Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  356
Page 44 of 49 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus: could the 2020 AFL season be called off?

The ABC radio was discussing the Suns and Lions coming to Victoria somewhere near Round 15 and going into a Vic hub.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    The ABC radio was discussing the Suns and Lions coming to Victoria somewhere near Round 15 and going into a Vic hub.
    Yeah, makes sense. That allows for an extended quarantine break prior to finals.

Still think the season is 50/50 of being canned altogether at some stage.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I hear people saying cancel it, what is the overall benefit of that?

Of course this season is compromised, I am kind of choosing to embrace that and enjoy the crazy randomness. Thing is there's money to be made, which the industry desperately needs and I think something > nothing. For those who think it's meaningless, you can switch off. Options.

I can't believe I am being positive with AFL but I think they are being flexible and adaptive. I think we will see a season if the players are okay with doing what's needed. I believe the AFL knows that some clubs relocating to hubs is inevitable but trying to get in as many games as they can.

Before we came back, there was talk about being in hubs for 3 months. Now some clubs might need to go into hubs for 3-4 weeks. Qld ones might need to do 6 weeks if they want to win a flag.

4. Likes chef, Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if any Vic clubs will get proactive and move into a hub/base before they need to. Canvass players and staff. Move to NT. Play heaps of games at 'neutral' venue but more familiar with it than opponents. Get crowds and the dollars that follow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post

Of course this season is compromised, I am kind of choosing to embrace that and enjoy the crazy randomness. Thing is there's money to be made, which the industry desperately needs and I think something > nothing. For those who think it's meaningless, you can switch off. Options.
    I haven't gotten into the restart at all because i feel like its just all going to go downhill and end abruptly so I have watched about 20 minutes of game time in the past 3 weeks. It is an easy option if you really arent interested.

This site, Bonts mark and I'm kind of slowly getting back into it.

I actually think the AFL have handled this pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I haven't gotten into the restart at all because i feel like its just all going to go downhill and end abruptly so I have watched about 20 minutes of game time in the past 3 weeks. It is an easy option if you really arent interested.

This site, Bonts mark and I'm kind of slowly getting back into it.

I actually think the AFL have handled this pretty well.
    Yeah, I definitely can understand not getting into it. My thing is I don't get the logic of just cancelling it. Why would they? At the very least, there's $$ for footy industry. Like sorry guys, a whole bunch of you have lost of your jobs because we cancelled it so people would stop complaining about keeping it going.

8. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I haven't gotten into the restart at all because i feel like its just all going to go downhill and end abruptly so I have watched about 20 minutes of game time in the past 3 weeks.
    I just think someone is going to win the most incredible premiership ever won in the most incredible circumstances imaginable.

Sure - winning a flag after a full pre-season and a pre-set fixture/finals series is admirable. But this? Overcoming interruptions, hastily rescheduled games, modified playing conditions, quite frankly ASTONISHING umpiring, these things called HUBS, key staff including assistant coaches being stood down, weird game times, irregular inter-game breaks, zero crowds, small crowds...I could go on forever.

Win this and THAT is a story to tell.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

10. Likes bornadog, anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mark Stevens tweeted earlier tonight:
    "The fixture so complicated some well placed sources tonight are suggesting it may not be as simple as playing each side once. Could permutations and restrictions mean we have double ups late in season to get it done?"

I know that we have had a compromised fixture for a long time, but that would be a whole new level - imagine if we had to play the top side twice, and didn't face Adelaide at all?

If we think it's been crazy so far, I think we need to be prepared for a whole new level of craziness - fastest side to adapt, gets the rewards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Yeah, I definitely can understand not getting into it. My thing is I don't get the logic of just cancelling it. Why would they? At the very least, there's $$ for footy industry. Like sorry guys, a whole bunch of you have lost of your jobs because we cancelled it so people would stop complaining about keeping it going.
    Cancel the season and I can't see many clubs surviving. The AFL needs the TV money to prop up the clubs, besides as you say why cancel.

To setup a hub for Vic clubs, there would need to be a mini break so the clubs can isolate for 14 days, and then the competition can continue.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Cancel the season and I can't see many clubs surviving. The AFL needs the TV money to prop up the clubs, besides as you say why cancel.

To setup a hub for Vic clubs, there would need to be a mini break so the clubs can isolate for 14 days, and then the competition can continue.
    I am pretty sure that Geelong and Collingwood are being forced to isolate when they head West, but are allowed to play each other in that period. This might be a potential work-around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I am pretty sure that Geelong and Collingwood are being forced to isolate when they head West, but are allowed to play each other in that period. This might be a potential work-around.
    Also I believe GC are going to do a bit of travelling as well.

EDIT: The winner is ... Sydney: NSW likely to host next hub

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It's like trying to solve a Rubik's cube and you finally get the tiles to almost match...

And then someone goes and adds a new colour.

If you end up having to play some teams more than once and others not at all, the flag deserves a big fat asterix. That's bollocks.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I just think someone is going to win the most incredible premiership ever won in the most incredible circumstances imaginable.

Sure - winning a flag after a full pre-season and a pre-set fixture/finals series is admirable. But this? Overcoming interruptions, hastily rescheduled games, modified playing conditions, quite frankly ASTONISHING umpiring, these things called HUBS, key staff including assistant coaches being stood down, weird game times, irregular inter-game breaks, zero crowds, small crowds...I could go on forever.

Win this and THAT is a story to tell.
    New Cubs manager David Ross on competing in a shortened season: "If they're passing out a trophy, I want it."
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

17. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    New Cubs manager David Ross on competing in a shortened season: "If they're passing out a trophy, I want it."
    What a great attitude!

I keep hearing about an asterix on the season...I just think, yeah...an asterix to indicate the most incredibly resilient team ever!
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there's a lot of fun aspects to it.

I for one cannot wait for football in October, maybe November, possibly even December. I like the random kick off times and fluid draw.

I watched at least 2 quarters of every game on the weekend live, and am probably as active on here atm as I have ever been.

Also the Covid stuff means we don't have those bullshit weeks where we are constantly bombarded with random old blokes in the medias opinions on "the state of the game", and "controversial rule change that will definitely open the game up but in reality won't". I mean they nearly got it started this week but instead Victorias Coronavirus situation came in and stole the limelight.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

20. Likes bornadog liked this post