Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  356
Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus: could the 2020 AFL season be called off?

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Can't see the season going ahead to be honest.
    I think one of the options the AFL should consider is shutting down the games and the byes now and looking at a 17 game season where you play each team once. That would give us something line 7 weeks from now to work out if games can be played in front of crowds etc. If necessary a final series between the top 4 to 6 teams and that would buy us some more time

While it's looking grim at the moment there are a range of options that could be considered which could still give us a competitive season

I noticed that the AFL is considering a draft to top up playing lists in case players have to sit things out for a period of time
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think one of the options the AFL should consider is shutting down the games and the byes now and looking at a 17 game season where you play each team once. That would give us something line 7 weeks from now to work out if games can be played in front of crowds etc. If necessary a final series between the top 4 to 6 teams and that would buy us some more time

While it's looking grim at the moment there are a range of options that could be considered which could still give us a competitive season

I noticed that the AFL is considering a draft to top up playing lists in case players have to sit things out for a period of time
    They can also utilze some weeks in October. Mens T20 world cup starts October 25 at the G
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    They can also utilze some weeks in October. Mens T20 world cup starts October 25 at the G
    There are a number of options but putting back the start of the season for 7 weeks or so rather than playing in front of empty stadiums is, I think, a better compromise.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    This is how you deal with Coronavirus if you are serious about stopping it spread:

We are an island, and we must contain the virus as well as keep it out. Our Government is too gutless to do this as all they care about is the impact on the economy and big business.

NZ one day team and cancelled the next two games and are quickly heading back
    Agree BAD. I do not watch TV nor listen to radio much so maybe already in progress.... Also think Govt should be blitzing us with precautions we should be taking to be personally responsible incl internet, social media etc.

6. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dunno if I posted this before - Dr John Campbell is a great source of timely info, well explained. UK based, so daily updates come in overnight.

Good daily updates, plus additional useful relevant vids about associated subjects

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCF9...xg3QIBupFtBDxg
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

8. Likes bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just read Gov has apparently started tv, radio, newspaper, social media & bus stops.
    Last edited by josie; 14-03-2020 at 08:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Just read Gov has apparently started tv, radio, newspaper, social media & bus stops.
    How many weeks late, but I guess better late than never
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes josie, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    There are a number of options but putting back the start of the season for 7 weeks or so rather than playing in front of empty stadiums is, I think, a better compromise.
    The problem is that the govt's aim is to smooth the hump of infections and push this out for many months.

If that works (unlike in Italy) it will help health and medical resources but screw winter sports.

Remember, it took 3 months to get it under control in Wuhan, using extreme measures.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting research from China

Coronavirus can travel twice as far as official ‘safe distance’ and stay in air for 30 minutes, Chinese study finds

https://www.scmp.com/print/news/chin...tance-and-stay

Not good for AFL players travelling interstate

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an account of what is happening in Italy. We are 2 -4 weeks behind them.

Warning: this is quite disturbing

From an Italian to the rest of the world: you have no idea about what's coming.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/c...tm_term=fhxap2

15. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Here's an account of what is happening in Italy. We are 2 -4 weeks behind them.

Warning: this is quite disturbing

From an Italian to the rest of the world: you have no idea about what's coming.

https://www.reddit.com/r/China_Flu/c...tm_term=fhxap2
    DR - full credit to you for being brave enough to call it out on this forum when nobody else was ready to. You helped me prepare my family sooner than I may have and I appreciate you getting it out there.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes Dry Rot, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    DR - full credit to you for being brave enough to call it out on this forum when nobody else was ready to. You helped me prepare my family sooner than I may have and I appreciate you getting it out there.
    Thanks and you are welcome mate.

Hopefully I have helped others here too. I have certainly copped some "alarmist" flak on forums for doing that. Other friends think I am just weird because I have a special interest- see below.

I started work on potential pandemics in 2005 (bird flu) and flu and pandemics have been a hobby of mine ever since. I was one of the first in Australia to pick up on Swine Flu in Mexico in 2009.

If you want to know why medical folk shat their pants about Swine Flu, google Spanish Flu - Swine Flu is genetically the grandson of this.

I always keep an eye out for cases of unexplained viral pneumonia in China, where most flus originate.

I always knew this day would come, but thought it would be bird flu.

Either way, her it is.

Please watch Dr John Campbell - very useful.

19. Thanks josie, Bulldog4life, Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With New Zealand's travel restrictions now in place its widely expected that the Super Rugby season will be called off.

There's just no way to manage it logistically. Ditto for the Bledisloe Cup/Tri-Nations. It's just not going to happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Thanks and you are welcome mate.

Hopefully I have helped others here too. I have certainly copped some "alarmist" flak on forums for doing that. Other friends think I am just weird because I have a special interest- see below.

I started work on potential pandemics in 2005 (bird flu) and flu and pandemics have been a hobby of mine ever since. I was one of the first in Australia to pick up on Swine Flu in Mexico in 2009.

If you want to know why medical folk shat their pants about Swine Flu, google Spanish Flu - Swine Flu is genetically the grandson of this.

I always keep an eye out for cases of unexplained viral pneumonia in China, where most flus originate.

I always knew this day would come, but thought it would be bird flu.

Either way, her it is.

Please watch Dr John Campbell - very useful.
    Same.

I pulled my kids out of school last Monday and even got a phone call from school saying it wasn't necessary. We missed two parties in play centres last weekend, one of them was my son's best friend. That was tough love.

Reactive Government measures are like trying to catch water. We must practice social distancing as much as possible to slow the spread of this thing to ensure it does not get out of hand as fast as it has in Europe. We need to give our health professionals the best chance of coping when epicentres start opening up in Australia.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

22. Likes josie, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Here in the UK we are expecting the Govt to cave next week and close schools etc.

Mass gatherings still allowed so far though. The Cat Empire were great last night!
    I played cricket with the guy who plays keyboards in Cat Empire. According to him he isn't a 'real' member of the band, he sees himself as a payed employee who works for a set wage and doesn't take a cut of the royalties-I've known a lot of musicians but I've never seen a set up like that. I've known bands where they ALL take a set wage and the rest is ploughed back into recording, paying for the van and all the equipment-Painters and Dockers worked on that model for years and they are fairly well off nowadays because the money is still rolling in whereas most of their contemporaries have pissed all of their money away on sex and drugs and rockn'roll.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.