-a-billion dollar line of credit from the banks to keep the game afloat.

Foxfooty.com.au can confirm clubs have been briefed on the developments, which the league was working hard to finalise over the weekend.

The line of credit, which is essentially a bank loan, was badly needed to fund the shortfalls associated with an abbreviated season and no crowds.

Gillon McLachlan has played a key role and has been supported by former Macquarie Capital boss Robin Bishop, who is an AFL commissioner.

The AFL can essentially borrow against Marvel Stadium, which it acquired in October 2016 for approximately $200 million.

It makes Marvel Stadium the league’s biggest asset and critical to the bank’s approval for a loan exceeding $500 million.

Nine has reported that the venue is valued at more than a billion dollars.

The AFL has taken over the treasury function of all clubs in unprecedented times. This is to ensure the financial viability of the game and to make sure money is managed correctly across the board.

Whatever previous distributions clubs received from the league have been thrown out the window. The collective industry wide approach has been welcomed by clubs, all of whom have been forced to stand down 80-90 per cent of its workforce due to the coronavirus crisis.

Only the most essential employees have been retained, and even many of them have had their work hours reduced to part-time.

To secure a line of credit, the AFL and AFLPA first needed to come to an agreement regarding the payment for the players so the league could inform the bank of its revenue projections.

On Friday evening, it was announced that the players would be paid 50 per cent of their wages for April and May, and then 50 per cent if games returned after that.

If matches don’t return, players will earn 30 per cent of their overall wage. Discussions are ongoing regarding the contractual implications of the season progressing beyond October 31.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/coup...dadca922307212

All 18 AFL clubs apply for JobKeeper assistance package in major coup for league

April 01, 2020 3:07pm
    Shayne Hope, AAP
    FOX SPORTS

The AFL’s 18 clubs have reportedly applied for the Federal Government’s JobKeeper assistance package.

The move comes after the AFL and many of the clubs were forced to stand down up to 80 per cent of their employees in the face of the financial firestorm caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Eligible employees are entitled to $1500 a fortnight under the $130 billion stimulus plan unveiled by Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Monday. The following day, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan indicated it was likely clubs would seek government assistance.

“This was an incredibly strong announcement by the Federal Government,” McLachlan told SEN.

“Our guys are working through it, but it feels like it’s going to apply to people in the industry who have been stood down.

“It’s obviously a huge plus and an incredibly positive thing for so many people.”

If the clubs’ applications are successful, the assistance could go some way towards ensuring they can ride out the massive financial hit being taken during the AFL shutdown period.

The AFL is committed to helping all 18 clubs survive beyond the coronavirus pandemic and will use part of the $500 million line of credit it secured with banks this week to ensure that happens.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Need the distraction of football and the enjoyment that it gives me more than ever. Missing footy so much. AFL. Local footy. Kids footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Need the distraction of football and the enjoyment that it gives me more than ever. Missing footy so much. AFL. Local footy. Kids footy.
    Me too. Have resorted to watching 2016 AFL season again (watched every game in late 2016/early 2017 and enjoyed the roller coaster ride all over again). Watching a game or two a week. Up to round 5 this time (gave round 3 vs hawks a miss this time as watching Bob go done in dying moments in current environment too much to bear).

How we overcame so many injuries is truly remarkable.

Sad to see ovals empty and no-one even playing kick to kick. Understandable though.

Easton Wood on video on dogs website notes difficulty or impossibility of keeping kicking skills up - not only do you need another adult to kick to. Plus you need enough space in your on yard to kick as well.
    Josie :)

Our day will come
    And we'll have everything.
    We'll share the joy
    Just like '54 again.