Thanks Thanks:  86
Likes Likes:  356
Page 34 of 49 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coronavirus: could the 2020 AFL season be called off?

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If there is a silver lining to this mess, it's that we are being forced to look at what we have and what we've taken for granted and appreciate it a hell of a lot more.
    I'm cynical by nature...…..not sure if anyone's picked up on that over the years, but I'm on the fence as to whether this will lead to society showing a better side of itself as a result of the isolation and the adversity, or whether poor behaviours will be doubled down upon.

If the GFC is anything to go by the gap between rich and poor will get bigger on the other side, we'll prioritise personal benefit over the greater good (think franking credits vs. climate change action), and the common worker and the young will bear the brunt of the fallout.

I guess I really hope it will be different this time around, right now it's way too early to tell.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes Twodogs, josie, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm cynical by nature...…..not sure if anyone's picked up on that over the years, but I'm on the fence as to whether this will lead to society showing a better side of itself as a result of the isolation and the adversity, or whether poor behaviours will be doubled down upon.

If the GFC is anything to go by the gap between rich and poor will get bigger on the other side, we'll prioritise personal benefit over the greater good (think franking credits vs. climate change action), and the common worker and the young will bear the brunt of the fallout.

I guess I really hope it will be different this time around, right now it's way too early to tell.
    One thing that has hit home for alot of young people is going through an economic crisis. For the past 28 years we have basically enjoyed growth of the economy and pretty good times overall (I know not for all).

A lot of young people haven't experienced this before and now find themselves unemployed or reduced working hours, but still need cash for paying either rent or a mortgage or to just eat. I think this will change society and make people think differently about their careers, savings, and maybe having to hold back a bit with expenditure once this is all over.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Get ready for even tougher measures. NZ has already started the process to complete lockdown only allowing real essential services related to food and health. Won't be long and we will all have to stay home.

Victoria over 400 now, and total Australia up to 1887

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Across the sea it's been used as an opportunity to try and create a slush fund. Some of the laws looking to get passed while we're all distracted aren't exactly helping the 'common man'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Get ready for even tougher measures. NZ has already started the process to complete lockdown only allowing real essential services related to food and health. Won't be long and we will all have to stay home.

Victoria over 400 now, and total Australia up to 1887
    The UK has gone into a full lockdown, we'll be doing the same soon.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that has hit home for alot of young people is going through an economic crisis. For the past 28 years we have basically enjoyed growth of the economy and pretty good times overall (I know not for all).

A lot of young people haven't experienced this before and now find themselves unemployed or reduced working hours, but still need cash for paying either rent or a mortgage or to just eat. I think this will change society and make people think differently about their careers, savings, and maybe having to hold back a bit with expenditure once this is all over.
    It's amazing that during those 28 years of prosperity real wage growth has stagnated and the cost of living has sky rocketed, while job security has been diluted year on year.

People thinking differently about their careers is one thing, but I can't see businesses that have been exposed to high quotients of permanent and permanent part time workforces doing anything other than focusing on the recruitment of casual labour going forward. It's going to be really tough to find job security for along time.

Post Thanks / Like

and last weekend we allowed a cruise ships to dock in Sydney and allowed people to disembark with coronavirus. Someone in Border Force (Dutton) should be sacked over that.

Yes we did a great job stopping people coming from China, but that was a no brainer as we have over 200,000 Chinese students in Australia and most like to go home for CNY. As I said earlier in this thread, we should have closed off all borders earlier. We knew the USA was an issue, as most of the infections came from there, yet we held off.

Anyway we have now, so that is good.

Current known infected 1709

There is a concept in politics known as the useful idiot. You give a title to someone and then pour all the scorn and blame on them while the person who actually made the decision just takes the middle path and escapes blame.

Peter Dutton is not the immigration minister, David Coleman is.

As far as the government is concerned this will be David Coleman's fault, not Dutton's. Coleman wont care, his LNP mates will organize a sweet gig for him.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Does the useful idiot know they're the useful idiot?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    If you have to ask...

12. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's amazing that during those 28 years of prosperity real wage growth has stagnated and the cost of living has sky rocketed, while job security has been diluted year on year.

People thinking differently about their careers is one thing, but I can't see businesses that have been exposed to high quotients of permanent and permanent part time workforces doing anything other than focusing on the recruitment of casual labour going forward. It's going to be really tough to find job security for along time.
    I don't want to turn this into a political thing, but most of the wage growth has stagnated in the past 7 years.

Casualisation of the workforce is already in full force. I think workers will demand more permanent roles, but whether they get it is another thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If you have to ask...
    Is it me? I would have thought I'd have to be useful first.
    "It's over. It's all over."

15. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to turn this into a political thing, but most of the wage growth has stagnated in the past 7 years.

Casualisation of the workforce is already in full force. I think workers will demand more permanent roles, but whether they get it is another thing.
    Time will tell I guess. Hand wringing isn't useful right now, may as well focus on the hand washing piece...…...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Typically they work it out afterwards. As they sit at their big new desk in their big new corner office.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to turn this into a political thing....
    With all due respect, it is a little late for that comment. But to be fair to you, you're not the only person to politicise this site on occasion.

Social media at the best of times is a toxic cesspit of filth from all sides of the politicial divide. On 'woof' we are all on a unity ticket as Bulldog supporters - I could care less what policital persuation anybody on here supports because frankly it is irrelevant. I don't mind at all criticism of specific actions (such as the appalling stuff-up by the NSW govt with the Ruby Princess and the non-action on canceling the Grand Prix until the damage was done) but some of the commentary has, no matter how well-intentioned, veered into toxic social media territory. Whether it's Peter Dutton, Penny Wong or any independent or small party politician that has fallen ill, I wouldn't wish harm on anybody.

This crisis is bipartisan and deeply affects all of us. That our democratically elected Federal Govt and all democratically elected state and territory leaders are working together around the clock is a wonderful spirit of unity that I am eternally grateful for. They won't make every correct decision but they are working 20 hour days trying to do everything possible to protect 25 million people as best as they can

I've just lost my job as have others on here, not to mention some others have tragically lost their livelihoods after spending many years of hard work and dedication setting up their own successful businesses. My thoughts are only with our commulity members who are facing an unpalatable new reality today through absolutely no fault of their own, and not on which party they happen to support in politics. Hopefully 'woof' can continue to provide each of us all with little slivers of happiness to help us get through every traumatic day.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you are going ok Sedat.

20. Likes Sedat, chef liked this post