Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  356
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus: could the 2020 AFL season be called off?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    You do realise that the 20% require hospital resources that no country has?

Wrong. Seasonal flu mortality rate is 0.1%. Covid 19 is least 10 to 20 twenty times that.

Wrong. Curiously, they seem to be unaffected and/or have little symptoms.

Correct. At least twice or three times as infectious.

Maybe right, maybe wrong. There is no data that suggests that this a winter disease, but some believe that summer in the northern hemisphere will give some relief. There is some research that believes it does not like warmer temps.

That's the good news.

Bad news is that we downunder are heading towards winter.
    And there is no remedy. Try telling 70+ year olds not to worry.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    And there is no remedy. Try telling 70+ year olds not to worry.
    Agreed.

Current stats say that 15% of them infected will die.

My mum is in that group.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Look I feel for all people who are affected and afflicted by this, but I don't believe the level of panic is justified. You say that the flu has a mortality rate of .1% and Covid 19 has a mortality rate 10 to 20 times that. That sounds enormous, but still equates to 1% to 2% of people infected.

In perspective, the Australian population is around 21m - that means if everyone was infected 420k people would be expected to die. The fact is not everyone is going to get infected. China has a population of 1.3 billion people and they have about 80,000 infected. What appears to be happening is that if government's can get ahead of it, they can slow the rate at which the virus spreads.

The argument that 20% of people would require hospitalisation is a red herring. It is not like you will have 20% of the population infected and requiring hospitalisation all at the same time! At its peak there will be shortages yes, but that peak will pass.

I get people are concerned, but this is not a population kliller. The virus would need a mortality rate of 20% plus and an infection level significantly above what Covid 19 is. As for not following WHO guidelines, I know who I'd prefer to get my information off and someone who posts on YouTube isn't one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

SXSW cancelled.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

UCL game in Germany to be played with no crowd.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Look I feel for all people who are affected and afflicted by this, but I don't believe the level of panic is justified. You say that the flu has a mortality rate of .1% and Covid 19 has a mortality rate 10 to 20 times that. That sounds enormous, but still equates to 1% to 2% of people infected.

In perspective, the Australian population is around 21m - that means if everyone was infected 420k people would be expected to die. The fact is not everyone is going to get infected. China has a population of 1.3 billion people and they have about 80,000 infected. What appears to be happening is that if government's can get ahead of it, they can slow the rate at which the virus spreads.

The argument that 20% of people would require hospitalisation is a red herring. It is not like you will have 20% of the population infected and requiring hospitalisation all at the same time! At its peak there will be shortages yes, but that peak will pass.

I get people are concerned, but this is not a population kliller. The virus would need a mortality rate of 20% plus and an infection level significantly above what Covid 19 is. As for not following WHO guidelines, I know who I'd prefer to get my information off and someone who posts on YouTube isn't one of them.
    Agree regarding sources of information. Primordial fears are exacerbated by confusion; experts in epidemiology from sanctioned sources are making the most sense to me (Department of Health) . As for all the WHO bashing, there is some justification but I believe it's a little over the top. The problem lies with the fact they have to interface with national governments to fulfill their goal of "health for all". Its their only conduit. So unfortunately they have to deal with governments like China who probably have certain demands that some would consider unreasonable (including me eg not allowing Taipei to have a seat at the table); it's that or they walk away and they're in the dark like the Russians did during the cold war protesting the United State's influence. I agree they need work, you don't have to search far to see their recent failings (slow response to Ebola outbreak) however I think they're necessary to provide a coordinated response to something like this and we don't want confidence in them diminished too far as this spreads more panic.

Back to our club though, those of us going to the season launch received information yesterday outlining the club's measures. Basically no touching. I can paste it if anyone wants the whole thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Back to our club though, those of us going to the season launch received information yesterday outlining the club's measures. Basically no touching. I can paste it if anyone wants the whole thing.
    I am going but my mate booked the tickets, so I haven't got it. Can you please paste, maybe under Events thread, or PM
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I am going but my mate booked the tickets, so I haven't got it. Can you please paste, maybe under Events thread, or PM
    Yes no worries will place in events.

9. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam Switkowski named as the Dockers player tested for Corona Virus. Hasn't played in the pre-season games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Agreed.

Current stats say that 15% of them infected will die.

My mum is in that group.
    Mine too with a heart murmur. All good for those at the Desktop offering their opinions they're entitled to them, but people are / have been affected in different ways. The virus affects in different ways too. You can have no symptoms, flu-like symptoms or be in your 40s and healthy yet be bed-ridden for a week with heavy sweats and a fever every night. Then there's the deaths. Sounds shit.

Italy is getting hammered, it's coming here and there will be a lot of grief throughout a number of communities.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL announces it will play games with no crowds IF mass gatherings are banned by the Federal Government because of the #coronavirus

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Sam Switkowski named as the Dockers player tested for Corona Virus. Hasn't played in the pre-season games.
    Docker Sam Switkowski has been cleared of coronavirus.

14. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    SXSW cancelled.
    Indian Wells the 5th biggest Tennis tournament in the world cancelled.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Not cancelled, but the Osaka Sumo Basho just kicked off with no spectators, only officials and the rickishi's entourages allowed.

This'd typically be a packed house for the full fifteen days of the tournament with the royal family in attendance.

BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Dan Andrews just announced that it’s inevitable that schools and offices will be closed.

Get ready for Round 1 to be played in an empty stadium.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.