Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  356
Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus: could the 2020 AFL season be called off?

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Me too. Have resorted to watching 2016 AFL season again (watched every game in late 2016/early 2017 and enjoyed the roller coaster ride all over again). Watching a game or two a week. Up to round 5 this time (gave round 3 vs hawks a miss this time as watching Bob go done in dying moments in current environment too much to bear).

How we overcame so many injuries is truly remarkable.

Sad to see ovals empty and no-one even playing kick to kick. Understandable though.

Easton Wood on video on dogs website notes difficulty or impossibility of keeping kicking skills up - not only do you need another adult to kick to. Plus you need enough space in your on yard to kick as well.
    Well he could if he sanitised the football and his hands, and sought out a partner who did the same, surely? Just have to take the ball on the hands, and regularly sanitise.

I've been exercising in parks over the last few days and it is completely amazing to see so many people out as families exercising in nature. Sure, it's going to be pretty bleak for a few months but I sincerely hope that once winter is done with people continue to do that rather than reverting back to type.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Blessed to have a backyard bigger enough to kick the footy with my 14 year old son. Still feel like a kid kicking the Sherrin around. Love it.

3. Likes azabob, josie, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Blessed to have a backyard bigger enough to kick the footy with my 14 year old son. Still feel like a kid kicking the Sherrin around. Love it.
    It was the tonic for me a few days ago.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

5. Likes angelopetraglia liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    The house my kids grew up in was a rental but we ended up putting soccer nets up and marked a penalty area out-we built a big multi roomed tree house too. The property manager was an old school friend of mine so he didn't really care what I did as long as I paid the rent. Hr was like our fairy godfather.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

7. Likes josie, angelopetraglia, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

Have been offline and away from Sydney and my mighty iMac sorting out some weird crap. Back now.

If I spot some interesting articles I will post them. John Campbell remains a good source of info.

Here's an interesting article about how the lockdown has affected our cities

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...ities/12121524
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

9. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are interested in the economic impacts of CV, have a listen to Satyajit Das on COVID 19 and the financial system.

One of the best financial commentators comes out of retirement to talk to Phillip Adams on Late Night Live

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...id-19/12113450

Well worth a listen NB supply chains and lack of resilience
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    Hi all,

Have been offline and away from Sydney and my mighty iMac sorting out some weird crap. Back now.

If I spot some interesting articles I will post them. John Campbell remains a good source of info.

Here's an interesting article about how the lockdown has affected our cities

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-...ities/12121524
    I don't mind John Campbell, bit of a fuddy duddy but he's relatively even keeled when it comes to the health side of things.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Dana White, president of the UFC, has just announced publicly that a private island is about to be secured to hold their MMA events until the pandemic is over. He was very light on the details when discussing with a journalist and I'd give this a 25% chance of actually working out as there are surely sports commission issues, liability issues that will be very hard to overcome.

Thoughts?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Dana White, president of the UFC, has just announced publicly that a private island is about to be secured to hold their MMA events until the pandemic is over. He was very light on the details when discussing with a journalist and I'd give this a 25% chance of actually working out as there are surely sports commission issues, liability issues that will be very hard to overcome.

Thoughts?
    I saw this, it's the most Dana White thing ever and totally batshit insane. It's like Mortal Kombat coming to life.

What happens when the fighters get hurt and need emergency medical attention? Is he going to build a hospital as well, or just fly back to mainland US and take a bed off someone with the virus?

(ngl 249 looks incedible though)
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts?
    It's a crazy move, some fighters can't even leave their country
    Still I believe they had Wrestlemania over the weekend which isn't the same level of contact as MMA but there is still plenty of contact
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's a crazy move, some fighters can't even leave their country
    Still I believe they had Wrestlemania over the weekend which isn't the same level of contact as MMA but there is still plenty of contact
    WM was pre-taped/heavily edited, and the main matches were either 2 minutes long, or shot cinematic style and weren't really matches at all.

I honestly don't see how on earth the UFC can push ahead.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    WM was pre-taped/heavily edited, and the main matches were either 2 minutes long, or shot cinematic style and weren't really matches at all.

OK, I saw something on Youtube and there was plenty of contact in one of the "matches"

The UFC is taking a lot of risks and I don't think they need to

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts?
    That is one of the scenario the AFL is thinking about. Not quite an Island, but rather three clusters where the players are isolated and they play. Dangerfield says it is a no go.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That is one of the scenario the AFL is thinking about. Not quite an Island, but rather three clusters where the players are isolated and they play. Dangerfield says it is a no go.
    Isn't it being considered more around how to get 5 games completed for each team in 3 to 3.5 weeks? 6 teams in each group with minimal travel etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

Yes it was pretaped and edited, but there was plenty of contact. Orton v Edge one prime example.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]